When Is The Gp2x Official Release?

peanutman

Still Fresh
Website
www.peanutsoft.com
Hmm, when exactly will the GP2X be released "officialy".
And I don't quite understand some stuff... will this "official" release be different from the GP2X you guys have? or does the official release just mean other shops than gbax, and gp2x.de are allowed to sell the GP2X.

Is it worth waiting untill the official release, or is it exactly the same as the ones people can buy at gbax.com?

Sorry if I'm asking something that can be found elsewhere, but I searched the forum, found nothing.

Reinout,

I don't know who came up with the "official release" stuff, but i'm pretty sure it is already officially released. It would be a big mistake for them to significantly change the hardware, so I'm pretty sure they won't (thanks to craigix carefully watching over them :p ). About shops allowed to sell the gp2x, i believe any shop is allowed to sell the gp2x. Play-asia sells them and I don't think they're an "official" retailer. I have also heard of other sites selling the gp2x, but I don't think they are "official" either. I'm pretty sure this "official release" stuff came around because of what lik-sang said being interpreted incorrectly.

hmm... but I've seen many shops that don't have them in stock
and just have a message like "available Q1 2006".

I don't know. I don't know anything about the GP2X, but I really want one. I'm a computer science student, and I would love to make some games for it, and mess around with it. And while I have it I might aswel use it as mp3/movie player :D

Reinout,

I don't know who came up with the "official release" stuff, but i'm pretty sure it is already officially released. It would be a big mistake for them to significantly change the hardware, so I'm pretty sure they won't (thanks to craigix carefully watching over them :p ). About shops allowed to sell the gp2x, i believe any shop is allowed to sell the gp2x. Play-asia sells them and I don't think they're an "official" retailer. I have also heard of other sites selling the gp2x, but I don't think they are "official" either. I'm pretty sure this "official release" stuff came around because of what lik-sang said being interpreted incorrectly.

I'm mad at lik-sang for that BS. My order is tied up with them... But at least I know from craig (if I interpret his post right) that 'prime-time' is in March. Hopefully, then, the GP2X I ordered months ago will be sent to me.

I think the only thing the 'official release' means is that it will be widely distributed in Korea. That's it. Other than the firmware hopefully being more stable, and the units shipping with a better stick, which I've heard numerous times.

Last edited by a moderator:
its easy to cancel an order from lik-sang, ive done it a few times, i simply emailed them saying i wish to cancel X order, done..

I was thinking about starting a new thread about this, but I might aswell fit it in under this topic. The only reason holding me back from ordering one right now is wether there is a reasonable chance Gamepark will do something about the joystick. (Before the "official release"). Not just replace the stick itself. That I can do on my own.. but replace or modify the microswitch. According to most people the official release wont bring any hardware changes. But replacing/correcting the microswitch IS a hardware change, so logically this is not going to happen?

I understand the GPX2 is based on a circuit board with integrated sound and graphics mass-produced by some OEM. So most parts are practically set in stone right? Does this include the joystick microswitch? If not, there should be some small hope one thinks, if so, it isn't a very realistic prospect to hope for a microswitch replacement is it?

I was thinking about starting a new thread about this, but I might aswell fit it in under this topic. The only reason holding me back from ordering one right now is wether there is a reasonable chance Gamepark will do something about the joystick. (Before the "official release"). Not just replace the stick itself. That I can do on my own.. but replace or modify the microswitch. According to most people the official release wont bring any hardware changes. But replacing/correcting the microswitch IS a hardware change, so logically this is not going to happen?

I understand the GPX2 is based on a circuit board with integrated sound and graphics mass-produced by some OEM. So most parts are practically set in stone right? Does this include the joystick microswitch? If not, there should be some small hope one thinks, if so, it isn't a very realistic prospect to hope for a microswitch replacement is it?
Obviously it would be pretty bad to significantly change the hardware when GPH have made it clear from the start that all that is needed are firmware fixes.

Even when the preorder units were finally shipped, GPH informed that they weren't as ready as they would have liked and that you had to be prepared for that. They were also delaying the official release because of that. But they also promised that the only thing that would differ would be the firmware. The hardware on the "first edition" would be as good as the release units.

If GPH now suddenly started making hardware changes then I would think that some 8000's constumers who already bought units would be somewhat upset.

If GPH now suddenly started making hardware changes then I would think that some 8000's constumers who already bought units would be somewhat upset.
I think "somewhat" is something of an understatement ;)

They'll have quite a mess on there hands if they make hardware changes...

And if they do make hardware changes, i hope they can "upgrade" our units or give replacements for free, or for a small price difference.

And if they do make hardware changes, i hope they can "upgrade" our units or give replacements for free, or for a small price difference.

Would Nintendo give free replacements when they upgraded the screens in the GBA-SP from frontlit to the much better backlit versions that they sell now? I think not.

As long as the "new" GP2Xs are completely compatible if they changed the joystick switches and/or caps slightly those are the breaks. That is the price you paid for getting yours 4 months earlier than everyone else.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was GPH saying that all pre-orders were not the official release, and that there would be an official release early this year.

Craigx should know, and he says it's in March apparently, I'm waiting until then.

I wonder what the official release will bring. Hopefully it won't bring a GP2X+ or anything like that.

Why not? More ram for instance would be nice. I would sell my unit over ebay and would buy a fresh official one that would enable me to play games such as mark of the wolves, blazing star etc. But I agree that the worst thing would be minor changes that lead to major compatibility problems.

I think they should nor will change the hardware... maybe fix some units so you get it completely bugfree (mention the speaker-sound-bug I had to hardwarefix myself) ...
and besides deliever a rather bugfree and complete/featurerich and nicely usable firmware so people don't have to fiddle around with the unit/software anymore ;D !

BTW I have to say I think the picture viewer upgrade is cool, so if the sources get opened next week and GPH/Dignsys accept patches from dev's I do see a future so bright for the GP2X it almost makes me blind ;) !!!

At some point in time there will be other revisions of gp2x. Just like in the case of gp32 but it's doubtfull that it will happen soon.

For the gp2x's stick problem is that the pcb had to modified to put something different. Even rotating it by 45 degress would need such modification. Even worse the gp2x's stick has 8 switches so to retain a compatibility the same functiona onel had to be mounted.

For now changing the cap to something more appropriate and using software biasing is the best solution. At least it's easiest albeit not ideal.

A lot of people sem to be saying this, but this kind of thing seems very unlikely, no? Why would the GBAX or GPH want to take back a load of stock they have already sold? The unit we all have, apart from a few niggles, does actually work very well in the majority of cases. It is still a pre-release after all. I'm very pleased with what I've got. Any slight joystick problems are well worth having a GP2x (what looks now like to be) about 6 months early.

That's not to say that if a new version came out I wouldn't buy it, but I certainly wouldn't expect it for free. I don't mean to sound negative, just being realistic..

;)

Back