Is the open pandora worth buying with all these android devices around?

Perfectblade

Still Fresh
I have been eyeing the pandora ever since it was first announced, there really is not anything like it........until now.....  I am asking a big question, not trolling, just to clear things up, I really do want a explanation on this(please)

With all the android tablets coming out with quad core processors and 2gbs of ram and tons of useful apps and emulators I am questioning whether the pandora is relevant at this time. You can use a controller and keyboard on the nexus 7 for example, if you want something more portable than this is a pretty good option http://www.willgoo.com/jxd-s5110b-dual-core-android-console-dual-analog-stick-p-338.html?zenid=ol1migsalkne21nkunp2q343f4

I am just asking what does a pandora do that android devices cannot do in this day in age? The pandora is an awesome device but I am looking on the side of things that question if the device is necessary, the 1ghz pandora goes for around $650 while you can get a android device that is perfectly capable for $150-$300 

Ok I AM aware of the 10 hour battery life on the pandora, I guess that would benefit those who travel around a lot because it can last an entire plane flight but most pandora fans that I see use it at home or short bursts on the go 

Thanks for reading this, I really appreciate it if you decided to take the time to also explain to me why the pandora is still a good purchase 

This has been discussed quite a lot if you care to look around . It simply is for you to decide which system fits your needs. The pandora adds another option. Looking at sales figures makes the average person's choice clear. So the simple question remains: are you an average person?

The Pandora is worth buying it because of all these android devices around.

:)

Thanks for reading this, I really appreciate it if you decided to take the time to also explain to me why the pandora is still a good purchase 
Full OS and physical game controls/keyboard.

I couldn't have used an android device for my 2 years of studies.

(I accidentally hit the "Report" button instead the "Quote" button. Ignore please)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora is worth buying it because of all these android devices around.

:)

Full OS and physical game controls/keyboard.

I couldn't have used an android device for my 2 Years of studies.
Well see, the thing is, you can, there are office programs on android and android DOES support keyboard and mouse, my nexus 7 has a keyboard case and a bluetooth mouse, I use it to write some reviews on niche games. And the full OS does not have an advantage over android though, keep in mind that android and the pandora OS are both linux, just because something looks like windows does not mean it is a full desktop

I hear they are making a pandora 2, I think things will be impoved 

Usual answer:

It depends on you. ^^

For me the current Pandora is great and will keep me occupied until there is a successor.

I discover nice stuff for it all the time and I just got into compo4all,

besides I do not want to have anything to do with Google.

Just as a sidenote: JXD is garbage and there is better hardware around for Android, IF you really want Android.

This has been discussed quite a lot if you care to look around . It simply is for you to decide which system fits your needs. The pandora adds another option. Looking at sales figures makes the average person's choice clear. So the simple question remains: are you an average person?
Yup.

I play emulators all the time so yes and no? If that makes any sense, the typical person does not spend as much time playing retro games I do, it is a  niche thing. I do not develop games which is one of the things pandora is advertised to do, 

Usual answer:

It depends on you. ^^

For me the current Pandora is great and will keep me occupied until there is a successor.

I discover nice stuff for it all the time and I just got into compo4all,

besides I do not want to have anything to do with Google.

Just as a sidenote: JXD is garbage and there is better hardware around for Android, IF you really want Android.

Yup.
Yeah you are right on the jxd part, it was just an example, a better example maybe would have been this http://www.archos.com/products/themed/gamepad2/index.html?country=us&lang=en it is better than jxd and gets the job done, or go all out and get the nvidia shield, it will run any emulator like a boss :)

2x SD-card slot

Full USB

Big community

Open system

Big Battery

Clamshell design (important for me)

Is there any webside/picture that shows how you use your Android device with physical controls and can do multi tasking (switching between Office, browser and PDF reader)

It's no provocation. I really want to see it.

For emulation, I have yet to find an Android device that worked well. At least for most types of games, anything that requires a keyboard, mouse or joystick is going to work better with a Pandora. Onscreen keys just don't seem to work well.

Also, despite only being 1ghz, I've noticed that the performance is generally quite good. A large part of that has to do with the lack of bloatware that some Android devices ship with and can be a head ache to remove.

Archos is garbage too, the Shield is the only Android device I can take serious and it still lacks some of the Pandora treats I really like,

extreme storage, form factor, keyboard, community software, cummunity support, power efficiency (amazing what you can achieve with this hardware and for how long without a monster sized battery) etc..

Could someone please correct the topic, please?

