Win2X : Alternative Frontend

I made a skin for Win2X, I just have a question. When I changed the Graphic for startup.png it doesn't seem to change it stays with the blue one. Even though the image is my own. Any ideas how to change the startup.png graphic??

Also installing seems kind of tricky, had to back up Win2x then install it again as "blue" otherwise it wouldn't show up with a custom name. Had to kind of trick it I guess. XD Would it be possible to have a skin up loader? something that puts the files in the right place and makes them selectable in the skins section?

I may not know a lot about this, but I know some already by just playing with the files and the WiZ.

I don't see a startup.png file...

JayWhite said:
I'm lovin' this front end to no end!
I have yet to install it yet though, as a new WiZ user I'm just testing it.
I'm wondering why I haven't been able to find the GPHapps menu.
Could this be because I'm in test mode, and it doesn't run fully in test mode?
Awesome work CHP!
That is right.You have to install Win2X first,for the GPH apps become available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jest said:
I made a skin for Win2X, I just have a question. When I changed the Graphic for startup.png it doesn't seem to change it stays with the blue one. Even though the image is my own. Any ideas how to change the startup.png graphic??
Also installing seems kind of tricky, had to back up Win2x then install it again as "blue" otherwise it wouldn't show up with a custom name. Had to kind of trick it I guess. XD Would it be possible to have a skin up loader? something that puts the files in the right place and makes them selectable in the skins section?
The startup.png(the one that welcomes you at startup-if it's that what you mean)is skin independent which means that if you change it,it will be showing regardless the skin.
On the other hand,if you mean the wallpaper,then Win2X chooses automatically one of the 2 wallpaper files when
you select a skin(either Blue of Gold) and you have to select your own wallpaper manually(see the documentation).
Finally,right now there is no option to rename the default skins(Blue,Gold).You can just modify their existing files.
I would not recommend messing with these files,unless you know what you are doing and make testing first!
You can send me you skin and include it to the upcoming update release if you like.I will add custom skin support
some time in the future.

did you planned full skin support with user define buttons area, move bars and other?And another question, how can i change move bar color in explorer?

did you planned full skin support with user define buttons area, move bars and other?And another question, how can i change move bar color in explorer?

rorque said:
No.Such customization as user defined responce areas is not planned.The scroll bar color is fixed and cannot be changed
for the moment.

Nice to see we're having an update, thanks for coming back chp. :)

A couple of thing which could be fixed/included:

1. The links in the Applications/Emulators etc. windows are alphabetically arranged by the name of the .gpe not the 'Link text' name. (Could this be changed? and maybe the desktop arranged alphabetically?)
2. In the above windows sometimes the link names (on the icons if 9 letters long) overlaps the edges of the window.
3. Also in the above windows could the link name box in the bottom of the window be made smaller (as we're limited to 9 letters), so the description box could be made wider (so the letter limit could be increased to fill this box)
4. Sometimes in the explorer window the page number (eg. 17/17) overlaps the arrow icon, and could the blue marker (in the scroll bar) and the page numbers be added to the Applications/Emulators etc. windows?
5. Occasionally the clock (if set to 12 Hr) hangs off the right side of the screen.
6. On the Select icon../Delete link etc. menu the blue box you move up and down needs to be a touch wider. (As it overlaps on 'Link Description')
7. I also brought this up on an earlier post: If an icon is selected on the desktop and you press the X button could the description pop up on a bar above the bottom bar? (As some things are hard to guess what they are, with the 9 letter name limit)

Many thanks, Neil :)

Neil L said:
Nice to see we're having an update, thanks for coming back chp. :)

A couple of thing which could be fixed/included:

