Wind And Water: Puzzle Battles Teaser Demo Soon!

I really like such Puzzle Games. And without "Super Puzzle Fighter II" on GP2X I still search for the ultimate GP2X Puzzle Game (Tilematch was close on that ^^)

Can't wait for the Demo. Hope the Download will be 56k-Modem-user-friendly (don't laugh ^^""" )

And I have the song "Fire Water Burn" from the Bloodhound Gang in my head when I think on this game here....hm...just why.... :lol:

Hi, I too love puzzle games and puzzle fighter is one of my favs :)

It's not too 56k-modem-friendly, but it's about 10MB (with music) but we did the best we could :) hope you can download it and if you can't we'll split the zip file, just tell us.

Never heard that song! But if I did you could swear the name for our game is a ripoff! :D
Have played "Puzzle Fighter" endless on the Dreamcast. Great game with interesting Game-Modes.
10MB for the Demo is OK. Its the "upper download Limit" for my poor Modem but for your game I do it with pleasure! :)
Have dreamed last night from Wind And Water :lol: I played the Game with you, the Devs somehow on TV...and we used a Light Gun to eliminate the Puzzle-Stones (?!?)
Seems, that I'm an Puzzle-junkie now...:ph34r:

Oh, "Fire Water Burn?" Youtube is your Friend:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aJZG2roPTrk ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have played "Puzzle Fighter" endless on the Dreamcast. Great game with interesting Game-Modes.
10MB for the Demo is OK. Its the "upper download Limit" for my poor Modem but for your game I do it with pleasure! :)
Have dreamed last night from Wind And Water :lol: I played the Game with you, the Devs somehow on TV...and we used a Light Gun to eliminate the Puzzle-Stones (?!?)
Seems, that I'm an Puzzle-junkie now...:ph34r:

Oh, "Fire Water Burn?" Youtube is your Friend:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aJZG2roPTrk ;)

Lol, I think I'm getting old, forgot about Youtube yesterday completely!! :D Listening to the video, didn't know that was the name of the song! Pretty popular. I'm glad there are no blocks in that song!

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the game :) Did you try the Puzzle Mode?

Oh, and that's some crazy dream!! Hope you weren't the guy who fell from the roof yesterday that my dad shot. And yea, we forgot:

DISCLAIMER
We are not to be held responsible if anyone gets eye, hand or permanent brain damage. And we are serious!

Anyone had any problems or suggestions for the game?

Hi there! My name is Yuan-Hsi Chiang and I'm in charge of most of the art, sound, and design in Yuan Works.

DaveC and everyone else with this question, I'll try to explain as best as I can.

More space equals more blocks. The game has Combos and Chains, and some moves, like the full Combo, would be very difficult with more blocks. The rules for the game are the same for single player and puzzle battles; that is: ten columns and eight rows. And the things that slide throught the screen are semi-transparent already.

Well you really wouldn't need more blocks, just LARGER blocks. In two player mode you would use the smaller ones. So basically you would have two block sets, one large single player, one smaller for two player.

they drew the blocks pixel by pixel. making them larger would require twice the amount of work, or more. basically they'd have to redo the game.

which would be ludicrous, since it looks great the way it is.

Hi there! My name is Yuan-Hsi Chiang and I'm in charge of most of the art, sound, and design in Yuan Works.

DaveC and everyone else with this question, I'll try to explain as best as I can.

More space equals more blocks. The game has Combos and Chains, and some moves, like the full Combo, would be very difficult with more blocks. The rules for the game are the same for single player and puzzle battles; that is: ten columns and eight rows. And the things that slide throught the screen are semi-transparent already.

Well you really wouldn't need more blocks, just LARGER blocks. In two player mode you would use the smaller ones. So basically you would have two block sets, one large single player, one smaller for two player.
It's fine the way it is.

Hello. How are you all doing?

DaveC and anyone else with questions about the look and design, I'll try to answer them here.

I really didn't want to get into all this technicallity, but I hope it explains the layout better.

First of all, a little on me. I'm a dot artist in this part of the world who is reasonably well versed in the "tile", "pixel art", "sprite", and "dot art" techniques.

Since this now kind of rare (out of Asia) video game art is the expertise of Yuan Works, we wanted to treat the GP2X users with something that would be hard to have on this system. We know that GP2X users love tile and sprite based work because of all the programs that run games for such systems, like the NeoGeo MVS/AVS, Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, and others.

Some of the rules that apply to such game design is that ALL THE GRAPHICS are multiples of eight or sixteen pixles, edited at PIXEL LEVEL, and so forth. I am not going to explain the reasons for this in this post because it's not pertaining.

Like many of the games of the NeoGeo system, we do not use "calculated" effects on our animations (except for semi-transparencies) , and everything including the zooming, fading out, and other effects are done by hand pixel by pixel. When you download the game, take a look at the "Ready", "Time Over", "Game Over", and other text animations to see what I mean :)

Now, to make the blocks bigger we would need them to be four tiles big, and that would just be too big to fit on the GP2X screen. It is not possible to enlarge them, say 15% more because of the tile layout we use in the game. Here's a screenshot to illustrate.

proportions320_240.jpg

This is like the "golden ratio" of 2-D video games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

If you analyze closely, you'll notice that all professional games from companies like Nintendo, SquareEnix, or SNK Playmore obey these rules in their design; and we at Yuan Works give you that design quality, too.

Hope this helps answer the questions a little more. Thank you very much and have fun playing the game!

