Win2X : Alternative Frontend

chrisvcpp

Hi,
I have been working on an alternative frontend for my WIZ(like GMenu2X), called Win2X.
Currently it lacks any multimedia functions.
I have included the option to replace the original menu permanently(and run it through Win2X if needed).
Is anyone interested in testing it and give me some feedback??

chp said:
Hi,
I have been working on an alternative frontend for my WIZ(like GMenu2X), called Win2X.
Currently it lacks any multimedia functions.
I have included the option to replace the original menu permanently(and run it through Win2X if needed).
Is anyone interested in testing it and give me some feedback??
I am very interested. I would really welcome it if you could send me your programme. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
chp said:
How did you manage that? and would it be possible to apply your solution to Gmenu2x? I'm pretty sure the devs of that menu would like to utilize a similar option.

I'd love to give your menu a test run too as long as I don't have to permanently install anything to test it.

MiOdd said:
chp said:
How did you manage that? and would it be possible to apply your solution to Gmenu2x? I'm pretty sure the devs of that menu would like to utilize a similar option.

I'd love to give your menu a test run too as long as I don't have to permanently install anything to test it.

No you don't have to install anything permanetly if you don't want to.Just run Win2X.gpe...
See the included ReadMe...
and yes you could apply this to Gmenu2X(I have done it) BUT you will have problems with the framebuffer anytime you exit a game because GMenu2X does not handle the framebuffer correctly...

Cool. Thanks. I'll give it a go tonight. This is exciting, because as I'm sure you are aware, the standard menu sucks... ha. :p

Doesn't work for me. The start button doesn't work, no matter where I press on the touch screen. You should enable the buttons so we don't have to use GPH's shit for brains touch screen. ;)

EDIT: I thought that installing may fix the issue, but it did not. Now I don't know how to restore the original firmware without a separate sd adapter. Fuck.

chickendung said:
Doesn't work for me. The start button doesn't work, no matter where I press on the touch screen. You should enable the buttons so we don't have to use GPH's shit for brains touch screen. ;)
Yes I agree..the touchscreen is a bit faulty for the WIZ, but is very convinient too(if it works)...You could try to recalibrate your touchscreen
through the original frontend and try again...
No installing has nothing to do with the touchscreen...I suspect that you simply haven't calibrated your
touchscreen before...
Unfortunately you have to reflash your firmware...I think that I will add a function to run the original menu
by pressing MENU button...

MiOdd said:
Cool. Thanks. I'll give it a go tonight. This is exciting, because as I'm sure you are aware, the standard menu sucks... ha. :p
Unfortunately it does...But GMenu2X has some compatibility problems too and has no support..so I decided to make a new frontend of my own...

Is there any info anywhere on how this works what it looks like? There are no screens of this to look at. I wouldn't want to just install this without knowing more especially if it can require you to re-flash the firmware and possibly brick the Wiz.

This also requires the use of the touchscreen? If so that would be a bad design choice. Not only is the TS dodgy but having to pull out the stylus and poke around on the screen is not always convienient. It should also allow the use of the pad to select.

Sitizen said:
Same here, it does nothing. My screen is calibrated well.
What firmware do you use?I have FW 1.1 and it works fine...I will look to it..Thanks anyway..

chp said:
MiOdd said:
Unfortunately it does...But GMenu2X has some compatibility problems too and has no support..so I decided to make a new frontend of my own...

first off im all for you creating your own system if that what you want to do.
But your reason to do so I think is lame. GMenu2x is opensource, it only has support if developers like you and myself contribute to it.
You reason suggests that Gmenu2x would have fit yours if it didnt have these "compatibility problems", but you make no effort to improve yourself? Dont slam Gmenu2x for not supporting every need you have if you cant make an effort to support Gmenu2x.

