When Pyra would be cheaper? When There would be new replacement boards?

TrashyMG, thanks for this video!
I am successfully using Intel hardware with 2GB of RAM for everyday work. In Linux I rarely get over 1GB of used RAM. At work I have a powerful machine with 8GB of RAM and I go over 2GB only when I virtualize. So now I see how RAM utilization looks in ARM computer. For my workflows it's better than I expected.
I see that CPU utilization is not the biggest, RAM too, but Firefox seems to "choke" and hang for fractions of second. What is a reason? RAM speed? Disk I/O speed (cache)?

About upgrades, everything depends on what is present on connectors. I have to warn, from electronics perspective, that there were many cases in which absence of one or two signals prevented machine from being upgraded. I remember an old notebook in which it was impossible to upgrade graphics chip nearly at all (and it was in detachable board), because connection to its RAM stick was implemented using very small amount of data lines. It was the only reason why poor resolution or color depth was achieved and nothing more. It is important not to go into such situation designing new hardware and sometimes designer must predict very strange expansion scenarios. I've seen an upgrade board for some industrial computer from early 1990s with fixed (by holes in 1,5mm-thick steel sheet) connectors set. After installing the board, unused pins of one serial connector became... USB.

I see that CPU utilization is not the biggest, RAM too, but Firefox seems to "choke" and hang for fractions of second. What is a reason? RAM speed? Disk I/O speed (cache)?
I'd actually like to see how browsing would be when the OS is on the eMMC, as the Disk I/O supposed to be faster than the SD card by wide margins.

I'd actually like to see how browsing would be when the OS is on the eMMC, as the Disk I/O supposed to be faster than the SD card by wide margins.
Or with the Browser Cache in an zram or Normal Ramdisk. The Later should be better because we have plenty of Ram.

Sorry for not asking before... but if I preorder one Pyra Mobile EU with 4GB RAM, would it cost 745 EUR or 400 EUR ?
so is the 400 EUR a final price or I have to pay the rest later?
if it is 400 EUR only, I am sorry for suggesting it beeing cheaper, because 400 EUR is fairly enough price for the device (from customer view, not neccessary from producer view :p )

http://www.chip.pl/mobile/news/sprz...zyla-przedsprzedaz-dragonbox-pyra/mobile_view
here is said preoder would be about 200 EUR cheaper than non-preorder

Last edited:
400 EUR is a the Pre-order amount, you will get 400EUR Voucher for the Pyra at the Dragonbox.DE shop, you will be emailed when it's ready to ship and you will need to pay the 745EUR then, but you will have the 400EUR voucher to apply with it. I personally bought another Voucher so I essentially payed it in full already, I just need to apply both Vouchers when the time comes.

Orders made after the units comes to market will not be any cheaper than preorders, since as Trashy says, a 400EUR pre-order just turns into a 400EUR voucher that you can use against a retail unit, once available.

The only benefits to preordering are so they you can spread the cost (although like Trashy I have ended up buying more vouchers, as money allows and as exchange rates fluctuate in my favour), and to support the project. As problems are discovered (like the current 'GHz issue' they're working on) they all take money to fix.

It's sad, but true is true :(
so the magazine is wrong :(
I still have time to decide: to buy or not to buy :)

Back