Which Handheld Emulates Best? Want To Play Snes Games

OldSchoolShawnyMac

Still Fresh
OK, so I'm a total noob when it comes to emualtors, ROMS, flash cards, etc, etc...I currently have a DS and have not tried to emulate anything just yet. But I have read many different things that say it does not really emulate games that well at all. So out of the following which would be the best place to spend my dough? I'm not really looking for homebrew or any of that stuff. I'm really just looking to play some old school games. Thanks.

Nintendo DS
PSP
GP2X
GP2X Wiz
Pandora?

Go for Pandora if you also want to play fully working Playstation (of course also SNES, but already the "old" GP2x can do that fine enough)
Sega Genesis, NeoGeo, MAME, .... etc all these are things that the GP2x can do well enough. But if you want to be "ready for the future" I'd definitely getting a Pandora when it gets out (or via pre-order). The Wiz has a pretty damn small screen, I don't know if you'd like that.

If you just want 8-16bit (and some 32bit) emulation the GP2X gives the best bang for buck, Wiz is GP2X but smaller, faster, better.

Pandora is overkill, DS is limited, PSP I dunno...

coldfis said:
If you just want 8-16bit (and some 32bit) emulation the GP2X gives the best bang for buck, Wiz is GP2X but smaller, faster, better.

Pandora is overkill, DS is limited, PSP I dunno...

I agree! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would define q the quality of emulation as
q=a/c*((f+m+s)^(d*u/e)-1)
where
f=speed of the machine
m=memory size
s=screen size
u=size of the user community
d=size of the developer base
e=ease of use: close to zero for opensource, infinity for closed firmware, something in between for hacked firmware etc
a=1 or 0 depending whether it is actually available...
c= cost
so probably GP2X comes on top at the moment..

sepulep said:
e=ease of use: close to zero for opensource, infinity for closed firmware, something in between for hacked firmware etc
Nice definition but I think that middle between X and Y is X+Y/2 and (0+oo)/2 = oo

So if it is hacked it is the same as opensource but any way nice maths

Well as i have stated before I really just want to play SNES games on a handheld. Mostly because I hardly have time to sit around a TV and play my games anymore. I had even thought about just going out and making my own portable SNES from spare parts and such. Problem with that is it won't be able to play Japanese imports. And I'm a big fan of some obscure JAP titles. So I guess GP2X would be the way to go. I probably still might try my hand at making a portable SNES system just for nostalgia purposes.

sepulep said:
I would define q the quality of emulation as
q=a/c*((f+m+s)^(d*u/e)-1)
where
f=speed of the machine
m=memory size
s=screen size
u=size of the user community
d=size of the developer base
a=1 or 0 depending whether it is actually available...
c= cost
so probably GP2X comes on top at the moment..

For the GP2X, a=0 so that would mean q=0, which is absolutely not true :D.
I'm assuming a is for new units, because every device that's ever been sold will be sold used one way or the other, so in that case a would always be 1.

Back