Don't know why I even tried: TBoI on the Pandora

eyecreate

Website
git.eyecreate.org
After being surprised to find Gnash 0.8.10 played The Binding of Isaac on my laptop, I was curious how it'd play on the pandora. Well, as sadly expected of flash games, it didn't fare too well. I had to hold some buttons down for many seconds to even see on screen movement. (I even tried out the HW acceleration option for omap.) Here's a picture fo show.

http://i.imgur.com/EpYTB.png

Guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. My dual core android tablet suffered much even with that much more behind it. It was a fun little adventure for the Pandora, none the less.

Try it with the most recent Firefox in the repo. I believe it has the quasi-official flash plugin. It was significantly faster and more stable over gnash when I was testing it.

edit: this is to say it'll probably run better, but I still expect it to be painfully slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget it, Isaac is much too demanding for the Pandora, it even runs slow on my PC in some situations...

But anyway, nice to see it actually starts, this means some other, less demanding (or better coded), games should run fine. I commence the testing.

That was my conclusion, too. Works pretty good for animations, but interactive games are extremely rough.

I was surprised at the speed increase in the "official" flash player.(clocked to 800mhz) especially since I had trouble playing 720p webm videos in firefox..aka..they would slideshow. Empty rooms play only a bit slower than my dual core laptop. As soon as interactive content is displayed, the frames drop quickly. I would say you could brave things and play it this way, but it'd get frustrating. (especially without remapping controls too.)

I will say I noticed both gnash and flash on my pandora can a color issue where the rooms were a little off color.(see pic in OP) Wonder what is different that is causing that.

I found this thread while searching if anyone managed to get flash running properly for Binding of Isaac. I am disappointed.

Is it really that slow? Any chance of an optimized flash workaround for the game?

Binding of Isaac is one of those games that would be perfect for the Pandora :(

Given that Adobe has announced that they're halting development of the mobile version of their Flash player I can only guess that optimizations will not be forthcoming.

Back