Why Are .pnd Files Not .box Files?

The Pandora's package format name should be...

• .pnd

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • .box

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • other

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Shadowcat

Still Fresh
Seriously... it's a package format for Pandora! How can it possibly not be called .box ?

.elpis would make a lot more sense IMHO.
Just think about it: elpis (software, the good hope) would come from the box (app store) and return to pandora (the actual console)

I couldn't care less about all this stuff.. if it works fine, why bother about the name? PND does atleast reveal a tiny bit what its meant to be used for while .box wouldn't give you the slightest idea.

The file is a container. What is more container-like, "BOX" or "PND"?

Come on, just admit it, you libPND dev guys are just embarrassed that you didn't go with BOX in the first place? Its an *excellent* file extension for the Pandora game container format, whereas PND is .. mediocre.

Cute thread, anyway.

torpor said:

Come on, just admit it, you libPND dev guys are just embarrassed that you didn't go with BOX in the first place? Its an *excellent* file extension for the Pandora game container format, whereas PND is .. mediocre.

Cute thread, anyway.

There is already a BOX package format so that name could not have been chosen. Your arguments are invalid ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
torpor said:

Cute thread, anyway.

There is already a BOX package format so that name could not have been chosen. Your arguments are invalid ;)

windmill_beard.jpg

There is already a BOX package format so that name could not have been chosen. Your arguments are invalid

Really, there is a BOX format already? I guess I'll have to learn more about that ..

This is the most silly vote I've seen lately :)

Maybe we should call them .pnd_files_are_basically_archives_so_you_could_also_call_then_box

You know, we'd have to put up a "wet paint" sign, and it's not like the bike shed is a worse place to store your bike just because it's pink or shit-brown. I mean, does your bike give a damn? No.

Internally the (simple linked list) container is called "box" too, but yeah.. "box" files are old school email files, where mbox came around and whipped it. I think elm originaly used box? Been too long.

Tempting though :)

jeff

Ah, thats right .. now I remember, old-school mail .. elm .. how I miss elm ..

Well, I still like the idea of reviving the .BOX extension. Anyone for a mutiny/uprising to get this DONE?!

:)

I like .pnd more, .box could be anything but in my opinion when you see .pnd you know it has something to do with PaNDora.

Hmm, looks like a couple programs (irrelevent ones) use pnd too, so well, every 3 letter acronym is taken.

I like pnd, but I'm not philisophically against changing it :p Make it your daily silly poll!

jeff

.box is a bad extension anyway. Pandora didn't have a box, that was a mistranslation. It was a jar. I propose we use the .jar extension! No one could possibly be using that, right?

WizardStan said:
.box is a bad extension anyway. Pandora didn't have a box, that was a mistranslation. It was a jar. I propose we use the .jar extension! No one could possibly be using that, right?
No one important, anyway!
Or maybe we could make some kind of system that doesn't rely on file extensions, that way it won't matter if .pnd is used by someone else...

Back