Where are the old folk of GP32?

Arda

Website
arda.kisafilm.org
Hello everyone, I'm the coder/designer of "Numo" for GP32,
I'm here because of evil dragon's email.

I just wanted to check if any of the gp32 folk, who lurked gp32 irc channel, participated gp32 competitions and share information and joy.

I sometimes encounter Mr.Spiv around, and I heard a distant hello from rlyeh, as I'm also a specchum and an amigian, but never heard of others.

There were too many good developers in GP32 scene. What are you all doing?

I have been coding for zx spectrum since gp32, very active on WOS, but since martijn (evildragon of WOS) left, it's somehow didn't woke up properly. Having never switched to gp2x and pandora, I'm using an Android smartphone, as it is not nearly as fun as a GPH unit, totally destroys the urge to develop games for the platform.

Last year, when I was cleaning my retro collection, I powered on my GP32 Blu+ unit (which I won from GBAX compo). And it immediately gone black and it looks like it's dead. Power light turns on but no other action is happening. I didn't even search for a cure since I still got my old FLU unit working. Maybe I should release numo level editor before I got nothing to test on. :)

Anyway, if there are anybody feels the same warm feeling about GP32, drop this thread a hello :) (Don Skeeto!) I'll be checking in for every 3-4 months :D Ciao!

Yes, two of my four GP32 have the black screen issue as well, seems like a common issue :(
I should take the time to find out what that us.

Anyways, welcome back :)
I still love Numo (it's my favourite version of that kind of game) :)
I wonder how hard it would be to port it to the Pandora / Pyra / whatever.

GP2X stuff runs fine using Ginge, but as the GP32 wasn't using Linux, it's not that trivial.

Ah... the GP32 had a lot of cool games. I'd also love to replay Blue Angelo, one of the few really good commercial games.

And I wonder when F-Day will finally happen :)

Hahaha yes, f-day needs to happen! I still believe!

what about the gp32 emulator we had on gp2x? I remember it was just a proof of concept, only able to boot and show the menu. forgot what it was called... geepee32? or was that the pc version? we need that developed and ported! emulating gp32 games on the pandora would be a lot of fun!

EDIT: Right... we now have the file archive right on site...
it was called spot! https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/resources/gp32-spot.1023/

Last edited:
Yeah, that was from Squidgeyyyy :)
I wonder where he is :)

Geepee32 has been included into MESS, it runs with about 3fps on the Pandora (I tested :))

I was also lured here by EvilDragons email! What a nice surprise for christmas :)

I mainly develop for the Sam Coupe these days but I'll be keeping an eye on the Pyra as it looks very nice indeed.. Good luck to all concerned with that! I have a website at wublog.co.uk where you can find info about all the awful GP32 projects I was responsible for, as well as my current, hopefully less awful, Sam projects.

I miss the GP32 days with a passion so I'll try to lurk around here as much as I can, just to relive the glory days :D

Aaah The Wub :)
Great to see you're doing fine as well :)

I remember you're little drummachine :)

I might have three GP32, two Blu and one Flu. I always have this wish to come back a bit developing for the GP32, because it's where I started and have lot's of memories of things that really impressed me then, before such devices became common. Also the first time I code for a handheld. I had made a demo then (Led Blur) and a viewer of FLI files but never a game which will be the next thing if I code for this device again. I find the GP32 having a special place in my heart.

p.s. Ahh,. the Sam Coupe. I recently got one and started coding/learning for it a bit. A great underlooked 8bit.

Yes, two of my four GP32 have the black screen issue as well, seems like a common issue :(
I should take the time to find out what that us.
I was hoping it's just a fuse issue.

Anyways, welcome back :)
I still love Numo (it's my favourite version of that kind of game) :)
I wonder how hard it would be to port it to the Pandora / Pyra / whatever.
As the guy who was behind the GP32 devkit (sorry I don't remember his nickname) decided to change the Licence to LGPL and it wasn't working for us, we changed the source code.
it was coded in pure C, madcat took time to split the screen renderer from the main code branch, and it's very easty to port anywhere.
there is also an windows (with sdl libraries) and a dos port already running. I think we can share source code so it can be compiled anywhere. I'll think about this.

I'll be checking pyra too, it looks like an interesting device. I hope it will fashion a display output port to connect it to an projection device. It may be a very nice presentation computer which I'm looking for nowadays.

And I wonder when F-Day will finally happen :)
Lol :) At least I got my chatboard compatible fzx :D

I just found my old stack of SMC cards for my GP32 Blu.
It inspired me to put some batteries in the old girl and go for a run.
R-Type on GPengine! Fantastic!
The "clicky" game pad is awesome and gives great control, and the BLU screen is great for pc-engine emulation.

I also want to give a shout out to little guy who as a special place in my heart... the WIZ!!!
It has made me an OLED lover to this day, MAME on the WIZ for the win!

Yes. I am still waiting on F-day!

Last edited:
it was coded in pure C, madcat took time to split the screen renderer from the main code branch, and it's very easty to port anywhere.
there is also an windows (with sdl libraries) and a dos port already running. I think we can share source code so it can be compiled anywhere. I'll think about this.

Oh, you can send me the SDL sourcecode and I'll try a quick compile on the Pandora :)

Arda: Numo was awesome! I'm sure ED or somebody here'll be willing to help you port it if you want, and I'm willing to lend my services if requested too :)

As for Spot, it's too bad Squidge didn't take it any further... the fact that it had audio and could run the menu was impressive to say the least :)

The day that a bunch of emulators (e.g. MSX, ZX spectrum, GB) would be 'open sourced' by Ryleh. Not sure why it is called F-day though, never had a GP32 myself.

The day that a bunch of emulators (e.g. MSX, ZX spectrum, GB) would be 'open sourced' by Ryleh. Not sure why it is called F-day though, never had a GP32 myself.

Not OpenSourced - Released.
I think I got some unreleased pre-release versions of some of his emulators lying around :)

Well, there was a mini unofficial f-day kinda... but yeah, don't think there was a full fledged f-day that went public...

Not OpenSourced - Released.

Ah thanks - I probably got confused, because he did release a couple of them.

BTW I assume you guys were calling it F-day because all his emulators started with 'f'?

lol sam_fisher is still around? nice to see you dude.
@EvilDragon OMG you could make f-day happen... sort of at least. Is Ryleh still around somewhere? How cool would a couple of fresh gp32 emulators be...

I haven't heard from Rlyeh in ages, no idea what he does now.
But I could check my cards for some GP32 treasures :)

Back