Why should anyone buy an Open Pandora?

brokemike

I have a question. I used to own a Open Pandora but traded it for a GPU for my pc. And now I can't seem to understand why I was ever into the little device. I feel like I can do much more on my galaxy s3. And of cource emulation isn't a problem with my pc. But the device has tons of potential. when I had it, it was if it had a broken os. And could only really game on emulators very well. which all android device do just fine. I guess I wanna know if there has been any improvement. Like I said the device has alot of potential. I sold it right around the time android was ported to it. And I was surprised that worked so well.

The 1Ghz Super Pandora 2.0 Pro has blast processing

I doubt we'll ever change your mind... but the Pandora userbase is growing and with more users comes more releases and more stability....  I think it's worth every penny because I use it every second day

Outside n64, I have yet seen any Android emulator that was any better than what we have. One thing touch screen phones suck at is old Computer emulation like Amiga and DOS.. The games I grew up with, Games that require a keyboard. 

I feel the total opposite of you, my smart phone may be good for general things, it sucks not having physical controls, I generally don't like touch screen games.. It's used for the phone and taking pictures that's it. 

Also besides emulators and games, the Pandora is generally a small light weight PC. I have Libreoffice, full command line utilities for work stuff.. Another note We're seeing more and more cool games show up.. We just got Freespace 1 and 2 ported, try playing that on a touch screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I use the attachable contoller for my phone. and I can also use a classic wii mote pro controller which is just fine.And I dnt understand how you could get work done on that thing!

^ Well _wb_ programmed two games entirely on the Pandora.

I wouldn't call carrying around a controller entirely that convenient.

Classic standby: if you don't know what you'd use it for then it isn't the right device for you and nothing we can say will convince you of its usefulness.

I use mine all the time, it replaced my laptop at work for a time because it fit in my pocket and I didn't have to find an outlet in order to work, but that's my use case. Everyone here has their own story. You don't have a story, that's fine, just enjoy your phone if it does what you need.

. I feel like I can do much more on my galaxy s3. 
You're probably not doing much with it, then. 
Exactly.  Look, the Pandora is very useful and multi-functioned, but it's a niche device - not for everyone...and obviously not for "brokemike".  I like the versatility, and the ability to do so much more than I can on any phone.  Its my dream device really...I've always wanted a tiny computer like this.  Brokemike might say something like "just get a laptop lol"...(and has), but I can't fit a laptop in my pocket.  I travel light and it does what I want it to.  I have specific needs though which cater to this great device.  It obviously doesn't fulfill all of "brokemike"s...oh well.  I'm not going to try to convince you, "Mike".  You seem to already have what you want already.  Best of luck to you.

start-believing-in-troll-threads.jpg

yeah it's a very niche product. And I am kinda trolling but also deep down was hoping there was some major improvements made to the operating system. I used to write school papers on the open pandora. heck I even refined my resume on the device.

What possible improvements would you want?  It runs the Angstrom/Linux distro...it's quickly switchable to the "mini-menu" option.  You yourself know about running Android on the device.  You can run run Windows 95/98 through Qemu.  What more would you want?  It's a labor of love...not all things are "plug and play" on this device, but that's to be expected.  Figure out WHAT you want it to do, and then try to make IT happen - this is a VERY helpful and knowledgeable community.  You sometimes have to put more work into it than you would on other devices.  I myself enjoy the "troubleshooting" and doing what others say "can't be done".  Maybe it's a wow factor from friends, but I just like using this device when I could just do the same thing with a laptop.  I'm weird though...if there was any doubt.   :p  

To each his own.  Troll away, I have no problem with it...

Well, there have been a lot of major improvements. Are they improvements that you care about though? What is it exactly that you want that you don't think your phone would be suitable for?

That depends on what the last version of the OS you actually used, and what you were looking for in terms of refinement.   Each new version of the OS has been a significant improvement over the previous version,  but whether the parts of it that you considered to be broken have been fixed I have no idea.  

While I have certainly enjoyed all the improvements, I never considered it broken as such, and I even still run SuperZaxxon  beta 5a on one of my units, which (if I recall correctly) was the current version when the Android PND was released.

- Neelix

one of the recent improvement was that we got a 2nd screen attachment so it can run a nds emulator right now with very good compatibiltiy

What possible improvements would you want? 
Printing would be nice.  :)
Interesting.  I'll look into it.  Thanks for the idea/input.

Edit1:  I trust that there aren't a lot of linux printer drivers out there that are compatible with our OS or what type of printer that you have?  I hadn't really even thought of this as something that people would want.  I just create the files through Libre Office, or GIMP or whatever type of software that I have on the Pandora and save it as a certain portable file type (usually pdf)..and just email it (via clawsmail) or save to an SD card for printing on another computer...

Great idea though  -  I'll definitely noodle with this.

Back