Which Device(S) Do You Use And How Often?

How often do you use your GP2X series handheld?

• Total voters

I just played some MasteriesRunners and Buzzy's Bad Day (a throwback to the GP2X days :gp2x) on my Caanoo. I still don't have any games on my phone, when it comes to gaming it's either my PC, Caanoo, or Pandora.

Akabei said:
I voted weekly as well, although I'm using my Caanoo more like two or three times a week.
I don't want to demotivate you, but if you expect more than 20-30 downloads of a game for a GPH device, you are probably 3 or 4 years too late. :(
I don't have any statistics, but I guess even very polished games like SQRXZ 4 didn't get much attention here.

The Pandora might be a different story, as the scene is still much more active.

There really isn't a good reason for that though. Even the GP2X F100 has plenty of life left in it AND anyone who owns one can use it because it uses standard batteries. Though there are a lot of good game for the GP2X, I don't think anyone has really PUSHED the machine with games. We've also seen with several emulators just how powerful the machine is when the right person is programming it (GPSP and Picodrive for example). Even the GP32 was never really pushed to its limits by an original game, though there are a ton of good original games (and ports) for both systems.

christo930 said:
There really isn't a good reason for that though. Even the GP2X F100 has plenty of life left in it AND anyone who owns one can use it because it uses standard batteries. Though there are a lot of good game for the GP2X, I don't think anyone has really PUSHED the machine with games. We've also seen with several emulators just how powerful the machine is when the right person is programming it (GPSP and Picodrive for example). Even the GP32 was never really pushed to its limits by an original game, though there are a ton of good original games (and ports) for both systems.

And even gpSP wasn't pushed nearly as far as it could have been. There are so many things I wanted to try there, I really wished I worked more on it from 2007-2009. But there's not much point anymore now, if anything most platforms people currently use can handle ports of VBA, which is less efficient but more accurate/compatable and featureful.

It's funny because I never wrote it with ARM in mind, but by the time the GP2X ports were coming out I was envisioning it being reasonably playable on 200MHz ARM9s over many devices. Not just GP2X but Tapwave Zodiac, for example.

christo930 said:
I think Payback really pushes the GP2X to its limits, and Vektar too with smooth anti-aliased software graphics and OGG decoding on the 940 core. There is also the EgoBoo port that uses Gpu940 for rasterization, and of course many other games that make good use of the hardware without needing to stress it, thus pushing the battery life instead :) I have a 2GB card full of nothing but homebrew!

I was sad when GPH discontinued the Wiz and Caanoo so soon after release. The GP2X had several years to build a community and a polished software library, and it showed. Their newer handhelds lost most of that momentum, although it's not all GPH's fault, the market itself changed a lot since 2005.

As you said though, these things still have life in them so I wouldn't be surprised to see new releases trickle down in the coming years. We should remember to send ED a donation every now and then for keeping the archives up all these years! :)

I really miss following the old machines - until the forum pretty much died at the onset of mobile phone gaming there always seemed to be something new or something unexpected arriving. Games are still released for the Spectrum, C64, NES etc. so I expect these open source machines won't completely die for a good while yet. They still command a fair asking price on auction sites too.

While I really enjoy the Pandora, it just doesn't seem to attract the same "Wow!" factor in the same way that the GP2X, Caanoo and Wiz did for me when they came out. I expect the Pyra to have even less "Wow!" as people will expect a lot more from it, with fewer surprises likely.

iPrice: Well, just because it isn't nearly said often enough, Thank you so much for your games, been bummed out that I can't run most glbasic games through GINGE atm to play some of your other masterpieces lately, but you sir make some solid, fun and addictive games!

alxm: Same applies to you basically, spent countless hours playing your games!

Exophase: Absolutely scary that you think gpsp is barely optimized to what it could be... would love to see what you could've actually pulled off :p

Finally, Optimus: Can't even explain how some of your GP2X stuff blows my mind and can't wait to see something new on the GP32, would be phenominal!

At the moment I've dug back into my Pandora (and the chore of making it the most epic and updated collection I'll ever have...) and been lovin' it! GINGE slowly getting setup with everything that'll work (and things being done about the stuff that doesn't... lots of fenix things just require a fenix executable that'll run through GINGE in the right folder... Not sure what the issue is with GLBasic and Bennu stuff yet tho...)

I've never tried GINGE and I can't say what the problem is for GLBasic games.

Is there a specific game that I developed that isn't on Pandora that you'd like to play?

B'Lox, Balloonacy and cat trap... drench is also fun :)

But you said specific game, so cat trap... brings up the nostalgia on playing those kinda games back in windows 3.11 :p

Back