Will You Buy It Now?

Shiny said:
Clad said:
Plus, it's not really Craigx fault if the US $ is so low. If you want the Pandora cheaper, email the president of your country and ask him if he could improve economy if he has a bit of spare time.

You should be grateful already it's sold cheaper to the US than to the rest of the world. If you bought it from the UK it'd cost you $400.
Can we please keep the whole "my currency is better than yours" argument out of this?
This is a forum for talk about the pandora, not inflation and exchange rates :/

Yeah, it costs the same in relation to everything else, so the big number doesn't really mean anything. So yeah, let's not get silly with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a matter of which currency is better, even if I admit I was a bit unnecessarily sarcastic, but even if it's unfair, people from the US must understand the relatively high price (it's still pretty cheap when you see what's inside) isn't something gbax should be held responsible for. Anything from EU is more expensive that it should and you can't do much about that.

There is no way I will pay that much for a handheld. Instead of finding ways to drive sales of their current machine they want to abandon it early for a new one. Doesn't sit well with me, and I haven't even started on the design yet.

I am not buying it.

emulazione88 said:
There is no way I will pay that much for a handheld. Instead of finding ways to drive sales of their current machine they want to abandon it early for a new one. Doesn't sit well with me, and I haven't even started on the design yet.

I am not buying it.
CraigIX didn't make the old machine, he was just a distributor. Different company. He's doing what GPH could have done, but didn't.

Yrx said:
CraigIX didn't make the old machine, he was just a distributor. Different company. He's doing what GPH could have done, but didn't.
So this isn't even being made by GPH?

emulazione88 said:
Yrx said:
So this isn't even being made by GPH?

No, thankfully.

I'm kind of confused by the suggestion that some people wouldn't buy it because they don't like the "design"... Was the GP2X such a brilliant piece of gaming engineering? The Pandora's clamshell approach threw me for a bit of a loop, but only because it was unexpected - in the end I don't give a rat's arse what it looks like... afaic, the only important considerations are: is it comfortable to hold? and what emulators are available for it? Everything else is secondary at best - what color the plastic is or whether the unit folds for storage are next to bloody irrelevant to me...

I'm assuming it's just some kind of threat. When it appears on Craig's website, they'll probably be one of the first people to pre-order it :D

Along with me.

To be honest, I bought the GP2X having in mind "well, it has some severe flaws, but at the end of the day it's the kind of handled device that suits me the more compared to NDS or PSP", the autonomy is poor, the screen isn't the best suited for gaming, the joystick was notoriously crappy, the snes and amiga emu aren't perfect (though the snes emulation really did improve from when I ordered it, somewhere near november 2005), the architecture did not please most devs and so and so...

The Pandora on the other hand does not suffer any even mildly annoying flaws for what we know now. May that be on the hardware specs, the ergonomy (the D-pad seems nice) and the autonomy seems to be quite acceptable. Sure, it's a bit expensive for a "super GP2X", but it also has tons of other features that makes it worth the price (high def screen, keyboard, wifi, laptop computer functionalities...). So, since it has the support of the big names of the GP2X community, meaning we'll eventually get everything we need, and more, it's kind of a no-brainer. Given I got the money, I just fail to see any reason not to get one.

I don't know for you guys, but I feel like it's been designed especially for me by someone that know me very well.

I'm definitely buying one. It has the potential for great PDA functions and kick ass games functionality, with a 32GB SDHC it'll be like a mini lappy

This One would love to buy one. It's practically perfect.

Clad said:
I don't know for you guys, but I feel like it's been designed especially for me by someone that know me very well.
This One feels exactly the same way! Yay!

