Will Production Ever Step Up A Gear?

There isn't anything of the sort. We have said they will all be shipped by October. What more could we possibly say? It's still the same. They will all be shipped by October.

The 1000th unit will be shipped within the next 2 weeks as long as UPS don't hold any packages etc (the usual possible delays out of our hands).

The next 3000 after that should not see a stop in production, but you want quality don't you? That's what were working on now.

PS I hate animals so I'd love to see that cat die.

Zotty said:
Well imho it's not really information is missing, but more the enthusiastic build up of anticipation followed by a quick drop in solid information. A bit like this: things are going great... oh this is going to be fantastic... yes everything's on track... etc etc... well maybe possibly there is the possibility of you peeps to wait a little longer... and then OPT does its little dancing around the subject trick leaving us hanging in there. We kind of have to take a sledgehammer and beat any news out of you guys. At least that's how I experience it. Maybe I've missed some important announcements, so anyone feel free to correct me ;)

edit:
typos

It's been that way since 2008. Craig and Ed will never see it from our perspective, just as GPH probably didn't quite get how they were screwing things up in the way they did. They are both quirky and fustrating in their own ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix, maybe you've been too busy for the last 3 years working on pandora to remeber just how rewarding a little pussy can be.

I feel I must add a lot of feeling and less fact is the basis for my last post. I've been waiting for a Pandora-like handheld for years. Seeing it actually becoming reality makes the highs extra high and the lows extra low. But no matter how production goes, this whole endeavor is just a dream coming true.

And yes I'd love quality. Said nothing about the time it took to get things right, only talked about how updates are registering in my mind ;)

TitanUranus said:
craigix, maybe you've been too busy for the last 3 years working on pandora to remeber just how rewarding a little pussy can be.
LOL, that remark with your avatar next to it :lol:

SomeGuy99 said:
Zotty said:
Well imho it's not really information is missing, but more the enthusiastic build up of anticipation followed by a quick drop in solid information. A bit like this: things are going great... oh this is going to be fantastic... yes everything's on track... etc etc... well maybe possibly there is the possibility of you peeps to wait a little longer... and then OPT does its little dancing around the subject trick leaving us hanging in there. We kind of have to take a sledgehammer and beat any news out of you guys. At least that's how I experience it. Maybe I've missed some important announcements, so anyone feel free to correct me ;)

edit:
typos

It's been that way since 2008. Craig and Ed will never see it from our perspective, just as GPH probably didn't quite get how they were screwing things up in the way they did. They are both quirky and fustrating in their own ways.

Oh, I DO understand it from your perspective as well.
I also want to know when all is finished. I didn't go on holidays for two years as I always thought I need to be ready to ship the Pandoras.

I also want to know when we have all the boards and cases in Texas. I'd love to know when production will be way more smoother than it is.
But I don't know it. And therefore, I can't tell you. That's the problem - it's not that I don't WANT to tell you the things - I just DON'T KNOW myself.
Because all we know from the other companies is the same you know from us: "We are working as fast on it as we can. It will be finished as soon as possible".
Then sometimes we know that the next 400 boards will arrive. And we post that. That's what we did a few days ago.

Oh, and as some of you want some small info that production seems fine so far:
Just soldered 200 LCD cables. 200 more coming during the next days.
Except for that my back now hurts, it went flawlessly :D

Last edited:
But can you stop the following thought from occuring in people's heads?

'Why can't they get it together? Bigger companies could get it together, so why should I stick with these guys? Why should I care?!'

Ed, you're an amazingly thoughtful and sincere man, and we all appreciate you for it. However... you are not a customer of Open Pandora. You will never 100% understand the perspective of us customers, even if you want to.

Those are simply the roles we all have in this project. You're either running the business or buying from the business, and the thick spongey cake layer in the middle, the one which binds us all together - is this community.

EvilDragon said:
Wow, I bet you already could do this with closed eyes. :)

EvilDragon said:

As a medical professional (it's true!) I can recommend that you immediately switch to a more ergonomic soldering iron. One with a proper back support, for starters, with knee rests. It should also have wrist supports.

I don't want you knackered and in hospital having your back injected before my pandora ships.

Now, get back to work.

D.

fusion_power said:
EvilDragon said:
Wow, I bet you already could do this with closed eyes. :)

Heh - I guess I shouldn't do that, eh?
Or do you all want broken speakers? :D

Last edited:
craigix said:
There isn't anything of the sort. We have said they will all be shipped by October. What more could we possibly say? It's still the same. They will all be shipped by October.

