Will you use the Pyra as a phone?

Will you use your Pyra instead of your phone?

• No, never

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 58 43.0%
  • Yes, always

Votes: 39 28.9%

• Total voters

Kiga

Very Active Member
Interesting questions after the other thread controversy, let's take a look of what people think they will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the "What the reasons why you will keep using the smartphone" I would like an option :

"my pyra is for hacking, my phone is a 'production' system needed to be avail even while i'm hacking"

Added, I assume that it is relevant for many people since you know the community better than me. I also added the God Ginrai's dialing issue but I inadvertly switched two options for 30s, so if you can check if your votes are in the right place.

I plan to use the Pyra in place of my smartphone. I rarely make calls, but when I do, I'm happy to use a set of headphones. The size is the only issue for me. I'm in support of any size reductions possible. For me, I would like a camera but would not support it if case size needed to increase.

If you don't use a smartphone and just a regular phone do you vote yes?.. I have a smartphone, just thinking through the options of this poll..

I'd prefer to use a Pyra over my smarthphone to make phone calls if at all possible.

I've used the voice over wi-fi apps on my android for quite awhile now, such as Dell Voice (might be Fongo now...).

I wonder if we would be able to get a data plan that includes the Pyra as well, that would be pretty epic to be able to usy my Pyra with internet wherever I was, that would be a huge selling point for me.... but I'm planning on buying one anyways so that is a moot point.

I'm also curious if people could (or already can) use bluetooth devices with the Pyra/Pandora?

I currently take both my Pandora and my smarthphone everywhere with me (and my thermos of tea) and I would prefer to only have to take my Pandora with me, as I find that 'smart' phones are anything but smart in my opinion.

Okay, that is my two cents.

-Xaeo

If you don't use a smartphone and just a regular phone do you vote yes?.. I have a smartphone, just thinking through the options of this poll..
I thought about it but the interesting fact with the smartphone is that it have pretty much the same functions as the Pyra and I don't want to mix everything.

Well with the currently chosen 3G module which only has GSM support it pretty much eliminates support on almost all the North American cell providers.. so I personally don't see it viable as a cell phone replacement.  Not to mention there may not be working telephony software from the start. Note there may be support later for different XG cell modules..

I'm also curious if people could (or already can) use bluetooth devices with the Pyra/Pandora?
Some devices work well on the Pandora, most audio devices needs config file tweaking to work properly.. this may be a bit better on the Pyra with a newer debian OS..

Some devices work well on the Pandora, most audio devices needs config file tweaking to work properly.. this may be a bit better on the Pyra with a newer debian OS..
I'm sharing my phone network connection to my pandora using BT

I think hardware should be an option for a reason too. As in, might have to use a headset.

Well with the currently chosen 3G module which only has GSM support it pretty much eliminates support on almost all the North American cell providers.. so I personally don't see it viable as a cell phone replacement.  Not to mention there may not be working telephony software from the start.
So, this thread is specifically for GSM users, so this shouldn't be used as a con for replacing a phone. Besides, isn't "almost all" a bit over exaggerated?  That second point is surely temporary and thread would be best to answer as if the software is already there. 

I think hardware should be an option for a reason too. As in, might have to use a headset.

Well with the currently chosen 3G module which only has GSM support it pretty much eliminates support on almost all the North American cell providers.. so I personally don't see it viable as a cell phone replacement.  Not to mention there may not be working telephony software from the start.
So, this thread is specifically for GSM users, so this shouldn't be used as a con for replacing a phone. Besides, isn't "almost all" a bit over exaggerated?  That second point is surely temporary and thread would be best to answer as if the software is already there. 
Is this thread specifically for GSM users?  and the issue with software won't go away unless it's worked on.

Yea, there are a lot of people on this forum who use feature phones. I feel like the questions should not refer to using instead of a smartphone, but instead refer to using instead of a phone. Because the point is whether people will use their Pyra as a phone, which includes "instead of a feature phone".

-God Ginrai

Is this thread specifically for GSM users?  and the issue with software won't go away unless it's worked on.
Well, since it only supports GSM then it kind of has to be. I guess the others could answer to "If you could use it as a phone, would you?". This is on the assumption that it well be, otherwise this poll is moot.
Yea, there are a lot of people on this forum who use feature phones. I feel like the questions should not refer to using instead of a smartphone, but instead refer to using instead of a phone. Because the point is whether people will use their Pyra as a phone, which includes "instead of a feature phone".

-God Ginrai
I agree. It should just be phone in general.
Also, doesn't "No camera in the Pyra" make the last question redundant? Meaning there is an issue

rather "major" or not.

I thought about it but the interesting fact with the smartphone is that it have pretty much the same functions as the Pyra and I don't want to mix everything.
That you are only looking at smartphones shows that you are entirely missing the point.

I can't see myself ever using the Pyra as a phone. It's not designed as one, and I expect I would get pretty frustrated with it pretty quickly if I tried to use it as one. It's not only about the dialing experience either. There's also the experience of receiving and answering calls, and how those functions will interact with other software on the device to take into consideration.

While I would certainly carry both a phone and the Pyra, it won't necessarily be a smartphone, because with the Pyra handling most of the 'smart' functions I wouldn't need a smartphone, I'd just need a feature phone which can talk to it in some way. (preferably one with a physical keypad, - touchscreen keypads are overrated) This point cuts to the heart of your argument - If I'm using two separate devices anyway, does it really matter if the phone is a smartphone? I think not.

- Neelix

I answered under the assumption that I would one day be able to use the Pyra as a phone. The PHS8 doesn't support my carrier and I have no intention of switching carriers so my using it as a phone is only a hypothetical situation.

I don't actually do a lot of talking on the phone either, my use case is primarily in data and text, and voice only if needed. To that end, judging from the way it looks now, I should have no problem using the Pyra as my one and only mobile device.

While I would certainly carry both a phone and the Pyra, it won't necessarily be a smartphone, because with the Pyra handling most of the 'smart' functions I wouldn't need a smartphone, I'd just need a feature phone which can talk to it in some way. (preferably one with a physical keypad, - touchscreen keypads are overrated) This point cuts to the heart of your argument - If I'm using two separate devices anyway, does it really matter if the phone is a smartphone? I think not.
Your situation is perfectly understandable (and I may will be in the same case). That's why I didn't include it in the poll because I wanted to isolate the situation where someone would have multimedia in both and will want to carry both, that situation is less understandable. And that poll also respond to: will people want to replace their smartphone with the Pyra and why? It couldn't work with features phones since it would be all mixed and feature phone can't be interchanged with Pyra. Also someone who would carry smartphone+Pyra would also carry feature phone+ Pyra.

Maybe I should add questions with features phones to permitt that everybody votes but wouldn't gain much in % variation.

Pyra as a phone can replace a feature phone. IDK I find it weird to make such a distinction between a smartphone and a phone.

Yes, but the feature phone can't replace the Pyra while the smartphone can pretty much do it.

Pyra as a phone can replace a feature phone. IDK I find it weird to make such a distinction between a smartphone and a phone.
Well one is practically only good for making calls. the other many people consider the phone part an afterthought.

As it stands the Pyra will make one clunky phone.

Back