Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles

moxie

The voice of reason, sense and exasperation
Staff member
Got an email saying that Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles for the GP2x/Wiz is now available to download for free. For those of you who don't know it, it is an absolutely excellent block puzzle game, originally developed for the GP2x, and then ported to Wiz, Dreamcast and now lately to windows, apparently.

This runs excellently on the Pandora using Ginge, with the added benefit that the Pandoras controls are so so so much better than the blasted stick on the GP2x. Finally the cursor box moves where I want it to!

Nobody who has any sort of interest whatsoever in block puzzlers should miss this one, especially now that it is free. And whilst you are there, donate to the team (it is made by two brothers, as a very independent venture) or order some personalized sprites or something - These guys deserve every dollar they get.

Go git. Now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got an email saying that Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles for the GP2x/Wiz is now available to download for free. For those of you who don't know it, it is an absolutely excellent block puzzle game, originally developed for the GP2x, and then ported to Wiz, Dreamcast and now lately to windows, apparently.

This runs excellently on the Pandora using Ginge, with the added benefit that the Pandoras controls are so so so much better than the blasted stick on the GP2x. Finally the cursor box moves where I want it to!

Nobody who has any sort of interest whatsoever in block puzzlers should miss this one, especially now that it is free. And whilst you are there, donate to the team (it is made by two brothers, as a very independent venture) or order some personalized sprites or something - These guys deserve every dollar they get.

Go git. Now.
Thanks for heads up will be trying this

Link to the download for lazy amongst you

http://yuanworks.s3.amazonaws.com/wind-water/download/WindAndWater_GP2XWIZ.zip

Someone should wrap this in Ginge.
Go ahead, I won't stop you ;) Although...the fact that you can download it for free does not automatically mean you are allowed to wrap and redistribute it. Better check the license first.

You can launch the game directly from within the Ginge menu btw. No real need to wrap it.

Great news, I was looking forward to playing this game on my Pandora! I just bought the sprite pack, I'll use a pic of my girlfriend, let's see how surprised she'll be. ^^

Great news, I was looking forward to playing this game on my Pandora! I just bought the sprite pack, I'll use a pic of my girlfriend, let's see how surprised she'll be. ^^

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on my old F100. Ohh well, Ill probably play it on Pandora, just would have been nice if it worked on my 2x for the wife.

Oh, wow, this is fantastic news. I'll have to take a look at this. :)

Many thanks for the heads-up.

This shouts for a repack via Ginge. I will take a look at it later tomorrow if noone tackled it till then.

I'll check this but I'll wait till I have my pandora and play it first on that platform

I mustve d/l dozens of these type games on the iPhone, these and arkanoid/breakout type games are great for when you only picking up the game for a short while, quick couple levels, ill take your recommendation for it, in fact I might actually d/l it tonight and start prepping an SD card, been putting that task on standby for a while and saves me forgetting the name of this game in, what, two months

Thanks for the heads up Moxie, looks great on Pandora via Ginge.

Seems like the guys at Yuan Works really put a lot of effort into this. Definitely added to my Ginge essentials list. :)

I know Ginge isn't really that big or anything, but why bother to actually wrap the app and Ginge into a single archive?

You don't combine emulators and individual roms either (Yes, Ginge is not an emulator, I know).

Having them combined just makes it more work to upgrade Ginge. Now Wine does suffer of varying compatibility amongst different versions, such that it becomes useful to have multiple wine versions. Is this a big issue with Ginge as well?

Why not just associate Ginge with the gp2x executables? This actually raises another question, do we have hooks to add/remove associations with mounting/unmounting of a PND?

This shouts for a repack via Ginge. I will take a look at it later tomorrow if noone tackled it till then.

As someone else said - You'd better check the license for that. I can imagine that the brothers would like to at least keep track of downloads, if they have now stopped receiving payments for this.

The right thing to do probably would be to mail them and say "Hey, we can wrap this with Ginge in a pnd, and you can host it amongst your other downloads". This way, we get a pnd, they keep control over their downloads, and (as an added bonus) the download statistics (if good enough) might convince them to do a native port :)

As someone else said - You'd better check the license for that. I can imagine that the brothers would like to at least keep track of downloads, if they have now stopped receiving payments for this.

The right thing to do probably would be to mail them and say "Hey, we can wrap this with Ginge in a pnd, and you can host it amongst your other downloads". This way, we get a pnd, they keep control over their downloads, and (as an added bonus) the download statistics (if good enough) might convince them to do a native port :)
This... also in the PND you could add a nice HTML manual, etc and provide links to purchasing the custom sprites. :)

pre-ordered this back in 2007 (back when they were offering the custom sprites) - this game really is a labor of love. great attention to detail in all aspects.

They're offering the custom sprites again, as they only sell the Dreamcast version, now.

The dreamcast version is really tempting but I'm low on cash, so I'll wait for my Pandora to play it.

(and may buy a custom sprite set to support their great work)

I have, at times, considered buying a Dreamcast for the sole reason of playing W&W with decent controls on a big screen. Now I have my pandora, so it is no longer necessary :)

I've contacted them about the PND repack and possible ways of distributing that, maybe even on their own website.

I'm now awaiting their response. So lets wait.

Back