Which 2D Engine?

Kordman916

Still Fresh
Hey everyone!

I was wondering what 2D game/graphics engines out there work on the Pandora and Ubuntu(My coding OS)

The ones I've heard of are:
Bennu
Penjin
SDL

Are there anymore I should know about?

SDL is not an engine per se, it is a highly ported API for doing gaming-type stuff (display, audio, utilities, etc); you use SDL to make an engine (and engine is the 'business logic' on top of an API.)

Penjin is more an engine.

I tend to write my own, so I don't follow 'em, sorry, but all of those 3 above are on Pandora (SDL is included in firmware, and Penjin was created for Pandora.)

jeff

AFAIK Qt works also. It has some nice features to make a game (GLES accelerated blitting and so on), though I can't vouch for the performance without testing (waiting for my pandora). There's also Quad-Ren developed by Hessiess here which seemed promising. GLES2D was being developed by Cpasjuste, the last I heard it was stalled because of more important stuff keeping the man busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penjin is homegrown right here in gp32x and recent developments have been very Pandora-centric. If you get stuck there are several members that know and understand how to get things done (myself, Dragons_Slayer, MarkoeZ, foxblock)

You can find some limited documentation here.

I've have heard some good things about QT too and as mentioned SDL is a GFX API not an engine.

I'm currently learning C++ and SDL to code for my Pandora (still waiting). I have coded quite a lot before but not anything as complicated as C++. I am also quite curious if this is the best choice for me or not. I like it that SDL runs great on my Windows 7 netbook and I may also want to go beyond the Pandora one day and SDL 1.3 offers support for DS and iPhone.

Back