Who Wants To Connect A Snes Controler To The Gp2x

lucoxade

SCOURGE!
Website
www.scourge.co.uk
I came across a schematic and source code to convert the serial output from a SNES controller to RS232 which will be ideal when the TV adapter becomes available because the SNES controller has nearly all the same buttons as the GP2X, and if we can hook up two controllers (i dont see why not) then you have double the fun!!

A couple of points to consider,
1. I am assuming that the UARTs on the GP2X are RS232
2. The schematic requires a PIC microcontroller to be programmed as part of the circuit, so this project won't be available to everyone. I no longer have access to a PIC programmer so I will have to leave this to someone who has one :( I have all the asm and hex to get it working though
3. The PIC and SNES controller require 5v to operate, figure this one out yourself
4. The TV out will cover up the UARTs on the EXT. port so a custom adapter will be needed

I left the files on my work computer so I will won't be able to host them until monday, hopefully I will have my GP2X by then. So youve got a few days think about how cool it will be to have a handheld which is also not a handheld B)

Hopefully someone will pick up this idea and mass produce them on small scale (if GPH don't do something similar **prays**) and sell them cheap, heres hoping.

If its ever possible to hook up any 2 controllers easily (USB/SNES anything), I can tell you, my trousers will become stained very quickly! Portable multiTVconsole!

The Xbox 360 controllor work on USB...I went to Best Buy the other day and they were selling 360 controllors...you can use them as a mouse or a gaming pad on XP (<3 Micro$oft) Too bad the usb port on the 2X isnt powered.....that would of rocked...the Linux OS together.....with it's rival the overlord Microsoft, ruling in harmony..ahh...such a dream will never EVER happen.

I really have no idea how the tech side of USB works but, if you use a powered hub, and plug the controllers into it would that now work somehow? I know 2Xs USB is slave only, but surely that could be changed in firmware or something....

....or am I talking out my ass? :p

Isn't the GP2X based on the Magic-I chipset, which is a System On Chip, and which comes with USB host adapter? If so, there are HID "drivers" for Linux, and it should be possible to get the Super SmartJoy SNES2USB to work. It works under Linux right out of the box if HID is setup... if the USB port on the outside of the GP2X is not the 'host' port, maybe it is still available on the mainboard?

Funny to see this thread, i just built a new SNES to parallel adapter. I made one about 8 years ago also, but i needed a decent controller to play Dracula X: Rondo of Blood with :)

The circuitry in controllers are extremely simplistic. It will be easy once more is know about interfacing with the GP2x serial port.

EDIT: though like Donji mentioned about the usb adapters, those are cheap also.
So whats it gonna be? serial port? USB? im sure both methods are possible, and both with require an external power source. SNES pads use 5v.

yes, a great idea! Would be really cool to connect a snes controller to the gp2x (or even two).

i would concentrate on the rs232 as any sort of usb functionality imo isnt going to happen, but i would love to be proved wrong.

Power shouldnt really be an issue. I am sure you could s tore batteries inside the snes controller (Which would make them feel a bit heavier, but its probably better than an external power source).

the gp2x has the same buttons as a snes pad anyway :huh:

and if you're gonna use it for tv out just use a real snes ;)

i guess it opens up two player gaming for other games if we got two working tho

and if you're gonna use it for tv out just use a real snes ;)

If the SNES could emulate all the systems the GP2X could then i would !!!

Connecting another controller to the GP2X would be brilliant. Some people tried connecting a PSX controller to a Pocket PC but i'm unsure what happened to that in the end, took about a year to release it.

I could quite happily use the GP2X as a 'mini console' running lots of emulators, hook it up to the TV then connect a gamepad to it. Saves the buttons on the GP2X then.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, hooking up controllers on the 2x would make it a mini homebrew xbox :p what's the usb host status? the controller would need power, right?

Well, the TV-Out uses the EXT-Port, so you can't use both the snes-controller and the TV-Out on it, which makes it kinda useless.

what's the usb host status? the controller would need power, right?

it doesn't support usb-host at all

GP2X have no USB host because it has separate USB 2.0 slave hardware so unless you open it up and remove that chip and connect the Magic chipset directly to the USB port you won't ever get USB host in it. If anyone can find a SDIO card with USB host then it may be possible.

Well, the TV-Out uses the EXT-Port, so you can't use both the snes-controller and the TV-Out on it, which makes it kinda useless.

Well maybe if the TV out doesn't use all pins there could be a in between adaptor?

Anyways, if there will be ever anything like this (2 or more controllers AND tv out the same time), I will surly buy it. Actually I was really disapointed by the fact that it can't be done with a powered USB hub, like it was originally thought :( So yeah please make something like that ;)

If you want to play 2-player SNES games on a TV, go to your local used game shop and buy a SNES for $10 (USD) and the games you want to play (~$3 each USD). The SNES is fairly portable. :)

If you want to play 2-player SNES games on a TV, go to your local used game shop and buy a SNES for $10 (USD) and the games you want to play (~$3 each USD). The SNES is fairly portable. :)

Hey, you're right! I'm thinking of cancelling my GP2X order now ... ;)

If you want to play 2-player SNES games on a TV, go to your local used game shop and buy a SNES for $10 (USD) and the games you want to play (~$3 each USD).  The SNES is fairly portable. :)
lol.. well.. some games are $3 each, but a copy of chrono trigger still runs about 100 quid on ebay.. $50 for the US version. (yes yes, psx version, maybe that was a bad example, as i think you were talking 2 player... but many games are still hard to come by) secret of mana is 2 player (or can be) and it still sells for 50-150

cost aside(as thats not really an exuse), many games arnt available for the US/european market, and have had translations made (which you cant get on a cart.. anywhere)
EDIT: dont comment on the prices i gave.. i just did a quick ebay search. it doesnt matter if 'oh, i got a copy for 20 euro last year' .. its just for an example point

Back