Who Do I Gotta Pay For Mpg Support? :)

Honestly, NOT having to convert my existing VCD/SVCD/MPG files for playback on a portable was the #1 reason I chose a GP2x over, say, a PSP.

I'm sure someone somewhere is working on getting us MPG playback ... however, this is something I want bad enough to PAY for.

I'm sure others share my feelings (maybe not - I have a lot of Xvid stuff, but I have even MORE legacy MPG stuff I'd like to play) but I'd like to start a thread.

I'm not a good enough developer to do this on my own, so I appeal to other developers. :)

Also, I notice that PSP formatted videos (which should be standard MPG4 - but obviously aren't) won't play either. With the sheer amount of videos kicking around online in PSP format, it would ROCK to be able to play those too.

Anyway, I'm not complaining - Frodo is keeping me busy - but I'd LOVE to see MPG support in here soon!

mpeg sohuld be there soon, it only seems to be a container problem, when you copy the mpeg in a avi container its supposed to work.
you can do that wih mencoder in.mpeg -ovc copy -oac copy -o out.avi , should only take a vew minutes, depending on hdd speed.

And as you might know the official release got delayed to jan 06. until then most bugs should be fixed.

What I want more then mpeg support, is mpeg-4. It is supposed to work, but no one seems to care about it/ has never tried it. (oh yeah and of course h.264).
You can just re-encode your files and they will take up a lot less space (yeah I know, we hate re-encoding), but moving your files to a more up to date standerd is not such a bad idea.

i just got a notification that mines shipping - ordered november 12th from gp32z -

But besides that little nugget of info,

i would definately pay someone for thier effort to make mpg avi and all the other codecs alot better, and even add some. think about how many others would pay too. - the fellow that does it wouldn't be broke :lol:

wf.

mpeg sohuld be there soon, it only seems to be a container problem, when you copy the mpeg in a avi container its supposed to work.
you can do that wih mencoder in.mpeg -ovc copy -oac copy -o out.avi , should only take a vew minutes, depending on hdd speed.

And as you might know the official release got delayed to jan 06. until then most bugs should be fixed.
I do realize we are dealing with "early adopter" issues which is why I'm hardly upset about things. I'm a patient man.

As for the container, is this a Windows CLI tool, this mencoder? Is there a front end? (I'm an old Amiga CLI dude, I'm not afraid, but most front ends have batch conversion which is very pleasing to me)

As long as its fast, easy, and batchable, that will do me until we get official support (again, I'll PAY for the MPG license - its WORTH IT to me - and I'm sure that's one of the big hold ups right now).

The other way to do it is to offer us an upgrade that has everything BUT the main DLL (or whatever) and leave it up to the end user to 'find' and 'use' that DLL. This is how early DVD copiers got away with CSS decryption (man, what a nightmare) - you pay $50 for free software, then they make you go to somesite.cn to download the 'plugin' to make it actually work. Classic, but if it gets me MPG support, I'm down with it :)

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by a moderator:
I attempted the container method with two SVCD music videos and neither one would play (Error: Unsupported File).

Perhaps I've done something wrong - but it doesn't appear to work as expected.

hm, damn, iam sure i heard it works.
Try changeing the fourcc type to divx or something, you can do that with for example "nic's fourcc changer"
ok, dosnt seem to work for me, i try to find a good solution.

I even attempted to use AutoGK to convert to XVid (Divx leaves a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth ... long story ... but suffice to say, I'll never support the format - Xvid owns) without luck - playback is horrible.

Sigh ... I would LOVE to drop a ton of music videos on this thing ...

it seems like the only thing it decodes at the moment is mpeg4 based/ffmpeg, mpeg12 dosnt seem to be included yet.

VirtualDub is fine, but AutoGK is THE BOMB ...

Thanks for looking into the container deal for me. :) I guess I'll be patient.

Back