Here's how it should be:

"Is one of all these android devices worth buying with a Pandora around"

;)

For emulation, I have yet to find an Android device that worked well. At least for most types of games, anything that requires a keyboard, mouse or joystick is going to work better with a Pandora. Onscreen keys just don't seem to work well.

Also, despite only being 1ghz, I've noticed that the performance is generally quite good. A large part of that has to do with the lack of bloatware that some Android devices ship with and can be a head ache to remove.
You are not aware that android supports controllers? 

Are you not aware that this is not the same as actually having everything ready to go as standard? :)

Connecting big peripherals exterminates the whole point of a "handheld".

Connecting big peripherals exterminates the whole point of a "handheld".
Most people find that it works well, and a full controller is more comfortable than handheld controlls. But there are options that have controls built in

It is sad this topic turned into a fanboy war, I just wanted someone to tell me if the pandora was worth it without being a fanboy about it, I would have said "ok, I will think about it" and left it at that 

Correct me if I'm wrong but what good is a quad core adroid handheld if the software/programs/games for it are not optimized?  The hardware of the pandora is weak compared to all these quadcore adroids, BUT because of that, Pandora devs spent lots of time trying to optimize the sofware for it so it runs just as good or better than the same program on android. Take PCSX-Rearmed for example, it runs perfectly on the Pandora where PS1 emulators on the Nvidia Shield can't compare, except for PCSX-ReArmed in RetroArch because it was developed by notaz and Exphose who are members of this Pandora forum:).  So it all boils down to optimization and most of the stuff on the Pandora are optimized by dedicated devs to use it's full capability.

There are a lot of this same question on this forum.  You can look at one here

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14723-is-it-worth-to-buy-a-pandora//URL]

It isn't even a fanboy war yet. ^^

If you want a handheld with keyboard, gaming controls, etc., get a handheld with keyboard, gaming controls, etc. - not many options there.

If you want a computer to carry around, set up on a table on vacations and connect stuff to it while it rests on the table, there are so many options.

I think we've just assumed, that you are after a handheld that.. well... is held in your hands.

If it's just about emulation, the Shield may be great too, you just have to forget about proper C64, Amiga and Dos,

pay for the emulators, deal with Google and live with this extremely tiny storage and dimensions that leave less room in your bag.

If this is ok with you, then the Shield is great with its great build quality and all.

It is sad this topic turned into a fanboy war, I just wanted someone to tell me if the pandora was worth it without being a fanboy about it, I would have said "ok, I will think about it" and left it at that 
I've not seen any fanboy posts... people are stating reasons why they find the Pandora better. Most people are aware that you can get controllers and external keyboards but, as mentioned, for them it defeats the point of having a handheld device.

EDIT: Askarus was "joking" well I huess half-joking but it was obvious it was a humour-based post. Lighten up...

Could someone please correct the topic, please?

Here's how it should be:

"Is one of all these android devices worth buying with a Pandora around"

;)
It is quite sad that I could not get proper explanations without hardcore fanboyism attached to it, I was expecting a mature community that would give help to a potential pandora buyer, I have been considering the device for awhile now. I do know the advantages of the pandora now that people have said it but obvious fanboyism could have been left out.

I've not seen any fanboy posts... people are stating reasons why they find the Pandora better. Most people are aware that you can get controllers and external keyboards but, as mentioned, for them it defeats the point of having a handheld device.
Ok be honest here, do you use your pandora more at home or on the go? If it is on the go then I will give you that point, but if you honestly answer at home then there you go. I do not play games on the go much since I need full concentration on my games so my 3ds and nexus 7 stay at home except for the rare times I am spending a day at a relative or friends house. The vast majority are happy with simply connecting a controller to a tablet, but it would be nice to have controls built in, I WILL admit that is more comfortable 

Alright so I have made my mind

I will order a 1ghz pandora early next year with my tax refund money :)

Ok be honest here, do you use your pandora more at home or on the go? If it is on the go then I will give you that point, but if you honestly answer at home then there you go. I do not play games on the go much since I need full concentration on my games so my 3ds and nexus 7 stay at home except for the rare times I am spending a day at a relative or friends house. The vast majority are happy with simply connecting a controller to a tablet, but it would be nice to have controls built in, I WILL admit that is more comfortable 
Never wanted to be rude.

It's just my humor and people here are used to it :) .

Did you miss this?

It explains everything why I use it.

2x SD-card slot

Full USB

Big community

Open system

Big Battery

Clamshell design (important for me)

Is there any webside/picture that shows how you use your Android device with physical controls and can do multi tasking (switching between Office, browser and PDF reader)

It's no provocation. I really want to see it.

Back