Why I Will Not Be Getting A Pandora Now...

a200

Still Fresh
When it was time to put my money down to buy one of these devices I did, with the promise that I would get it at the end of 2008 - that never happened, my money was returned to me, and with the conversion rates of the Australian Dollar, less was put back into my account. Then I got an email asking me to transfer money to order it again... With the conversion rates back to Pounds I would lose even more money; so I decided to wait and see what would happen by January. Still no device, still no real updates on the official site.

So I guess I will not be buying it now. I think the people involved with the Pandora project have been very unprofessional - never take money off people to finance production runs... There will always be production problems, and in the end the customer will suffer. After all I lost about $35 Dollars in conversion and the device that was promised is still vapor ware.

All I wanted it for was to mess around with GL es 2.0 before any other devices had that capability... Well I've got news for you, there's at least 3 devices coming out soon with GL es 2.0 specs... SO I think I'll buy one of those instead!

you wouldnt lose money because of the rate if you reordered the day you got your refund. because they refunded £2xx and you should pay back £2xx

a200 said:
When it was time to put my money down to buy one of these devices I did, with the promise that I would get it at the end of 2008 - that never happened, my money was returned to me, and with the conversion rates of the Australian Dollar, less was put back into my account. Then I got an email asking me to transfer money to order it again... With the conversion rates back to Pounds I would lose even more money; so I decided to wait and see what would happen by January. Still no device, still no real updates on the official site.

So I guess I will not be buying it now. I think the people involved with the Pandora project have been very unprofessional - never take money off people to finance production runs... There will always be production problems, and in the end the customer will suffer. After all I lost about $35 Dollars in conversion and the device that was promised is still vapor ware.

All I wanted it for was to mess around with GL es 2.0 before any other devices had that capability... Well I've got news for you, there's at least 3 devices coming out soon with GL es 2.0 specs... SO I think I'll buy one of those instead!
Please name those 3 devices?

Regards

André

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you apparently know the risks of there being production run problems, perhaps taking that into account when ordering would have been a good idea.

a200, please explain how you will lose money by re-ordering? As Bosbeetle says you just have to give back the same amount you were refunded, even if that is less than the original price. You only lose money if you don't re-order.

I think, in his view, the Pandora is Vaporware and he very much wanted it to be real.

Like a cold dark stab really. Put yourselves in his shoes and try to honestly believe the device we have all waited a very long time for, won't be realized.

Yea, A200, you wouldn't lose even MORE money. You would lose some money, but definitely less than 35.

a200 said:

Careful, you are going to get jumped on by the 'faithful' who seem to ignore the basics of running a business and selling a product! Didn't you know? This isn't about buying a cool handheld machine, it's about joining a 'community' and you are just not allowed to say such things!!

Shame on you! ;)

I must admit, I'm close to this opinion too. No credit card protection? No comments from the team on all the crap going on at the moment? No order (and my £200 can go somewhere else!)

fettouhi said:
a200 said:

Regards

André

Palm Pre.
And two pre-production units that my work have in possession.

Believe me these devices will hit the market at the right time.

Also, I did lose out with conversion... The money that was put back into my account was less than what I gave for pre-orders... SO figure that out.

I will not be posting anymore... All I wanted to say was that I'm not happy. And it's my right to say so.

fettouhi said:
I can name 1 device that's been announced - namely the Palm Pre. I'm pretty sure there must be some devices using Tegra that will come out this year, but they must have slipped under my radar because I have not heard of any specific devices. So, we're looking for 2 more :D

Edit: Someone was faster than me ^_^

a200 said:

I'm not going to be a fanboi here, because I'm also very concerned about the Pandora becoming a reality due to the financial mess the world is in and the way banks are (not) handling it. But I would like to ask the following, just to be clear:

Which 3 (or more) devices are you talking about? I would be very interested in finding out, especially if the are nearer to completion or made by a large manufacturer, and contain the same featureset (aside from the OpenGL ES 2.0, that means at least touchscreen, gaming controls and a real keyboard in a useable form factor, WiFi and Bluetooth and USB Host - without those I'd find any such device rather uninteresting unless it had something substantially newer like a multicore Cortex-A9...)