1. The links in the Applications/Emulators etc. windows are alphabetically arranged by the name of the .gpe not the 'Link text' name. (Could this be changed? and maybe the desktop arranged alphabetically?)
2. In the above windows sometimes the link names (on the icons if 9 letters long) overlaps the edges of the window.
3. Also in the above windows could the link name box in the bottom of the window be made smaller (as we're limited to 9 letters), so the description box could be made wider (so the letter limit could be increased to fill this box)
4. Sometimes in the explorer window the page number (eg. 17/17) overlaps the arrow icon, and could the blue marker (in the scroll bar) and the page numbers be added to the Applications/Emulators etc. windows?
5. Occasionally the clock (if set to 12 Hr) hangs off the right side of the screen.
6. On the Select icon../Delete link etc. menu the blue box you move up and down needs to be a touch wider. (As it overlaps on 'Link Description')
7. I also brought this up on an earlier post: If an icon is selected on the desktop and you press the X button could the description pop up on a bar above the bottom bar? (As some things are hard to guess what they are, with the 9 letter name limit)

Many thanks, Neil :)
Thanks Neil for your constant feedback!
All of your statements are neat.I will get on them as long as I get home and include them to the next release.

could it be done so u can arange the icons as u wish + alphabetically ?

and is save to the next time u start the UI or reboot...

DarkShadowSwE said:
could it be done so u can arange the icons as u wish + alphabetically ?

and is save to the next time u start the UI or reboot...
Well...I'm just thinking that, because there are various ways to arrange an icon array, there is a need for a 'sort by..'
menu.So I'll just implement a menu like this with various options like 'date','name',type' etc..
And yes,any option taken,will be saved.

chp said:
All of your statements are neat.I will get on them as long as I get home and include them to the next release.

Thanks chp,
One other little thing I've noticed if you've got more than one page in the games window (as an example) and you go down to the 2nd or 3rd page, then press the select key to edit a link it jumps back to the 1st page. (Could this be changed so it stays on the same page as the edit?)
Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
chp said:

Thanks chp,
One other little thing I've noticed if you've got more than one page in the games window (as an example) and you go down to the 2nd or 3rd page, then press the select key to edit a link it jumps back to the 1st page. (Could this be changed so it stays on the same page as the edit?)
Cheers, Neil
Hmmm...My mistake.Thanks Neil.I will fix it.

chp said:
JayWhite said:
I'm lovin' this front end to no end!
I have yet to install it yet though, as a new WiZ user I'm just testing it.
I'm wondering why I haven't been able to find the GPHapps menu.
Could this be because I'm in test mode, and it doesn't run fully in test mode?
Awesome work CHP!
That is right.You have to install Win2X first,for the GPH apps become available.

One other thing I'm wondering is, how do you put icon shortcuts on the desktop? I have yet to figure this out..

Is there a folder within the contents that the ini's and icons go in to?

chp said:
Jest said:
The startup.png(the one that welcomes you at startup-if it's that what you mean)is skin independent which means that if you change it,it will be showing regardless the skin.
On the other hand,if you mean the wallpaper,then Win2X chooses automatically one of the 2 wallpaper files when
you select a skin(either Blue of Gold) and you have to select your own wallpaper manually(see the documentation).
Finally,right now there is no option to rename the default skins(Blue,Gold).You can just modify their existing files.
I would not recommend messing with these files,unless you know what you are doing and make testing first!
You can send me you skin and include it to the upcoming update release if you like.I will add custom skin support
some time in the future.

CHP, not sure if this is what you're mentioning, but I've been able to edit all of those pictures and they change.

I.E. logon.png, welcome.png, and even the shutdown.png.

SONY said:
JayWhite said:
One other thing I'm wondering is, how do you put icon shortcuts on the desktop? I have yet to figure this out.

When on an icon, you press the SELECT button, then choose, "Set to desktop".

I thought this was for me. I have yet to try it. But which icon do you mean exactly? The icon for the emulator that I use for example?
or do I have to use an icon.png, add it to desktop, then edit it to point to the gpe like an INI file?

CHP! or anybody! When I'm on the logon screen and I press directional over, the screen dies and stays black. Could it be because I'm the only user on my WiZ? Could we have an option for single user logon use, or either multi?

EDIT: It's not really that big of a deal. I just wanted the arrows gone for selecting users; which I think I can edit. Plus the bug, whatever it may be. I can certainly avoid it probably easier that it could be fixed.

SONY said:
The icon for the emulator that you use.

K thanks Sony. I will be sure to give it a go once I get all my files in my folders. I'm still messing around with the graphics of the skin/interface. It's pretty fun actually.

Back