White Screen?

ridgekuhn

Still Fresh
Hey guys,

Just got my GP2x F200 today, turned it on and played one of the onboard games, then turned it off. Good times. A couple hours later I put my newly formatted FAT32 SD card in it (SanDisk 2GB), turned it on, and...white screen. After crawling over some forums, I tried using a few different kinds of batteries including some fresh Energizer 2500mAh rechargeables, and still nothing but a white screen. I get a startup sound, and the power LED light is on (though on one set of batteries the LED turned off, but the screen stayed on). Do I have a brick already, just from putting the SD card in?

Sucks, I almost wish it had just white screened me the first time I turned it on instead of getting teased by getting to play it for a few minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah, they sure were. The rechargeables was at a friend's house earlier, he pulled them straight out of the charger fully charged and handed them to me. I'm at home now, and just popped in some brand new regular Duracells. Still got a startup sound with a white screen. From most of the posts I've read, if it's bricked I should also see a few vertical lines pop into view eventually, but I haven't seen those yet. Talk about frustrating!

Do you have a local Radio Shack? Try an adaptor, and if it doesn't work on AC then you probably have a hardware fault... GPH makes mistakes too, send it back to the store and get a new one.
~Lineus

Woah! Good thing you said that. From looking around I see I should get a 3.3V 2.0A adapter, right? Should it be tip positive or tip negative?

Tip negative,

Another possible problem could be a dodgy connection to the '2x LCD.
Since you get the startup sound im guessing that the bootloader at least loads up.

You could test this by putting an mp3 file in the *ROOT* of your SD card with *NOTHING* else on there and try to get the '2x to play the file..

Start up the machine..
wait for at least 30 seconds (35 just to be sure)..
press (on the stick/d-pad) {right} {right}
{B} (half second pause)
{B} (half second pause)
{B}
Press the volume UP button a few times just to make sure..

If the mp3 file plays you could have a dodgy LCD connection...
If not then it could be some other hardware fault..

Hope it helps..

Aaron.

Thanks for your help too, Aaron! Unfortunately, nothing. I was really hoping to hear some AC/DC off of it, too. Tried it a few times. A friend of mine dropped by earlier...

"Oh I heard about this thing, doesn't it play movies and emulators and stuff?"
"No, it just shows you a white screen."

Ha ha, at least I got to make a joke out of it. :p

ridgekuhn said:
Yeah, they sure were. The rechargeables was at a friend's house earlier, he pulled them straight out of the charger fully charged and handed them to me. I'm at home now, and just popped in some brand new regular Duracells. Still got a startup sound with a white screen. From most of the posts I've read, if it's bricked I should also see a few vertical lines pop into view eventually, but I haven't seen those yet. Talk about frustrating!
Regular batteries, Standard or alkaline do not have enough oomph to power the GP2x for much more than a few minutes, If you are very lucky, You may get 1/2 an hour tops.

Honestly, Get yourself some good quality rechargables (2500 mAh+) and a good charger, Your GP2x will thank you for it

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea! an Acca Dacca fan!

On ya mate ;)

I honestly thought that i could run my '2x purely on alkaline batteries when i first bought it, i got about 10 minutes from a pair of *new* duracells :p Good thing i got the value pack (yes, i know its a rip off but i didnt have to pay for it ;)) it came with 4 rechargables, which have since moved on to a better place :p

Hey guys, thanks so much for all your help! I ended up just sending it back. This is a sweet community and I'll definitely be hanging around here more after I get a working one and start learning more about it. Thanks again!

Back