Why Should We Buy This Gpx2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobydew

Still Fresh
I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone on this board but I have to wonder why
all of us should buy this gpx2 or the XGP. I have owned the following
handhelds/devices in the past: GBA-SP, PSP, GP32, GP32 BLU, Zodiac 2, Ipod Mini, Ipod Shuffle, Dell Axim X50v, Zire 71, and nearly everyone of the popular non-portable consoles like the Atari 2600 to the X-Box so I know all about the fun of gaming and media. I just have to wonder why this "new" thing is any different and a must have thing to own. I read the boards to get a heads up and I have found myself wishing for that extra little bit of information until it(the gpx2) comes
out in october but when I look hard to see what it does I have to scratch my head
about it. gp32_console

Sure it plays movie and music files, reads ebooks, and soon to be emulators but
so does my laptop or a pda. I don't travel on the train to work everyday but I
can see the usefulness of the gpx2 to someone who does. I would bet the majority
of us don't ride a train to work so I have to question this purchase which after
a 1-GB SD card will run you about $250 U.S. dollars. That seems like a lot of
money to play the Legend of Zelda yet again or to beat Super Metroid for the 3rd
time. :rolleyes:

Again, I don't mean to step on anyones toes here, but owning this device will
seem like a "been there done that" situation. In all fairness they have made what
reads to be a useful many trick pony device to some of us and the specs do sound
very good but we have to remember that Gamepark/Gamepark Holdings is out to make money from its market just like every company out there. So if you fall in love with it all the better for them and, of course, for the purpose of feeding some
hidden need or craving that never really gets satisfied as i've experienced again
and again. I'm just being more aware now of where my money is ending up. B)

Here is a familiar scenario. Many of us are going to buy the new Gamecube Zelda
which is a variation on the SAME exact game that we spent hours and hours to win
ie: Link fights monsters, solves puzzles, gets more rupees, and stronger items
and defeats the end boss in each board to eventually through button mashing
defeats Ganondorf Version 3.0 to win. Sound familiar to something you and I have
done countless times. Wow it's just like deja vu isn't it? :blink:

I do hope this post is not deleted because it is contrary to business to some who
use it(like Craig of gbax.com) but I have been watching the video game scene for
a long time and had to speak my mind. In my opinion all of us do seem to feed
the corporate machine by purchasing something old/re-touched in a shiny new
package again and again. Perhaps it is just a way to fill our time up with
something to do. Who knows. I certainly don't but my instincts know when
something doesn't feel beneficial to me and right now its speaking its mind in
this forum. I hope you, the reader, haven't looked at this with an unthinking
devotion but instead with an open mind.
Thanks for reading my rant for all those that did. Joe. :D , ;)

Talk about a wall of text...

Anyway, what Jarska333 said - you don't have to buy one if you don't want to.

And there's a lot more games around than Zelda & Metroid. As well as a lot of games that were not yet emulated on GP32. There are literally many THOUSANDS of games from the 8bit and 16bit console and computer eras. There's a lot more to retro than SNES. In fact, I rarely even play SNES emus.

I think its a valid post, although I have never seen anyone deleting particularly negative posts in this forum.

I have started at least 2 posts in this very forum that ask the same thing you ask, only in greater detail.

1) Linux On The Gpx2, What does that mean?
2) Possible Ports For The Gpx2 With the new hardware whats possible

thats without the oodles of posts regarding the hardware, emulation possibilities.

I think the interesting thing is that you say this

GBA-SP, PSP, GP32, GP32 BLU, Zodiac 2, Ipod Mini, Ipod Shuffle, Dell Axim X50v, Zire 71

I hate to say it but really all these are made redundant by a GPX2, as its a competitor to all of them. Really. I'm surprised, your not loading up e-bay as we speak. I think with that little lot you will be able to buy GPX2 and its successer :) and keep the functionality you already have + more in one device that IMO is better suited.

But if your really talking about new! functionality well apart from serious improvements,(better in every way). The number one has to be Movies on the move. You could do it on GPX2, but not really. It was not even something I even considered with its limited storage, and having to convert movie files first.

The main attraction though is you have *seen it all before*, you know what the GP32 can do, and its all good Homebrew Games/Commercial Ports/Emulation/Music/Movies. Only the GPX2 can do it better. The only competitor to the GPX2 is the GP32. The question is what will drive people to switch hell speculation at a guess one of the following Quake1 or 2/SNES/AMIGA/GBA/Neo Geo. For me they got me at Linux and a five minute conversion of a linux GBC emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the never ending quest for the perfect emulation portable. This one is supposedly closer.

