When Will We See Realtime 3d Performence Videos?

AFAIK PowerVR does not produce hardware, they simply produce IP Cores that is implemented by hardware manufactures in this case TI.

In regards to PowerVR linux driver, i am under the understanding that they leave up to the vendors the way they will handle interfacing the software with the hardware.(i.e. TI is responsible for the driver not PowerVR).

The biggest problem i can see right now is that part of the Inst Set is still largely unsupported/unoptimized by the compiler (NEON, etc...). And the C64x+compiler is still a closed source (but free) TI compiler, meaning they can unsupported it and leave us all dry in a desert island with no turtles to put under our feet and save us...

Putting things in perspective it's not all a sea of roses, but it's also not a perfect storm (IMHO). TI has opened up to the OSS developer community, not 100% but with some pressure they may be willing to open source the C64x+ compiler and any other software that may be within reason to ask for. The PowerVR dudes are also usually very friendly and supportive. Anyway we will see how things turn out in the up coming months.

Back