Atom based Pandora v2?

What is wrong with Explorer? My mother loves that browser.
i blame this on you, if i can convince my mother to use firefox and my 11 year old sister to use chrome, the least you can do is get her off IE, im not saying take her off windows all together as thats a huge step for oder people, but the browser is a huge start

What is wrong with Explorer? My mother loves that browser.
It doesn't have Adblock. Also, I heard it has security holes.
I hear the same thing almost daily. Although I can't believe there is no adblock yet. For Microsoft Adblock must be like tabs, it might just take a while to catch on for them.

But boy oh boy when it does have adblock you'll hear a lot of MS fanboys talking about how genius Microsoft is for inventing it! Then again they'll only be repeating what Steve Ballmer said so don't be too hard on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where'd you read this? Atom is an ARM competitor. Intel wants you to believe that it's a universally superior option that, in its lowest power incarnations, is suitable for phones and other mobile devices. Including an ARM core on-die would be a complete contradiction of this market position and I doubt Intel would do that.

You guys are comparing netbook or nettop Atom solutions, Moorestown probably tends to draw around 2W or less so it's more in the same power class as the OMAP3 used in the Pandora. Unfortunately, it's a three chip solution (Lincroft + Langwell + PMIC instead of OMAP + TI PMIC/audio/whatever) and as far as I can tell there's no package on package support for stacking RAM on top of Lincroft, so it'll take up way more board area. And compared to the dual core Cortex-A9 SoCs available now (Tegra 2) and next year (OMAP4, Orion, U8500, and others) you probably won't see dual-core in the low power Atom cores (currently Lincroft in Moorestown and Pine Trail, then whatever they use in Cedar Trail/Cedar View). There's Hyperthreading instead, but that only does so much in comparison.

IMO an Atom Pandora would be an especially bad idea precisely because you'd lose software compatibility with the Pandora library and people would have to release dual binaries (or a dual mode binary format would have to be made I guess), and it'd be a much greater burden on the OP team to support both for their own software. You'd see a lot of things that'd be ARM Pandora only or x86 Pandora only because of strong ISA dependence in the code; lots of emulators will have ISA dependence for instance.

you are right I looked up the artical in question again and I found that while they talked that the FPGA they combined with the atom could be programed. I also read at same time about an atom based netbook with a removable tablet screen arm based... shouldn't drink and post I guess. How bout a 2.5 gh dual core arm chip that just taped out at 28nm?

Back