I see it much like a PC, every 3 or so years, you need to do a complete upgrade if you want to play the latest software. In the case of the GPX2 it enables existing emlators which used to be slow to be run at full speed.

Yes the 'same old games' argument does pop up but I find that as emulation improves I'm able to play games which I wouldn't enjoy much with high frameskip. However even now new games keep appearing on old consoles to play through translation patches. Most people play Secret of mana, Final Fantasy and chrono trigger etc. but with translation patches we're now able to enjoy some anime themed games, Tales of phantasia (only snes game I can recall with a full vocal track) and recently, Clock Tower.Not to mention as newer consoles become possible you're able to experience games you've never played before.

You may have been able to play them on a PDA but there are very few non-RPGs for instance that are playable using a PDA's controls or you may have had it on a PC and been underwhelmed but on a portable a game may be much more enjoyable.

DaveC posted on Aug 30 2005 at 05:35 PM said:
It is the never ending quest for the perfect emulation portable. This one is supposedly closer.

I suspect emulation, which made up a large part of what the GP32 did. Will experience, less limelight than it once did. The GPX2 it seems will do a whole lot more, its going to be a more capable device all around.

GBA-SP: GPX2 should be able to emulate this.

PSP: Firmware upgrades? wrong screen ratio? ewww.

GP32: GPX2 is more powerful.

GP32 BLU: Same

Zodiac 2: Expensive piece of S**t?

Ipod Mini: Limited capability, and more expensive than GPX2

Ipod Shuffle: Cheaper but limited.

Dell Axim X50v: A what?

Zire 71: ?!?!

Anyways, GPX2 not only plays game, emulates old consoles (possibly up to NeoGeo), it also plays videos of various codec that doesn't need to be encoded to play, plays music for 14 hours on 2 AA battery, it will read texts, ebooks, view images,

AND all of that with TV-OUT!

GPX2 would be just another PDA wannabe handheld if it wasnt for the TV-OUT. With that function, GPX2 sorta became like an all-in-one super-mini console with awsome features.

I like GPX2 and what it promises. I just hope they won't go out of stock too fast coz I never preorder things... :(

My last PDA just died, I wouldnt mind a replacement that can read Ebooks or that I can view downloaded anime on without reencoding or atleast encoding with far less of a problem than the GP32 or PSP. Memory is a lot cheaper than the PSP as well. I can get a 1gb SD card for 80 bucks most places I go, a 1 gb MS for under 115 bucks is so rare that it should be on an endangered species list.

if the gpX2 is a true successor of gp32, i'm going to buy one

not for all emu/ports/linux apps/remake/etc that will be availbale on it, but to see what I am able to do with a 2 arm cpu gaming console :)

I have a laptop with Mame, PSX, SNES, MD, NEOGEO, DVD, Directx, OpenGL, ScummVM, DosBox, VSTi instruments, 3ds max, Photoshop, etc, etc, etc, etc

but....

All the videogame history in your pocket, with a 200 Mhz graphic accelerator, on an open source linux environment !!!

I want one

Cyclops posted on Aug 30 2005 at 07:29 PM said:
GBA-SP, PSP, GP32, GP32 BLU, Zodiac 2, Ipod Mini, Ipod Shuffle, Dell Axim X50v, Zire 71

I hate to say it but really all these are made redundant by a GPX2, as its a competitor to all of them. Really. I'm surprised, your not loading up e-bay as we speak. I think with that little lot you will be able to buy GPX2 and its successer :) and keep the functionality you already have + more in one device that IMO is better suited.
No. The damn thing has no touchscreen.
polooo2 posted on Aug 30 2005 at 08:05 PM said:
It's ok if you don't know much about the Zodiac. It's not ok if you talk bullshit about it. It is expensive but it is worth every dollar. No other handheld comes close to the Zodiac.

My personal opinion on the topic: The GPX2 seems totally useless. It has a little more computing power but too little. It still has the same small screen. It has no touchscreen and not even an analog stick. If you've got a GP32 you don't really need it. The GPX2 needs exclusive content bad because it has not much else to offer. The games is what it's all about after all.

Not to mention that this is a board that focuses around Gamepark/GPH... it's not like you wouldn't see "PSP Roxorz" everywhere on a Playstation forum.