Pickle said:
chp said:
MiOdd said:

first off im all for you creating your own system if that what you want to do.
But your reason to do so I think is lame. GMenu2x is opensource, it only has support if developers like you and myself contribute to it.
You reason suggests that Gmenu2x would have fit yours if it didnt have these "compatibility problems", but you make no effort to improve yourself? Dont slam Gmenu2x for not supporting every need you have if you cant make an effort to support Gmenu2x.
I agree with you but consider this: Wiz's version of GMenu2X-except its bugs-is also "heavy" compared to the potentials it gives you and
also is very difficult to maintain such a huge source code(about 20 files of source) just to fix some problems.
You are talking about improving an existing software.To improve your self means to create something...
Finally,I do not slam GMenu2X.I have been using it myself (until a week ago-when I started writing Win2X).
And I Do have tried to support it by writing a program that it makes GMenu2X the default operating system.That's when I first noticed the software problems and made a solution to fix them...If you do love GMenu2X I can send you instructions(and my little program)...

I like Gmenu2X as you can get to your apps fast in the icon grid and you can do it without fumbling with a stylus.

I can't compare it to your app though as i haven't seen it and it is too risky to just try.

Hopefully some improvements can be made to Gmenu 2x as well. The big things I don't like about Gmenu right now are for one it seems to take forever to load (like 5 times longer than on the GP2X) and it doesn't auto load on app exit. Thos things have kept Gmenu off of my card as of now.

chp said:
chickendung said:
Yes I agree..the touchscreen is a bit faulty for the WIZ, but is very convinient too(if it works)...You could try to recalibrate your touchscreen
through the original frontend and try again...
No installing has nothing to do with the touchscreen...I suspect that you simply haven't calibrated your
touchscreen before...
Unfortunately you have to reflash your firmware...I think that I will add a function to run the original menu
by pressing MENU button...
It is calibrated. I'll stick with the original frontend for now, until Gmenu2X is improved.

Okay, I just tried Win2X and my touchscreen will not recognize anything either (and yes, I calibrated it right before starting the menu) however, even if the touchscreen did work I would still recommend an alternative control method because its just makes the menu more accessible.

So because the touchscreen didn't work I could only see the first desktop screen but if this works like I suspect I think I'm going to like it. My guess is the start button will give you access to different configuration options like creating icons? This menu should be able to be accessed by pressing "Menu" and you should be able to scroll through the settings using the d-pad and press "Select" to choose something. I'm also assuming we are only given this one desktop space to store icons to misc. apps? Which is fine but you should be able to scroll through these apps right away using the d-pad. A folder hierarchy would be nice too so I can separate games by category, but for my purposes it wouldn't really be necessary, though it would be appreciated.

If my understanding is correct, I would really like this menu, I love the simplicity (again, assuming it works like I suspect)

Hope you continue to improve on it.

MiOdd said:
Okay, I just tried Win2X and my touchscreen will not recognize anything either (and yes, I calibrated it right before starting the menu) however, even if the touchscreen did work I would still recommend an alternative control method because its just makes the menu more accessible.

So because the touchscreen didn't work I could only see the first desktop screen but if this works like I suspect I think I'm going to like it. My guess is the start button will give you access to different configuration options like creating icons? This menu should be able to be accessed by pressing "Menu" and you should be able to scroll through the settings using the d-pad and press "Select" to choose something. I'm also assuming we are only given this one desktop space to store icons to misc. apps? Which is fine but you should be able to scroll through these apps right away using the d-pad. A folder hierarchy would be nice too so I can separate games by category, but for my purposes it wouldn't really be necessary, though it would be appreciated.

If my understanding is correct, I would really like this menu, I love the simplicity (again, assuming it works like I suspect)

Hope you continue to improve on it.
You guessed very right!I gave it a windows-like style with game categories preconfigured.Please understand that is the very first version
and I apologise for the bug with the touchscreen although it works fine for me.Anyway I have tried to solve this issue,here is the link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZBTM07M3
Could you try it and give me some feedback?(For safety reasons, I made the MENU button run the original menu - in case you run "install.gpe")
Thank you for your time and I really apreciate your suggestions.I will make use of the D-PAD aswell...

Awesome, and yes, I totally understand its essentially a pre-release version, which is why forum feedback is so important. I'll give the new version a look tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes.

Back