Yuan

@ Yuan

Very interesting post about the "golden ratio". Didn't know that.
Nice game btw. I don't like puzzle games that much, but Wind And Water is really fun to play. Beautyful grafic style and catchy music.

Regards,
Stephan

@ Yuan

Very interesting post about the "golden ratio". Didn't know that.
Nice game btw. I don't like puzzle games that much, but Wind And Water is really fun to play. Beautyful grafic style and catchy music.

Regards,
Stephan

The golden ratio is a meaning of "perfection", we are not exactly using it in our game :D

BTW sbock, thank you for posting the news in gp2x.de, I don't understand german but babelfish helped me a bit :), I hope you're enjoying it. If you or your friends from the forum have any suggestions or problems you can post here or contact me. Thanks again for the good feedback!

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the game :) Did you try the Puzzle Mode?

I puzzled through until I gave up at C1 or C2, had unlocked the most secrets from the Making off. But I'm lazy: is there a way to SKIP solved puzzles? ^^

And how do I a "4x Elemental" (required for one unlock) ??? Have not much experience with the special stones. I always got one Stone to "explode" even if 2 of the special Stones are in the field.

More questions:
What is more effective: building many small different Diamond-Chains fast or take time to build one big Chain?

The Scores from the practise mode are also in the Timed-Mode. Not easy to beat my 30min Practise-High-Score in 2 min's ;)
And the score in the endless mode seems to be not saved (I think) Always starts with 0

Sonetimes the Game "hangs" for some miliseconds. Loading-delays?

Will there be an option to turn the Music of? (Good Music but soemtimes I have to concentrate while puzzeling :lol: )
And the Sound in Puzzle mode, when I fail going on my nerves a little bit. ^^ Because I really often heared this sound in the higher Levels! :lol :lol: maybe a little bit more quite sound for non-talent puzzlers like me would be a good idea :lol:

Wow Great Games !!!, If it get a Download version, you will probably have a buy from me !

:D

I puzzled through until I gave up at C1 or C2, had unlocked the most secrets from the Making off. But I'm lazy: is there a way to SKIP solved puzzles? ^^
Ok sorry for the late reply, but here it goes:

There's no way to skip puzzles in the demo :( sorry, but there will be in the final version.

And how do I a "4x Elemental" (required for one unlock) ??? Have not much experience with the special stones. I always got one Stone to "explode" even if 2 of the special Stones are in the field.
A 4x elemental, hmm no need for the special Blocks, there's one puzzle (I think A8) where you have to clear an 4x elemental, study the shape and try it out :) Also there's one demoplay (not sure if the first or the second one) where I do a 4x elemental too!

More questions:
What is more effective: building many small different Diamond-Chains fast or take time to build one big Chain?
At first, I always tried planning chains, but it's kind of hard to plan a 5+ chain. I usually plan a 2x chain and then try to quickly find some other blocks to keep making chains! It's hard but with practice you'll get it ;)

Yes the scores are a little messed up :( somebody reported it too, fixed but it's too early for a bugfix release. And when it hangs it's most likely the music.

Will there be an option to turn the Music of? (Good Music but soemtimes I have to concentrate while puzzeling :lol: )
And the Sound in Puzzle mode, when I fail going on my nerves a little bit. ^^ Because I really often heared this sound in the higher Levels! :lol :lol: maybe a little bit more quite sound for non-talent puzzlers like me would be a good idea :lol:
Yea there'll be a way to turn music off :) and we also the "failed" sound is for mission-mode (or story mode), we actually planned a big "less harsh" sound for the puzzle mode since after a while that sound can drive you nuts :D!

Wow Great Games !!!, If it get a Download version, you will probably have a buy from me !

:D
It will be a download version :)

Thanks!

-- YuanHao

Thanx for the awnsers. :)

At first, I always tried planning chains, but it's kind of hard to plan a 5+ chain. I usually plan a 2x chain and then try to quickly find some other blocks to keep making chains! It's hard but with practice you'll get it ;)
-- YuanHao
My chains are random events the most Time :lol: I think I have not enough "overview" to plan real chain-reactions on the Playfield. ^^"" The most Time I build big Blocks of one color. I even have trouble to do this X-"elementals" (Now I know what this is I think :) ). Maybe I'm not quick enough to rotate elements while a reaction is running. Somtimes the Cursor don't move too or I just do it completly wrong. :(
But it's fun to practice. :)
I never will be an good Puzzle mode-player (C2 is over my skills ) and I fear the mean "press" in endless mode (up and down but more up than down :lol: )but the other modes are great!
Really nice game.
And if you guys want to make a strategy-game like "Advance Wars" for GP2X, let me know. :)
I also would have no problems with a good Poker-Game in Manga style ^^

My chains are random events the most Time :lol: I think I have not enough "overview" to plan real chain-reactions on the Playfield. ^^"" The most Time I build big Blocks of one color. I even have trouble to do this X-"elementals" (Now I know what this is I think :) ). Maybe I'm not quick enough to rotate elements while a reaction is running. Somtimes the Cursor don't move too or I just do it completly wrong. :(
But it's fun to practice. :)
Though it's a little hard on the GP2X stick, as I told you the only way to do fancy chains is with time :D, and elementals are hard even for me sometimes!
And if you guys want to make a strategy-game like "Advance Wars" for GP2X, let me know. :)
I also would have no problems with a good Poker-Game in Manga style ^^
Lol, ok :lol:!

Back