Squidge said:
No, thankfully.
Thankfully? Why, what's the problem with GPH? And how stable an investment would one of these "Pandoras" be? I'd have to be convinced that everything is in place - worldwide customer support, system reliability and so on. Anyway as it is the cons outweigh the pros for mine.

emulazione88 said:
And how stable an investment would one of these "Pandoras" be?
It's a handheld gaming device, not an investment.

emulazione88 said:
And how stable an investment would one of these "Pandoras" be? I'd have to be convinced that everything is in place - worldwide customer support, system reliability and so on.
Well, higher then from GPH, that's for sure. If it was not for craigIX and some other few distributors there would be none for the gp2x.

emulazione88 said:
Thankfully? Why, what's the problem with GPH? And how stable an investment would one of these "Pandoras" be? I'd have to be convinced that everything is in place - worldwide customer support, system reliability and so on. Anyway as it is the cons outweigh the pros for mine.
GPH made a fantastic device with the GP2X :gp2x (and from what I hear, when they were GP, they made a fantastic device - GP32 gp32_console , although I have never owned one). My reasoning? I've been able to play great homebrew games, emulators and also been able to use my GP2X as a media player. This community is built around those two devices.

Unfortunately, GPH doesn't support their consoles. They haven't participated in any of the forums or heeded the feedback. The success of the :gp2x and gp32_console has ridden on the communities that use the devices. We have great coders in the community, who have written all the games, apps, etc for this and a lot of people to provide feedback. If the community were to go, then both consoles would die out quickly.

With this community are distributors like ED and Craigix, who have talked person to person with GPH to try and voice the concerns and feedback of the community to no avail. It is their increasing frustration in this that was likely the motivation for the Pandora. The Pandora hasn't even come out yet and already we hear back from the group making it. They're already listening to feedback and adjusting their designs accordingly. That's way more support than you ever got from GPH.

If you have either a :gp2x or a gp32_console or were planning to buy one, then you also shouldn't have any worries about support for the Pandora because already, even before it's been released, there is evidence that we'll all get support for this device. There's a lot of people already in this community who will buy one instantly, so you can imagine with all that enthusiasm that it won't be too long before this thing will have a lot of great apps. :)

As for system reliability, we'll have to wait and see when the first batch comes out, and the reviews come in.

Luna_Lovegod said:
This One would love to buy one. It's practically perfect.

This One feels exactly the same way! Yay!
Is there any way we can pay you not to buy one?

prairiefire said:
The Pandora hasn't even come out yet and already we hear back from the group making it. They're already listening to feedback and adjusting their designs accordingly. That's way more support than you ever got from GPH.
That's more attention than any company would give you. The attention given by the developers here is unmatched, except by the folks at MediaMaster.

Interaction with customers is extremely important in today's online social world. :)

prairiefire said:
emulazione88 said:
GPH made a fantastic device with the GP2X :gp2x (and from what I hear, when they were GP, they made a fantastic device - GP32 gp32_console , although I have never owned one). My reasoning? I've been able to play great homebrew games, emulators and also been able to use my GP2X as a media player. This community is built around those two devices.

Unfortunately, GPH doesn't support their consoles. They haven't participated in any of the forums or heeded the feedback. The success of the :gp2x and gp32_console has ridden on the communities that use the devices. We have great coders in the community, who have written all the games, apps, etc for this and a lot of people to provide feedback. If the community were to go, then both consoles would die out quickly.

With this community are distributors like ED and Craigix, who have talked person to person with GPH to try and voice the concerns and feedback of the community to no avail. It is their increasing frustration in this that was likely the motivation for the Pandora. The Pandora hasn't even come out yet and already we hear back from the group making it. They're already listening to feedback and adjusting their designs accordingly. That's way more support than you ever got from GPH.

If you have either a :gp2x or a gp32_console or were planning to buy one, then you also shouldn't have any worries about support for the Pandora because already, even before it's been released, there is evidence that we'll all get support for this device. There's a lot of people already in this community who will buy one instantly, so you can imagine with all that enthusiasm that it won't be too long before this thing will have a lot of great apps. :)

As for system reliability, we'll have to wait and see when the first batch comes out, and the reviews come in.

Great post, woulda said it that way myself if I could have strung it together :)

Back