Why Are .pnd Files Not .box Files?

The Pandora's package format name should be...

• .pnd

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • .box

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • other

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

lulz -- yes, actually opening every file on the SD card to examine its contents, rather than depend on its filename, will be more efficient ;)

(Remember, its almost certainly a FAT filesystem on there ;)

jeff

I don't think anybody uses the .arc extension anymore, surely that makes more sense to explain an archive. But let's see, it's less about what's been used and more about covering all available extensions that would be better than PND (which I personally see nothing wrong with, however I must say .box would have been good as well).
How about,
.FAT (Files All Together)
.PIT (Pithos or Pandora's Jar)
.PYX (Pyxis (box) the incorrect translation of Pithos by Erasmus)
.PAN (for just plain Pandora)
.DHF (Dependancy Hell Free)
.FUX (For Use with X)
.SEX (Sorta Everything miXed)
.WTF (Woven Together Files)
.CUP (Convenient Unified Program or Program files)

I mean one could probably go on all day...PND is fine. Anything would be as long as it works! but now that I've thought of it. I want .WTF files
lol

This discussion seriously beats the keyboard layout one in bikeshedness!
Also guys, we're talking about Linux and file extensions, come on...

Dragons_Slayer said:
I like .pnd more, .box could be anything but in my opinion when you see .pnd you know it has something to do with PaNDora.

I agree with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was really hard for me to decide between the two...
PND was nice but there's just something about a Pandora being able to open a BOX file :rolleyes:

I think this could work really well for some marketing allusions...

"Pandora: What BOX will you open?"

I'm in favor of ".Pandora XML-annotated application archive". Yes, with spaces. It's time we finally rid ourselves of the "file extensions with spaces are unintuitive" notion.

I mean, look at it like this: You see the following files in your file manager:

- Quake 5.pnd
- Quake 5.box
- Quake 5.Pandora XML-annotated application archive

Which one makes sure you know what's inside? The first one could contain a Panda. Or a pound of something. The second one could be any kind of box. The third one can only contain an XML-annotated application archive for the Pandora.

".Pandora XML-annotated application archive" is the only logical choice.

I'm ROFLing in the rain.... :lol:

Seriously, I vote for *.pnd. Because it's short, almost-unique, intuitive, directly related to the name of the device...

j6cubic said:
I'm in favor of ".Pandora XML-annotated application archive". Yes, with spaces. It's time we finally rid ourselves of the "file extensions with spaces are unintuitive" notion.

I mean, look at it like this: You see the following files in your file manager:

- Quake 5.pnd
- Quake 5.box
- Quake 5.Pandora XML-annotated application archive

Which one makes sure you know what's inside? The first one could contain a Panda. Or a pound of something. The second one could be any kind of box. The third one can only contain an XML-annotated application archive for the Pandora.

".Pandora XML-annotated application archive" is the only logical choice.

haha +1

atomicthumbs said:
How abot .dog becaus you can put dogs in box and its like a puppy in box and you takt them somewhere
How about .shit because sometimes puppies leaves hists on your capret and you have to tell them not to but sometimes it's an accident.

it doesn't have to be a three-char extension does it? How about just .pandora?

Tensuke said:
Pandora has ASCII support, right? How about .‡? Or .■?
Pshh. We go full Unicode: .ʼ̊̈̽̃̚͡ʻ̴̥̬̤̰̪̺̻̹̜̠̘̙̞͓͔͕͖̇̆̋́̄̀̂̑͐͑͒

(That's all combining glyphs I could find at the moment. There are still more but I'm too lazy to find them all.)

MDave said:
Pleng said:

I was just about to ask the same thing. 3 letter acronym extension names are old fashioned. :p

+1 for .pandora
You sir, are going love that on 4.3" screen, while looking at a list, which happens irrationally full of those damned conformist three letter extensions.
--;

1. .box is fine, but
2. .pnd is already fine, and
3. .pandora is not
4. Community input is a nice thing but this thread sucks.

Tensuke said:
Pandora has ASCII support, right? How about .‡? Or .■?
Except for none of those chars being in ASCII, yeah, we have ASCII, also we have UTF-8 like any sensible system. On a positive note, UTF-8 encompasses all UNICODE characters and retains backwards compatibility with ASCII.

dflemstr said:
There is already a BOX package format so that name could not have been chosen. Your arguments are invalid ;)

Just use the windows way of doing things.

Use whatever the hell you want. As long as you're the first for your given OS, you're in the clear.

WizardStan said:
.box is a bad extension anyway. Pandora didn't have a box, that was a mistranslation. It was a jar. I propose we use the .jar extension! No one could possibly be using that, right?

Them's fightin' words! :p

fiori_musicali said:
1. .box is fine, but
2. .pnd is already fine, and
3. .pandora is not
4. Community input is a nice thing but this thread sucks.

I agree.

Although I would like to toss Pandorapp into the fold, just because. ;)

The easy solution to avoid actual decision would be to allow both!

El Jefe said:
MDave said:
Pleng said:

I was just about to ask the same thing. 3 letter acronym extension names are old fashioned. :p

+1 for .pandora
You sir, are going love that on 4.3" screen, while looking at a list, which happens irrationally full of those damned conformist three letter extensions.
--;

But you're not really going to be viewing the .pandora files on the 4.3 screen, are you? I mean you'll only have anything to do with them when connecting to a computer. On the Pandora they'll just appear as directories, won't they?

Back