Who Still Uses Their Gp32?

Do you still use your GP32?

• No. I don't own a GP32.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • No. I have a GP32 but it's not usable.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No. Though I do have a working GP32.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

I was an early adopter with the GP32, I bought it very early on from Craigx. Sadly it doesn't overclock above something like 153Mhz and becomes very unstable and hangs if I try. Didn't dare do the pencil trick.
Loved the emulators and the homebrew coming out. Loved Rleyh's batch of emulators coming out - I still think some of his gems are 'for a few eyes only' as they never were officially released or perhaps even only to fellow-developers.
I actually bought a BLU unit from Craigx very late in the GP32 life cycle just because I didn't want to miss out on the true GP32 splendor - and they were offered at 166Mhz guaranteed - and that was very very important for solid emulation.
I always bring it with me on vacation. I do have a 1st edition Gp2x that now sits in a cradle connected to the TV and the F200 I got now also comes with me on vacation if I don't bring the GP32. The joystick of the GP32 is just miles better than the 1st edition gp2x 'thing' and the '4 separate' f200 gp2x thing. This is what 'breaks' the Wizz for me - the fact that finally a real nintendo-style thumbpad is in place but they opted for that wierd 4 button thing resembling the other thumbpad. Ah well. May still want to get a Wizz by the way. And of course I pre-ordered the Pandora as well....

Funny, I have owned 3 GP32s (First one from april 03), And still have them all, And not once have i ever had the joystick problem that i have heard people mention.

Trooper

Greetings, as I have not been here in a while....

Still use mine from time to time for DRMD, Mame, SMS, NES, PC Engine, Doom+ Wads. Flawless for those Emu's, etc.

Does anyone know if Duke Nukem 3D was ever updated with saves?

Still runs flawlessly at 180mhz after the old pencil trick LOL

Posted elsewhere asking about the new Wiz and Dingoo, just spotted them on ebay, had no idea anything new was out. Guess I have been pre occupied for a while...

Steve.

I got a SMC adapter to XD, but I can't bloody find XD's anywhere :) I orderded one form DX but its been like 3-4 months and no ship yet...

I need to find one so I can see if this damned SMC adapter works :)

jeff

I recently found mine again ( old original NLU! - though it has a chip in the screen due to accidentally dropping a pair of scissors on it a few years ago.. I do have a replacement screen, just haven't fitted it as it's not really that noticable. )

Also found my two 64mb SMCs and my card reader, so might see if I can get anything to compile on it, hehe.. would be nice if I can get my engine to "just work" on it, for I fear that the overheads of Lua and SDL may kill the poor thing.

skeezix said:
I got a SMC adapter to XD, but I can't bloody find XD's anywhere :) I orderded one form DX but its been like 3-4 months and no ship yet...

I need to find one so I can see if this damned SMC adapter works :)

jeff

Hi skeezix,

Being from the UK, I`m not too sure what you would class as a good price on something as old and rare as a 128MB XD Card.

But i have had a look around Google.com, And found two places (there are probably many more) that are selling them for a pretty good price considering, And actually have them in stock.

128MB XD Card $19.00 + Free shipping.

128MB XD Card $16.85 + Free shipping.

Hope this helps skeezix.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Anymore old-timer stories of digging out your beloved GP32?

I've found I've had a hankering from some Atari 2600 action on the GP32, but have found that the existing emulators aren't very satisfactory.
Anyone interested in some Atari 2600 action for the GP32?

Definitely slaanesh - atari 2600 my first console way back in early 80's as a kid - loved it to bits :)

I have 3 gp32's - nlu, flu and blu - pulled them out recently, impressed by the big screen, and DrMD was really very impressive. The flu won't fire up, but the 2 others do. Nice joystick, love the clicking!

Cheers
Simon

I still pull out my GP32 sometimes. But the poor thing isn't in its best condition, I tried the pencil mod and must have been a bit too liberal as the CPU actually maxes out a bit lower, and I get strange lines on the screen, where it's always bright. It still works, but DrMD isn't so great at 144Mhz.

Ha! Just found this topic (several MONTHS later!) I still use and love my FLU. It works well, all things considered (though whenever I try to save states, it just hangs.. and several roms are having trouble being read..etc)

I actually never graduated to another machine other than GBA Micro (soooo small and I love the NES emulator on it) and just recently the iPhone (for development). Otherwise I will likely get some more powerful machine, someday. I still get a kick out of being the only person in the world I know who has (and uses) one of these things..!

Would love to see more advanced 2600 emulator!

I sprayed my BLU unit black a while ago, and yep I still use it now and again as there's some cute games on it that I really love :rolleyes:

Personally I love retro gaming, and the BLU just feels very Retro'ish. My boyfriend and I even play games on the ZX-Spectrum, he's found a utility to convert snapshot files into hyperloading WAVs, which means we can plug a real spectrum into a PC and load Jetpac in about 40 seconds, amazing!

ralp99 said:
Would love to see more advanced 2600 emulator!
You're wish is my command! The last month I have been working on a fullspeed Atari 2600 emulator - which is almost ready for the GP32 and to be released soon.

It runs most games very fast - it's been optimized for speed but is still highly compatible. River Raid runs at 60FPS with no frame skip. Most other games too. Only some are slower than fullspeed, David's Midnight Magic is one. Pitfall II isn't supported either, but other than that just about everything works fine.
I achieved this by taking the fastest bits of Virtual VCS and the goodness of Stella.

I've also been working at optimizing MAME4ALL further and managed to squeeze some more speed and much clearer sound from the GP32. Release v1.1 of this coming soon.

Check http://www.slaaanesh.net/ for updates soon.

It's funny of all the consoles I have, I love the GP32 the most. I wonder if the Pandora will de-throne it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from a visit home to New Zealand. While there I grabbed my old GP32 (blu+) from a friend I'd mailed it to when I got my GP2X.

I've never really clicked (pun intended) with the GP2X - that microswitched stick on the GP32 has in my opinion never been outdone.

So I swapped the GP2X for the old GP32, and in the few days I've been back I'm bloody glad I did. It's just sublime.

Ok it's not as fast, but it controls so beautifully that it's perfect. And I love that it boots in about a second, and uses regular AAs.

Now I've got a reader coming from Amazon, and a backup card. Gotta get 'em while they're still available.

With Slaanesh continuing to support this great little unit I'm sure I'll get many years worth of pleasure from it. And I'll never part with it again!

Back