2 Player Controller Adaptor

Swiss_Cheeseman

SwissCM
I was thinking recently that since the GP2X has TV output it could be used as a regular TV console. Perhaps an adaptor that plugs into the EXT ports allowing the user to plug in Playstation controllers or somesuch. Since so many of the emulated systems support 2 player, it makes sense and would negate the need for 2 GP2Xs (which realistically would be unlikely to see).

I know there are chatboards available so using it for input isn't unheard of, however stuff like latency could be an issue I guess though I don't know the specifications of the EXT port. Also, there would have to be a sort of a universal "standard", otherwise emulator authors would all do their own implementation for a specific version of the adaptor.

I think it's a very realistic and useful idea, someone else would have to hack something together since my hardware skills are rather lacklustre. All I know how to do is solder-in modchips do some minor modifications on PCBs. A few things that would be worth discussing are:

- What controllers would be used (Playstation, SNES, Mega Drive etc)
- How it would interface with the GP2X
- Could a driver be written for the firmware
- Room for expansion so the EXT port can still be used, not sure if it's possible

I personally think a Playstation controller would be the best way to go. They are plentiful and well documented, and have some extra buttons that could be used for other emulation functions.

Any input from developers, or anyone, would be great!

hehe, karthur, the guy that also did windups, managed to get a psx controler working with gp32 some time ago, last night i talked to him on irc.
He is trying to finish/get the shematics (they ar ein another house) and than may release it.
There is no reason this wont also work with gp2x.

Snes controllers already been done on the 2x ;) Have a search on the forum. And I think standard PSX pads are a bit rubbish since MD had 6 face buttons and all the good beat em ups need 6 face bittons..... the street fighter 2 editions ones though would be perfect! 6 Face buttons, 2 shoulders and a D pad, ideal for any emulator the GP could ever do.

Um, I thought SF2 on SNES was great because the shoulder buttons works for heavy attacks, I don't like controllers that doesn't use the sytandard 4x 90 degree spaced thumb buttons. With a regular PS controller the top 2 shoulders could be used for volume control since volume buttons will be used for other things in certain games.

I was actually going to post about the same thing, that's why TV-out was so important to me, the gp2x would be a true compact mobile multi platform open source video console. That just blows my pants off

It shouldn't be a problem to just get the controllers on the GP2X, problem is to get both the TV-Out and the controllers at the EXT-Port. ;)

Try this, I had the idea a while back to make the EXT Tv-out better

My Topic on tv-out fix

I mention chatboard, but I mean any general input device.

Basically it involves putting a socket on the plug that you put in the EXT.

and using this cord for the tv-out
vidcord.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back