OrR: You're missing the point. The GPX2 isn't meant to be another Zodiac; it has no PDA-like functions and is geared specifically towards homebrew development rather than commercial. There's no handheld like this on earth, save for the GP32 which was more of an happy accident.

It's ok if you don't know much about the Zodiac. It's not ok if you talk bullshit about it. It is expensive but it is worth every dollar. No other handheld comes close to the Zodiac.

Pardon me while I LOL, analog makes things like a few PSone games a lil better, but for anything beyond that it's hell, plus it's pricy for being a closed setup. (And pay-for emulators= lose.) And I don't dig having an expensive hard to replace battery in a handheld.

My personal opinion on the topic: The GPX2 seems totally useless. It has a little more computing power but too little. It still has the same small screen. It has no touchscreen and not even an analog stick. If you've got a GP32 you don't really need it. The GPX2 needs exclusive content bad because it has not much else to offer. The games is what it's all about after all.

My personal opinion is you are looking for a PDA, and not a multi-function emulation and media behemoth, Screen too small? The aspect ratio is just right to scale just about anything and everything to it properly.

No touchscreen? Oh goodie gumdrops. Just what I always wanted, a screen full of creases scratches and smudges 24/7 just to open a menu I could click in only one millisecond more with a button press. And like I said, you're looking for a PDA or a nintendo DS, not the kind of device the GPX2 is.

and too little power? Dual processors not one 200MHZ base one, but Overclockable Dual Processors and as for exclusive content, what does the zodiac have to offer me? A cut down spy hunter? <_<

Likewise, don't talk bullshit about something you don't know about. :p

OrR posted on Aug 30 2005 at 11:50 PM said:
polooo2 posted on Aug 30 2005 at 08:05 PM said:
My gp32_console kicks its ass.

My personal opinion on the topic: The GPX2 seems totally useless.
I'm starting to dislike you already.

It has a little more computing power but too little.
uh, 200mhz * 2 vs. 133mhz, you do the math (that times two means two different processors at that speed, not 400mhz).

It still has the same small screen.
The gp32 BLU screen is great! Too much bigger and its no longer portable, too much smaller and you can't see a damn thing. Widescreen sucks for emulation.

It has no touchscreen
WTF do you want a touchscreen for on a system that is designed around emulation and homebrew? Sure, there might be a couple good homebrew games using the touchscreen but if you really want a handheld with a touchscreen I would recommend the nintendo ds (now only $129.99!)
and not even an analog stick.
Analog sticks suck for emulation.
If you've got a GP32 you don't really need it.
I know its hard to believe but most of us don't NEED our gp32's either.
The GPX2 needs exclusive content bad because it has not much else to offer.
Its got a hell of a lot to offer.

Please post some more, its fun to rip your posts apart :)

God... Can't people leave their fanboy ignorance at home. Displaying it in public is like wearing a sign on your back that says "I'm ignorant and I want everyone to know!"

GP32 Fanboys: The BEST emulators on Zodiac are FREE. 100% FREE. In fact there are some amazing FREE emus, games and apps for the Zodiac, some even better than what's on GP32. And unlike Gamepark devices, the Zodiac is a true PDA and worth the price if you want/need a PDA, especially compared to what PalmOne offers.

Zodiac Fanboys: The GPX2 is very powerful and very versatile, has great controls and is Linux based. It's NOT a PDA, it's a gaming device with excellent multimedia support. If you want a PDA then no, it's not for you. But it will play games better than any PDA can, including the Zodiac (sorry but the analog pad and odd buttons were a disappointment).

If you don't like a certain system, then just don't visit messageboards about it. And if you don't own or really know much about a system, then just keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

"Sure it plays movie and music files, reads ebooks, and soon to be emulators but
so does my laptop or a pda."

true. but which costs more?

"I don't travel on the train to work everyday but I
can see the usefulness of the gpx2 to someone who does."

ok

"I would bet the majority
of us don't ride a train to work so I have to question this purchase which after
a 1-GB SD card will run you about $250 U.S. dollars."

you would bet right. $250 is still cheaper than a decent laptop tho

"That seems like a lot of
money to play the Legend of Zelda yet again or to beat Super Metroid for the 3rd
time."

....you forgot the whole text viewer, picture viewer, mp3 and movie playback thing.
just thought i'd add that in :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back