The 1000th unit will be shipped within the next 2 weeks as long as UPS don't hold any packages etc (the usual possible delays out of our hands).

The next 3000 after that should not see a stop in production, but you want quality don't you? That's what were working on now.

(emphasis mine)
This implies - without stating - that there has been a major event we have not heard anything about: As far as we know (unless I missed something) you only had 1000 cases. If more have arrived, then that is Exactly the type of thing that we are begging to know. (not dates, but status) If they haven't, then is there at least an ETA from the factory that we can all laugh about together?

davidgro said:
This implies - without stating - that there has been a major event we have not heard anything about
I'm pretty sure this is just classic Craig: Businessman extraordinaire talking.

davidgro said:
craigix said:

(emphasis mine)
This implies - without stating - that there has been a major event we have not heard anything about: As far as we know (unless I missed something) you only had 1000 cases. If more have arrived, then that is Exactly the type of thing that we are begging to know. (not dates, but status) If they haven't, then is there at least an ETA from the factory that we can all laugh about together?

I read that completely different.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to call you out... just pointing out that there are other perspectives on this.

In no way did I interpret that as "we have the parts for the next 3000 and they are starting as soon as the first 1000 are done" as you seem to have. Really Craig only missed a couple words... the meaning is the same either way, but not everybody has the same level of reading comprehension so he should have said it like this for maximum information clarity: "After the next 3000 start we should not see a stop in production from that time forward." I'm pretty sure that's what he meant... and we all know they can't start the next 3000 until they get some product from the Chinese factory.

...just my two sense, who cares if you disagree with me I don't need grief over it after all it's just my opinion.

What I think is happening is there has been too much communication.

Yes, too much! "We will do this, we have this to sell, this thing is the tits, etc.", all the while: nothing is shipping!

"Big" companies don't communicate so much, and when they do ship, they reap the rewards of a clean field. But in this case, we've all come to know the nitty-gritty details all too well, and can - as a mass - make our own conclusions about the negatives/positives of what we're being told .. and thats exactly the problem.

IF there were a little more control on craigs part, i.e. *not* spouting off about special things of which he is proud, *not* being abusive when confronted with a position unsavoury to his own, and so on .. probably there would be a bit more good-will around.

Good PR is about *control* - you *control* what your customers are thinking about you. This control hasn't exactly been superlative in the case of OPT .. in fact, its been downright dismal in many ways. However, you live and learn: hopefully the next OPT project will be a lot more sensible with the way it controls its PR.

My 2p stop badgering them about it and let them build the f**king things! the more time they spend having to answer bloody pointless emails or post the same non information on the forums for the 82'000th time the less time is spent working on the pandora's or improving the software ;)

My bday is the end of Oct so I will be a v. happy bunny to have mine before then, however having to wait till then is hardly detrimental to my health and I have better things to worry about. (such as wifi performance / battery impact ;) ) OP can't build till they have all the parts and I for one want to know the bloody thing is built right and my display cable is not going to go kaput 3 weeks in.
The important thing to me is how long it's going to last and how good it is WHEN I get it, the wait just heightens the taste.

anim106.gif

Will this keep some people happy now for a bit?

* 4000 housings are painted at the time
* 1000-1500 housings are shipped via UPS. The rest will come by ship
* 400 boards will be delivered next week
* EvilDragon will get 3200 LCD cable for soldering

The next device (2500 in number) will be assembled much faster and the remaining 1000 cases are sold to Modder

Google translation from the German Board. Says it comes from the English board but I couldn't find it with a quick look.

EDIT oh yes....here

EDIT 2: kk vadsamoht. you won this thread race :)

relliker said:
Will this keep some people happy now for a bit?

* 4000 housings are painted at the time
* 1000-1500 housings are shipped via UPS. The rest will come by ship
* 400 boards will be delivered next week
* EvilDragon will get 3200 LCD cable for soldering

The next device (2500 in number) will be assembled much faster and the remaining 1000 cases are sold to Modder

Google translation from the German Board. Says it comes from the English board but I couldn't find it with a quick look.
^ Here

trix said:
three years? I had thought we were approaching two... at least from the time of preorders opening.

Correct. Preorders opened 30 Sept 2008.

But the project was going for at least a year before then.

Back