Wifi WPA Enterprise 802.11X not working

cubical

Still Fresh
Hi folks,

after waiting for four years, I finally received my pandora this week. Now I'm trying to connect to my wifi, that is protected by WPA Enterprise (PEAP/TTLS with MSCHAPv2). But it's not working.

It's connecting and authentication seems to be ok (wlan0: authenticated), but no data is transfered, dhclient is also failing.

After exactly 70 seconds, I'm getting:

wlan0: deauthenticating from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx by local choice (reason=3)

I tried both, networkmanager and manual configuration, the result is the same. I already tried to turn off powersaving (iwconfig wlan0 power off) and disabling ipv6, but it did not help at all. connecting with a "normal" WPA/WPA2 PSK network works fine.

PS: I already updated to the latest RC firmware but it did not change anything.

So is there some issue with the wifi module? I read somewhere on the forums that LEAP is working but PEAP is not?

Thanks in advance

cubical

I can confirm LEAP works fine for me, it's what I have at work...

Can you confirm if you can get a connection to an unsecured router? Failure rate for the wifi chip, while not a majority, are unfortunately high. All Pandoras are tested, including wifi, before they go out the door, but we've seen some weird things with wifi where it'll work just fine on one router and then get bogged down the next, or fail to connect to an open channel where encryption suddenly makes it ok (or vice versa). Such a troublesome beast.

But we start by finding out if you can at least make some connection somewhere.

edit: oh duh, sorry, you said "connecting to a normal WPA/WPA2 PSK network works fine."

Sorry, I missed that sentence. I'll have a think on this, it should be working, others have gotten it to work. Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
the wifi chip is fine, I can connect to WPA PSK without any issue. I tried now at work with a different accesspoint and a newer freeradius server (using 2.1.12 here). This configuration is working fine. So, next I will try updating my router (still using radius 1.x there, because it always worked well), openwrt also provides 2.1.x binaries. Thanks so far, I let you know, if it's working.

Mine can't connect to Eduroam at Glasgow Uni, which is also WPA Enterprise with PEAP and MSCHAPv2. In my case, when I try to connect, the network icon just spins for a while and then the security box pops up again. Using a USB wifi adapter didn't help.

i tried some more but could not get it working with freeradius 1.x. So I upgraded my router and switched to freeradius 2.x and it's working now. Openwrt is using a different supplicant (wpad instead of wpa_supplicant) now, so i can't tell exactly if freeradius or the supplicant caused the problem.

my credentials look exactly like this and it works like a charm (my setup is similar to eduram's peap).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear, but your fix only works if you're the network admin.

I'm planning to try a different Pandora OS at some point, so I'll see if that helps.

Back