Will Os Updates Be Automatic?

mattyrb

Hi,
I was wondering will the pandora OS be easily updatable via a USB and a custom desktop sync program? or will there be more to it?

Cheers
Matteus

riosingh said:
oh, there'll be a lot more to it.
So are we talking on par with the GP2X fannying around with patches via memory cards ? LoL

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a great deal of debate about package management and one may be used for the OS so that the pandora can update itself, but can also be updated by a computer. Nothing official yet, though.

sindbad said:
There has been a great deal of debate about package management and one may be used for the OS so that the pandora can update itself, but can also be updated by a computer. Nothing official yet, though.
Cool that would be pretty nice! I was hoping the Wifi might be used for this :)

switches on brain :blink:

sooo.... the Pandora can be un-bricked if the NAND is corrupted by just sticking a valid system image on an SD card and holding some keys down as it boots

so, maybe you do any system update the same way with an UPDATED system image?, yes?

or just download via apt like you do with a full Linux distro

should be really easy IMO

hobbyman

Theres no reason why you can't ask the package manager to update the os image over Wifi, and it just downloads whats changed and applies it. You would have to manually run the updater program however, as has been stated by adamorjames, rather than it being completely automated. I fail to see how that is stupid though... I suppose we could do the same as Windows and say "I've automatically downloaded yet another security update. Unless you tell me not to, I'm going to install and reboot your PC shortly, regardless of what apps or unsaved data you have (and even if you tell me not to, I'll just popup the exact same message every 5 minutes until you let me. I'll catch you out, I promise.)".

hobbyman II said:
switches on brain :blink:

sooo.... the Pandora can be un-bricked if the NAND is corrupted by just sticking a valid system image on an SD card and holding some keys down as it boots

so, maybe you do any system update the same way with an UPDATED system image?, yes?

or just download via apt like you do with a full Linux distro

should be really easy IMO

hobbyman
This is how I've understood it as well. (although the package manager it may not necessarily be apt itself).

mattyrb said:
Cool that would be pretty nice! I was hoping the Wifi might be used for this :)
A planned feature for POND is pushing out firmware updates to the clients.

Squidge: Heh, I was hoping more for the ubuntu style "I'll let you know you need to reset, but you gotta click this button when you're ready", due to aforementioned catch...

Squidge said:
Theres no reason why you can't ask the package manager to update the os image over Wifi, and it just downloads whats changed and applies it. You would have to manually run the updater program however, as has been stated by adamorjames, rather than it being completely automated. I fail to see how that is stupid though... I suppose we could do the same as Windows and say "I've automatically downloaded yet another security update. Unless you tell me not to, I'm going to install and reboot your PC shortly, regardless of what apps or unsaved data you have (and even if you tell me not to, I'll just popup the exact same message every 5 minutes until you let me. I'll catch you out, I promise.)".
Oh god how i hate when that happens. Microsoft's been making updates like that more often lately.

Hooka said:
Squidge: Heh, I was hoping more for the ubuntu style "I'll let you know you need to reset, but you gotta click this button when you're ready", due to aforementioned catch...

Thats the good thing with linux, you only ever need to reboot if you upgrade the kernel. Otherwise you can normally get away without it.

Huh? I meant like manually update.. like manually download and install each app's new version WHICH WOULD BE STUPID

srsly tho... just wait and see

adamorjames said:
Huh? I meant like manually update.. like manually download and install each app's new version WHICH WOULD BE STUPID

Well, if, 6 days after released, 4 of the internal apps get updated, why on earth would anyone decide to put those into 4 seperate downloads that all need to be done? Thats just daft, they'll all be released at once.

Hah!

Just as I was reading this, I got another windows update message telling me to restart.

[+ 4 hours], lol

if you guys would like to change vista's options on the updates, go to the start menu and in the search box type "gpedit.msc", then hit enter.
this is the Group Policy Object Editor.
go to "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update"
have fun =`P

Back