Just Got Gp2x And Got Questions

craig1234564

Still Fresh
gp2x just arrived, i dont have an sd card but only a xd card from my digital camera.

is it possible to use gp2x without a card?

i put some batteries into it and switched on, a sound and then gp2x screen appeared, then the screen went scrambled and then turned white, then nothing.

there was a cd with iy that contains files , do i need to transfer these onto the gp2x in order for it to work??

you are probably using crappy batteries. Get some NiMH rechargeable ones (at least 2100 mAh rated, I recomment 2500+) Energizers work good and you can get them at Best Buy or walmart with a charger.

Throw the CD away, it's pretty much useless.

Browse the forums to get a feel for everything, I'm assuming you already have since you decided to purchase a gp2x.

Download and read the gp2x user guide http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,933 it explains a lot.

http://archive.gp2x.de is the best place to download emulators

congrats!

thankyou for the swift reply! yes it probably is the batteries , i found these and dont think they have much charge left anyway.

so is it possible to use gp2x without a card?

thankyou for the swift reply! yes it probably is the batteries , i found these and dont think they have much charge left anyway.

so is it possible to use gp2x without a card?
If you've got firmware version 2, yes you can play the demo of Vektra. But that would be about it.
Without an SD card you can't do a great deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
are sd cards available in a camera shop? and is it easy to format them to FAT32 in windows?

You should be able to find them in camera shops, they are pretty standard. To format them to FAT32 in windows, you right click on gp2x icon (or however the SD card shows up) under the "my computer" screen and select format. You then select what you want to call the card and select FAT32 as the format type and then click format (or whatever the button is at the bottom left, i'm on linux right now so i can't check) and it should format it for you.

are sd cards available in a camera shop? and is it easy to format them to FAT32 in windows?

Yes, unfortunately the cost is about 33% higher than an online store, and you will likely get a slow crappy card unless you pay nearly double the online prices.

See Newegg.com for great prices, Link to 1GB SD cards.

Notice the 1GB Transcend 80x for $24.49, I am not sure of your budget but I think that is awesome, for comparison Wal-Mart charges double? (haven't checked lately) for no-name super slow cards.

If you have the bank I would go for one of the 2GB or 4GB cards 100x or faster. A-Data(cheapo) and Transcend 150x 2GB SD for $46.99

I would buy here if you are in the States, I don't know of any in Europe/UK maybe members in those countries know a reputable shop with good prices :).

Edit, if you are well-heeled see these 4GB cards, 4GB A-Data for $85.99
I don't know of another deal that good, ebay at times, but try RMA on an eBay purchase, not worth the headache.

Buy wherever you want, just don't let anybody scam you, know the current market value of the SD cards, not the value the store needs to sell them at to make its margins.

I totally spaced on the SD Card Reader, you NEED one, get a cheapo ($7-12) with your card if you haven't got one, check your PC or laptop, most newer ones come with readers built-in.

See the forums, many people have the information on formatting and it isn't difficult to do, the card usually works right out of the box though.

You should be able to find them in camera shops, they are pretty standard. To format them to FAT32 in windows, you right click on gp2x icon (or however the SD card shows up) under the "my computer" screen and select format. You then select what you want to call the card and select FAT32 as the format type and then click format (or whatever the button is at the bottom left, i'm on linux right now so i can't check) and it should format it for you.

thankyou i have formatted a 1 GB sd card

I have managed to get some photos and music to work on the gp2x and have some more questions

when you manage files on the sd card is the point of creating folders just so you remember which kind of files they all are when you access them on gp2x?

i have created a folder named 'games

ok i want to try a specrum game , can you recommend an emulator?, do you just place the emulator and any games all in one folder or how does it work?

Back