Who Else Owns An Olympus M:robe100...

___

Advanced Member
Okay, I would like to know if anyone else in the community owns an olympus m:robe100 music player and is sick and tired of the shitty firmware and software for it.

There is a big chance, that rockbox might be ported to it. We need developers and people who would like to contribute and test the software. It's getting ridiculous, as the mrobe.org community which is like the only homebrew scene for the m:robe is pretty chaotic and doesn't get anywhere! I am so pissed at olympus that I decided to take it into my own hands and finally start that rockbox porting project.

The chipset in the m:robe100 that is used for playback is the same as in some ipod models already supported by rockbox. Now we need someone smart who can hack around a little and get the display drivers right, aswell as hack a small control scheme together. A lot of work was already done for the port and there is a few people who are still interested. I am sure this can be done if the m:robe homebrew devs just pull their act together. If anyone wants to join the struggle :p feel free to do so, I would very be grateful.

mrobe.org topic link

let's get this thing rolling!!!

well the biggest problem is that you have to use their software to get mp3s onto it. The software "m:trip" is terribly buggy and slow, discontinued and on top of that converts all the mp3s that you upload to your mrobe. They will receive new filenames, consisting of numbercodes, and it will create an xml file that is used as a database for accessing your music. That means you NEED to use their software under any circumstances, which is obviously only windows compatible. Also M:trip is horrifyingly slow with bigger collections of music, making it absolutely useless. Also there is not possibility to delete your songs from the mrobe unless you want to use the sync feature all the time (terribly complicated) or you want to mess around with the filesystem on the mrobe (which might result in it needing to be reflashed)...

So yeah... the player is really nice, the quality of playback is great, it looks really neat and is nicely slim.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Good luck with the project,I hope it works out.
Why companies keep making firmware like that is beyond me. They would sell tons more players if people could put the music on however they like.
The thing is, the majority of clients are uneducated on this aspect, and are willing to put up with whatever bullshit they're fed into buying. What upsets me though is the small mindedness of such companies, who think they can impose their own standard (via software) for how one uses their products. The fact that people keep buying their products probably doesn't help hehe ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i know, hey? isn't it the worst? That's exactly why I almost threw my fucking vodafone v710 cell out of the window when I noticed that these brainwave depleted monkeys locked the phone's java capabilities, but included a program to upload java code over usb... meaning you would upload something and it would tell you that it wasn't signed code you uploaded... well it got stolen. I am not sad about that...

Anyways, I whipped up a little postnuke cms and forum. If anyone is interested, please take a look and register. I would be glad to have a few people join. I also need moderators for the forums... yeah. erm. right...

the theme colours are still quite mingy but that's alright for a quick install. I will change them in the next days when I've got some free time on my hands.

EDIT: lol... forgot the link: M:robe City

Back