Not trying to dismiss any options here, just trying to find out what else is out there that might be interesting...

EDIT: Oh, the Palm Pre... no gaming controls, no keyboard, and an exposed screen and no USB Host. No thanks, I'll pass. I already have a phone, and am looking for something to replace my GP2X and my laptop (so USB Host is a must-have).

Yigguth said:
Why I Will Not Be Getting A Pandora Now

Stopped reading there.

Grow up.
Learn to read the other side of the argument before you put your foot down and stand up for something which the OP has every right to be doubting.

a200 said:
Also, I did lose out with conversion... The money that was put back into my account was less than what I gave for pre-orders... SO figure that out.
Though if you wanted to re-pre-order you only had to repay the amount that you were *refunded*, not the amount that you originally paid for your pre-order.

pandora said:
Grow up.
Learn to read the other side of the argument before you put your foot down and stand up for something which the OP has every right to be doubting.
I'm not saying what he says isn't valid, I've just heard it all before and I'm tired of these types of threads.

Azure said:
a200 said:
Though if you wanted to re-pre-order you only had to repay the amount that you were *refunded*, not the amount that you originally paid for your pre-order.

+1

It has been stated numerous times that you will get your Pandora without spending more money on your pre-order.

IF your money refund was less, you simply pay that back and you get your pre-order unit.

(I know you are worried about it, but have you even called up the company and got it straightened out? Maybe ask somebody for help understanding the situation.)

Personally I am glad I didn't spend the money to pre-order, because I don't HAVE any money. If I did I probably would have spent it, but who knows now?

[/quote]
I'm not saying what he says isn't valid, I've just heard it all before and I'm tired of these types of threads.
[/quote]

Until the OP team stump up and actually SAY something about what's going on then this is all we can expect, and it is perfectly understandable I guess.

OK, gotcha :).
Although, 'these types of threads' just about balance out the praise ones - 'Just wanted to say thanks so much for..... blah babbety....bleh'

Actually I think the way this project is financed is actually very good in the financial turmoil. Why? The global banking system is insolvent, and financing a project front-up is the only way to get the money, people will not get loans from banks even when they have good ideas. The difference is that we have to trust the people doing the project with our money instead of banks. I trust this project way more than I trust my bank and I have good hope to see that shiny Pandora on my doormat sometime in feb or march!

The only problem is that in large projects many things that you do not take into account go wrong, especially when the entire business world is in chaos because of a crisis. Therefore it is very hard to make predictions, and what the team has done is given average estimates on milestones instead of the worst-of-worst case scenario that the world is in right now. I see no news as good news, that the team is working hard at making this amazing machine instead of browsing forums!

unfortunately some people may be swayed by the negativity in posts such as this

The OpenPandora is a small scale project and does not have the financial resources which the Nintendos/Microsoft/Sony's of this world have at their disposal..

It's currently small scale and will have the assoicated problems of any new start up enterprise, more so in the current economic climate

Many ideas have been floated around what the DEVS have said and not said for that matter.

I guess if there is any financial crisis then we will be informed and not mislead as per the Buy Now Free CD Pandora later approach.

Its weird though that aside from the DEVS that CHIP has not stated anything as he is the public voice of the project.

However I did pre-order, I will Wait as there is currently shit out in the market which will match the Pandora, and unless I will a packet on the Lottery and buy a Vaio P-Series, I'll just have to wait patiently for my Pandora ... albeit confused with recent transfers post ... negativity of Forum (resulting from Transfers thread) ... and more worryingly such activity going on and old Chip not speaking out .... Come Chip say something for the love of God to keep the peace

To be honest I think the company are getting better at dealing with people. They've been very helpful with my emails and i've now reordered with no problems.

I'm pretty glad they pushed through the economic crisis when other companies haven't taken the risk (Gizmondo) or are firing staff all over the place (Sony).

Back