Various Cradle Questions...

Hey guys,

I got the cradle and got some audio cables and an S-VHS cable, though I realised what I thought was the SVHS point on the TV wasn't, so I had to use a SCART adapter to plug it in. Anyway I got it working, to a point. But I have a few questions:

The screen is more or less black and white. You can see vague shades of colour flickering constantly though.

The sound isn't very good quality, and it's quite low - I have to turn the TV up quite a bit (to be honest for the volume this happens when watching a DVD too so I'm presuming its the same thing).

Do I have to configure a joypad every single time I use it?? It takes ages and can be annoying as certain controls seem to be only done through the 2X, even in the cradle. Specifically the select and start button etc.

Although it was clearly attached to the cradle, as I was using a USB joypad and was obviously playing through the TV, it turned out I was running it off batteries on the 2X. Has anyone else had this problem? I realised I turned on the 2X before plugging it in to the cradle, because the cradle is poorly designed to half cover the on/off switch. However, when the batteries ran out I plugged it into the cradle and turned it on from there but it still didn't work - how do I get it to run the actual 2X off the mains?

I have a multi-volt adapter set to 5V like the manual says.

Thanks in advance guys, I really want to use the cradle but unless I can sort out the above problems, at the very least the mains power and colour issue it's not really playable at all.

I wondered with the video quality if it would be something to do with the quality of the cables I was using?

If by configing joypad you mean turn on the USB host + HID then answer yes.
You need to power gp2x itself, not cradle (unless you using external USB HDD).

Cleck also type of signal when you go to the TV mode.

My only general problem with cradle - high sound noise when playing video from USB memory stick.

The screen is more or less black and white Where do you live? Select PAL (Europe) or NTSC (USA) in the Gp2x while connecting to the TV. If you have B&W, you need the other color mode :)

The sound isn't very good quality, and it's quite low (...) this happens when watching a DVD tooThis seems to be TV problem. Some TVs have a poor sound input through the SCART. Try to use other sound input in your TV or plug an external speaker to the Gp2x (home cinema and so). I never figured out a solution for this.

Do I have to configure a joypad every single time I use it? Not in the emulators. If you mean the usb-host/hid config, see http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42916&hl=

Although it was clearly attached to the cradle (...) My poor English prevented me from understanding this paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
The screen is more or less black and white. You can see vague shades of colour flickering constantly though.

This can happen with poor conversion from s-video (it often happens with s-video to composite adaptors). It might be your Scart adaptor. If you can, take your GP2X and cradle to a TV with an s-video input, and see if it works ok.

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Although it was clearly attached to the cradle, as I was using a USB joypad and was obviously playing through the TV, it turned out I was running it off batteries on the 2X. Has anyone else had this problem? I realised I turned on the 2X before plugging it in to the cradle, because the cradle is poorly designed to half cover the on/off switch. However, when the batteries ran out I plugged it into the cradle and turned it on from there but it still didn't work - how do I get it to run the actual 2X off the mains?
Unfortunately the cradle doesn't supply the GP2X with power, so unless you have a power pack for the GP2X, it'll only be running off batteries. Silly, I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies, clears it up. A friend suggested it might be the NTSC and PAL issue, its stupid because when you select between them in the menu it doesn't quite make clear which is selected, is it black or white?

I'll fiddle around with the rest and thanks again for replying.

Can you map the start and select buttons, and the L1+2 to your own pad? For playing MAME it'll be a pain getting up to add more credits all the time.

Can't be NTSC / PAL Issue if you use the SVHS connector. Only if you use the adaptor. Be sure the adaptor actually works.

I had the same issue with the black and white screen. The problem was that the svideo receptacle on the cradle wasn't centered. So when I plugged the svideo cable into the receptacle on the cradle it appeared to be fully seated, but was not. I just had to wiggle it around while pressing in on the cable and immediately had color. I probably need to take the cradle apart and center the PCB or something. I hope that helps!

Right then, an update!

I got the colour thing working. I set it to PAL but the colour seemed really weak. After a while I flicked through and it turned out that - silly me - on AV it was weak, but on SVHS it was perfect! Hurrah!

So thats one problem out of the way.

A new problem has cropped up however, which could be annoying. Basically my adapter doesnt' seem to be working with the 2X anymore.

I have it set to 3V and it looks fine, a bright red light on the adapter shows power going through it. As soon as I plug it into the 2X and turn it on the light fades out and disappears. I have no idea why. Then if I unplug it the 2X turns on and runs off batteries just fine.

I've used this adapter ages and never had a problem with it - I have no idea whats going on. Part of me wondered if I needed to increase the voltage to 4.5V but it's meant to work on 3V (and always did before) and I don't want to brick the 2X.

Any ideas?

Back