Wifi

I haven't observed any improvement when disabling power saving. My wifi seems to have bad moments, when it is just sulks, regardless of rebooting or changing the power saving. Would be good to try and track down the cause...

Didn't make any difference at all here either.
In the meantime i've bought a supposed usb2.0 ethernet adaptor that i'm going to use wired. the one i have currently is a 1.0 and while it works a treat through a hub if it's 2.0 its just one less thing to worry about rolling over on when lay in bed.

I've also seen an issue where once it connects to a wireless network, it won't connect to another. I had to disable wireless, delete the unwanted network to prevent it auto-reconnecting, re-enable wireless, then connect to the network that I wanted. Frustrating...

Beyond me why everyone who has a Pandora isn't screaming to have this fixed. It makes the Pandora pretty useless as an internet device, which is the main reason I bought it.

daffy said:
Beyond me why everyone who has a Pandora isn't screaming to have this fixed.
Has screaming ever solved any problem? Ever? Seriously? Well, I guess it gets a baby fed and diaper changed, that's two problems. We aren't babies and this isn't food and diaper. It's been reported. It'll get fixed. Screaming about it won't make things better, it'll just make people pissed off, namely the people planning on working on it. Don't piss off your developer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyone who has a Pandora is having issues, may be another reason why. :p There are many routers and different setups out there, after all. I've only had occasionally connection drops when leaving the unit idle (for example, when I've put it aside whilst connected so that I can go and eat a meal), not whilst actually using the wireless connection, and that applies to both of the units I've had.

I have spoke alot about the wifi issues as have many other people, I reported wifi issues in the but tracker but at the moment no one is working on the bugs in the tracker and according to evildragon they wont be untill the OS devs are ready to - guess this is the nature of the beast with open-source software and people will only do things when they want to and not when the consumers want them.

milkshake said:
I have spoke alot about the wifi issues as have many other people, I reported wifi issues in the but tracker but at the moment no one is working on the bugs in the tracker and according to evildragon they wont be untill the OS devs are ready to - guess this is the nature of the beast with open-source software and people will only do things when they want to and not when the consumers want them.
I check the bug tracker from time to time but it seems ...well.. pretty static there. ^^" No much movement, only new stuff gets into the tracker but it seems that not much stuff is removed from the tracker. And we only have ~600 Pandoras out there. Imagine whats happening if 6000 people have a Pandora and plan to make usage of the bug-tracker... :ph34r:

^ The kernel devs are not very active right now, cause they need some free time. Wie ist die Aussicht auf'm Balkon? :p

Prometheus said:
Not everyone who has a Pandora is having issues, may be another reason why. :p There are many routers and different setups out there, after all. I've only had occasionally connection drops when leaving the unit idle (for example, when I've put it aside whilst connected so that I can go and eat a meal), not whilst actually using the wireless connection, and that applies to both of the units I've had.
I have carried my Pandora with me for a while. I've probably connected to twenty different wifi networks -- public, private, open, encrypted -- and every time, my Pandora just stopped talking to the internet after at most ten minutes, and often as little as one.

Bump. If this isn't a major issue affecting everyone, how do we determine why it's affecting just the three of us?

daffy said:
Bump. If this isn't a major issue affecting everyone, how do we determine why it's affecting just the three of us?

+1

I did some testing on this last night while working on some multiplayer networking code, and I found that if I do the "iwconfig wlan0 power off" command before the network is attached to my WLAN, I get hours and hours of connectivity with no dropouts whatsoever.

If I do it after the connection, it seems like things get flakey, per usual. Maybe you guys want to test this?

EDIT: also, about the bug fixes issue - there are a lot of bug fixes that will be flowing through to us end-users once the feed situation gets sorted. Right now there is a bit of a 'jam' on the flow of fixes into the official sources and through the repo off to end-users .. you guys should be a little bit more patient about these bugs being fixed, because once the line that goes from "developer->OP source repo->OP build server->End-user Feeds" is smoothed out, these bugfixes will be more able to propagate. I have a sense that there are developers hanging back on fixing some of these bugs because the complexity of end-user installment is too high right now, but this will change ..

in all honesty i am not overley worried, it'l be ok at some point and im cool with that.

in the meantime i have an Edimax EU-4230 USB2 to ethernet im using.

Someone on another thread suggested that he had encountered no problems with WPA2.
By luck I had another router that was WPA2 compatible.
Since changing from WEP I have had no connection problems (used to drop off every 10 minutes with WEP and repeatedly asked for passkey).

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
daffy said:

+1
It is not just you. It happens on my campus Wifi and my home network as well.
I have to be close to my router to maintain a stable connection.
Even then the transfer speed drops off significantly over time.

I have the Buffalo whr-hp-54g router with dd-wrt firmware.
The Pandora drops the connection every few minutes when in my garage.
So much so that sometimes I remove the SD and use the laptop in front of me to download things for the Pandora.
My iBuddies can surf fine with their iThings in the same garage on the same Wifi network.

I lowered my router's security to WEP and it made no difference.
Tried sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off and it made no difference.

So I find the current state of Wifi to be a weak point on the Pandora.
I haven't really complained because I figured they (OpenPandora) must be aware of this by now.
Hopefully this is a software issue than can be resolved.

I'm in the same boat, dgame.
With the added complexity that I move from my house to garage, and have to connect to two different wifi routers.
The Pandora no likey switching between.
And yes, I've set the two routers to opposite ends of the channel spectrum.
No encryption, they are both open wifi routers.

Sometimes it will run for hours, sometimes I can't get it to connect at all even after a reboot.
Oh, and top download speeds seem to be around 60kBps.
Other devices on the same network routinely hit 1200kBps.

How's that HF4 coming along?
Any Wifi tweaking in there?

I've the same issue, the only solution i've found is to write a simple script on the pandora that ping the gateway once it's connected :

Code:
  echo "Stop wifi ..."
  /etc/init.d/wl1251-init stop 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
  sleep 1
  echo "Start wifi ..."
  /etc/init.d/wl1251-init start 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

while :
  do
     sleep 5
     GW=`route -n | grep '^0.0.0.0' | awk '{ print $2 }'`
     if [ "x$GW" != "x" ]
     then ping -i 2 $GW 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
     fi
  done

peelie said:
am getting this 'dropout' now will this be fixed in hotfix 5?

Yes, should already be fixed in the current beta versions of HF5.

Last edited:
Back