[Wince] Navigon Boot Sd-Card

menno

Still Fresh
Hey folks,

Congrats with the first completed machines.

I run Navigon GPS software on Windows CE. ITs very nice stuff. Now since Windows CE
runs on Beagleboards, my ideal situation would be to put all maps and the windows CE os
and the Navigon software on a 4gb SDHC card.

If i insert it into slot1 (or two) it should auto boot from it, and auto run the navigation software. (other than navigation I am not interested in WinCE at all)

Would this be possible?

menno said:
Now since Windows CE
runs on Beagleboards, my ideal situation would be to put all maps and the windows CE os
and the Navigon software on a 4gb SDHC card. Would this be possible?
This just makes me WinCE.

Last edited by a moderator:
i prefer android, because all the games released for it. but then its the question of those games will run on pandora?
And i believe there's already navigation for pandora. but you need a bluetooth GPS receiver.

Although there is OMAP3 support for WinCE, it will be missing drivers for some pandora specific bits: display, sound (different than on beagle), analog nubs, ...

not to mention usability. Not trying to bash it for no reason. I have a WinCE phone and I do not understand why anyone in their right mind would put any effort towards running it on anything. WinCE is like Shaq-fu. It needs to be destroyed at all costs.

http://www.jamesbeckingham.com.au/Diablo.aspx
Might be worth it to get this guy into our community. There is a pretty large WinCE scene out there. At the time I was interested in PocketPCs(before they were replaced by smartphones) I found many worthwile games (Legacy/The Quest/Quake 1-3, etc.).
http://www.pocketplayers.info/Joomla/

WinCE does have a fair amount of commercial ARM games, like a Call of Duty port, and some very complete navigation software. And plus, it would just be nice to try

notaz said:
Although there is OMAP3 support for WinCE, it will be missing drivers for some pandora specific bits: display, sound (different than on beagle), analog nubs, ...
This is the important thing. The Beagleboard and the Pandora share some hardware, but certainly not all. There is no small amount of work required to get WinCE or WiMo running on the Pandora, and OP cannot legally support or assist in that sort of work. While it is likely that somebody will get it working eventually, there is no guarantee how well it will work, or how long it will take.

In the meantime, if you want good GPS software, I suggest you look forward to an Android 2.x port. Google's turn-by-turn directions are at least as good (probably better) than anything currently available for WinCE or WiMo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google's navigation would not work well for the pandora, because you would need a data connection to download and cache maps along your route. If you download them at home before you leave, and then go off your route during your trip, you need data again to look up a new route. There are a couple of other android apps that do navigation, the one that I use is called CoPilot (also available on WiMo), which downloads all maps in a region to the sd card. My region is north america, so I can drive anywhere in north america and have maps for it. If I wanted to travel outside north america, I could simply buy another region.

The other issue here is that in order to legally install most apps on android (google's maps included), you need access to the market, which you can only get through buying a google android device. So, I would be a little concerned about any android project for the pandora that provides market access, because android rom makers over at xda-developers have gotten in trouble over this.

Back