Which distro

aTc

Very Active Member
Although everyone seems to assume debian is already decided on, we're still at a stage where we can choose something different.

Even if we do go for debian, there are three different versions of it that we can choose from.

- Stable

Slightly outdated packages, but very solid.

Problem here is that you might want to use something more up to date, for example, it has xfce4.8, and no sign of qt5.

- Unstable

Not really recommended to use that on anything that's supposed to reliably work.

- Testing

Basically everything that survives in unstable for a week or two. and doesn't cause any major breakage.

We could however, also go for ubuntu.

Don't panic, that doesn't mean you have to use unity, or any of the other ubuntu insanities.

It'll work the same way as if we were using debian, just with a more stable source of up to date packages (and the new lts 14.04 version is only.. 2 months away :)

Think more of something like xubuntu/kubuntu than the default ubuntu desktop.

Another advantage ubuntu has, is that it's arm setup is slightly more mature than debian stable.

You get an arm crosscompiler included with the default x86 packages for example (makes doing an cross-sdk a bit easier), and the rest of the arm related tools are more complete too.

At the moment, it looks to me like ubuntu would actually be the thing to go for.

But feel free to convince me otherwise.

(of course the biggest disadvantage would be having to buy ED a new tshirt)

Ubuntu is fine if it is a basic system with xfce and not with that unity and spyware crap.

Ubuntu patches a lot of their packages so that they are relic of what they were originally :/

And ironically even Arch is a lot more stable than that distro.

No Ubuntu.

Worst choice.

Debian Testing I'd say.

Stable is too outdated I think.

Only choice I see is Arch.

EDIT:

Isn't it possible to let the user decide if he wants to use Debian Stable or Testing packages?

I mean it doesn't affect anything if I use XFCE 4.10 instead of 4.8.

Isn't this simply a matter what repository you choose in synaptic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Debian to me seems like the best choice. a bit of stability is what a device like the Pyra/Pandora needs and I assume even their test version is still fairly stable, Also they seem to be one of the bigger ARM players out of the bunch.. I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu personally, but that is mostly their choices of desktop environment which can be changed... Suse are they not in bed with Microsoft? 

Windows 8! :)
Ah sure...But you're doing all the negotiations with Microsoft.

>We could however, also go for ubuntu.

Stopped reading and rageposted.

Debian testing seems to be where the involvement for return is the highest, considering our userbase.

Tinycore has a arm branch now, and they have some novel ideas in regard to solving the need for package space/installation schemes.

Those two and arch are the only ones i think have a novel way of doing what i think should amount to being a distro. Everything else is mostly rice and specific component development.

Of course there is any number of variants to doing a generic distro, but debian gets my vote for being big, compatible, and non-cancerous.

I for myself would be happy if I could use Debian unstable.

If users could choose it'll be great.

Don't want to wait until everything moved to Debian stable.

That's why my Laptop is Arch.

When the Pyra comes out maybe even Jessie is released, then you have your qt5 and xfce 4.10 ;)

Furthermore the Pyra shall be both: Mini Desktop System and mobile console. Especially for the last a stable and not so often changing base system makes sense for me, especially if we want to keep a PND like package system, which have to assume the existense and the version of libraries!

In fact a stable but maybe a bit older base makes senes for applications like libreoffice and gimp, too. Privately I use debian SID a lot, but brand new software sometimes changes more than normal users like. Gimp e.g. changed the way of saving and exporting images a lot.

So I "vote" for Debian stable, too. If someone really NEEDS brand new stuff, debian sid is only one edit away or you install something else parallel. ;)

In fact a stable but maybe a bit older base makes senes for applications like libreoffice and gimp, too. Privately I use debian SID a lot, but brand new software sometimes changes more than normal users like. Gimp e.g. changed the way of saving and exporting images a lot.
Especially for stuff like LibreOffice it might give a bad impression to users if they don't get the latest version.

Especially for stuff like LibreOffice it might give a bad impression to users if they don't get the latest version.
I would bet most users don't even know the latest version of LibreOffice... And if, Debian Testing Sources with lower priority to install on their own is the best option imo.

I would bet most users don't even know the latest version of LibreOffice... And if, Debian Testing Sources with lower priority to install on their own is the best option imo.
I think as long as we use Debian I'm fine with it.

Back