When Am I Getting My Pandora?

WizardStan said:
banjeed said:
Anyone else starting to think we need to start a fund to send these guys to China or wherever the hell this bottleneck is happening?
It has been recommended that Fatih + trusted translator visit China many times over the last year and a half since the whole problem with the cases began. For reasons unknown (though I trust are well considered) they decided not to.

banjeed said:
OP (I really hate this phrase because I'm so used to it standing for "original poster")
Try "OPT" (Open Pandora Team). It's become my acronym of choice. :)

What on earth do you think is happening in China? Everything is done in the west aside from the cases, with which we have no issues.

-The delay right now is this nub testing business, they seem to be at a snails pace on it.

That said I've got 100+ units to ship next week, did I mention that? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
What on earth do you think is happening in China? Everything is done in the west aside from the cases, with which we have no issues.
It's not what IS happening in China, it's what hadn't happened in China. They were months behind schedule and you couldn't really explain why. From the outside it looked like the fastest way to resolve the problem would have been to actually send someone. This is what various websites and even that video you like to post stated: the Chinese mentality is hard working to please the boss; boss is in the UK or Turkey, they don't work as hard. It made sense to us (or at least myself and a few others that made similar suggestions) to fly someone to China to oversee production for a week.
Seriously, EvilDragon once said he was losing hundreds per day due to delays of the Pandora. 685GBP will get you a round trip ticket from Istanbul to Beijing tomorrow, so it's not like it would have been prohibitively expensive, and if that week would have gotten them done months sooner then you would have in fact saved money.
But you didn't, and I respect that you had reasons not to, reasons that you chose (either actively or simply didn't think relevant) to disclose, reasons that I don't honestly want to know, simply the fact that chose not to go is enough for me.

edit: actually, it is also kinda what is happening in China. It's been weeks since the plastics "just needed to be painted" before being flown over. The last time they just needed to be painted, the first 1000 that were shipped, you had them fairly quickly after making the announcement that they were ready. This time, you're waiting again, for seemingly no reason to us on the outside, warranting another round of "just fly over there and see what's up".

I'll believe the cases aren't a problem any more when I hear that the air batch has arrived, and you have a shipping number for the sea batch.

Maybe you have good reasons to be sure there won't be any problems, but I don't, so I'll stick to my pessimism. ;)

craigix said:
WizardStan said:
banjeed said:
Anyone else starting to think we need to start a fund to send these guys to China or wherever the hell this bottleneck is happening?
It has been recommended that Fatih + trusted translator visit China many times over the last year and a half since the whole problem with the cases began. For reasons unknown (though I trust are well considered) they decided not to.

banjeed said:
OP (I really hate this phrase because I'm so used to it standing for "original poster")
Try "OPT" (Open Pandora Team). It's become my acronym of choice. :)

-The delay right now is this nub testing business, they seem to be at a snails pace on it.

please let me be in that 100, would make a lovely birthday present for me on Thursday :D

craigix said:

I love you...like...with my mouth

craigix said:
The delay right now is this nub testing business, they seem to be at a snails pace on it.
Yupp. We all would have less stress, if they did this already during the Months we waited for the Case Company to finish their Job, AFAIK 8Monts or so when I count from actual beginning of mold-making. :) Should be enough to test 8000 Nubs. Of course, nobody knew at this time that the Nubs are actualy crapy Quality. ^^""

WizardStan said:
craigix said:
It's not what IS happening in China, it's what hadn't happened in China. They were months behind schedule and you couldn't really explain why. From the outside it looked like the fastest way to resolve the problem would have been to actually send someone. This is what various websites and even that video you like to post stated: the Chinese mentality is hard working to please the boss; boss is in the UK or Turkey, they don't work as hard. It made sense to us (or at least myself and a few others that made similar suggestions) to fly someone to China to oversee production for a week.
Seriously, EvilDragon once said he was losing hundreds per day due to delays of the Pandora. 685GBP will get you a round trip ticket from Istanbul to Beijing tomorrow, so it's not like it would have been prohibitively expensive, and if that week would have gotten them done months sooner then you would have in fact saved money.
But you didn't, and I respect that you had reasons not to, reasons that you chose (either actively or simply didn't think relevant) to disclose, reasons that I don't honestly want to know, simply the fact that chose not to go is enough for me.

edit: actually, it is also kinda what is happening in China. It's been weeks since the plastics "just needed to be painted" before being flown over. The last time they just needed to be painted, the first 1000 that were shipped, you had them fairly quickly after making the announcement that they were ready. This time, you're waiting again, for seemingly no reason to us on the outside, warranting another round of "just fly over there and see what's up".

Awesome, another armchair inventor.

Like I've said before, put your cards on the table before you come out with this guff in future. You have *no* idea what you are talking about, I'd love to see the flip side and see you make something like the Pandora. I'd love to see how all your beliefs on these things fall apart as you try them and they don't work.

craigix said:

Like I've said before, put your cards on the table before you come out with this guff in future. You have *no* idea what you are talking about, I'd love to see the flip side and see you make something like the Pandora. I'd love to see how all your beliefs on these things fall apart as you try them and they don't work.

Considering there are now about 3400 people who would love to see YOU make something like the Pandora, I think your words sound very empty.

just Ordered an Amiga 1200 on Ebay
The one with the built in Flash Card.
Still have an Amiga 1200 and 600
2000 plus games on this machine.
In my world Retro is everything
Pandora ordered in July 2009
I wait every day for news
dont rant or rave.....

aq21 said:
Considering there are now about 3400 people who would love to see YOU make something like the Pandora, I think your words sound very empty.

Please don't speak for me. I'm seeing hundreds of people who actually have their pandora, and I'm patiently awaiting mine. Just like I did since day 1.

panik said:
aq21 said:

Please don't speak for me. I'm seeing hundreds of people who actually have their pandora, and I'm patiently awaiting mine. Just like I did since day 1.

+1

silver said:
All the due dates/contracted dates currently do not apply because they are past original production.

Boards were produced, Nubs were produced, cases were produced.

But Faulty Nubs meant Nub production stalled while they sorted QC and presumably tweaked nub production. Boards are probably sitting semi-ready to hit production line when a large pile of QC'd nubs arrive in Texas.

Key word here is "working". On time doesn't count if the parts are defective and have to be reworked. It's not just about producing the parts, it's about having them to spec, working properly, and in the customer's hand.

craigix said:

Dude, what's with the hostility? I'm on your side! I even said that I trust in your judgment! I believe you have reasons for what you've done, reasons I don't want to know because it isn't my place, as a consumer, to know. I don't think anything I've said warrants such an attack.
You say I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I have done nothing but reiterate the advice of every "how to do business in China" website and video, including that one which you've linked to several times. If *I* have no idea what I'm talking about, then these websites and videos must therefore have no idea what they're talking about.
The advice was always simple: when doing business in China, GO THERE, at least once to ensure that something is actually happening. This has been repeated time and time and time again. I have not found a single website giving advice on how to do business in China that has not said something like that.
You did not follow that advice. I trust that you have reasons for that. If saying "all advice I've read says making a short trip to China is the best way to guarantee work gets done" makes me an "armchair inventor" that has no idea what I'm talking about, then dash me against the rocks because there is NO way anyone could possibly give you any kind of advice or feedback without you considering them an "armchair inventor".

I hold two beliefs that you're insulting here:
1) If there is any chance that 2000 pounds for two tickets and accommodations for a week in China could have saved months of development time, it would have been 2000 pounds well spent. How much did you lose when the first nub company went under? How much to the "expert" that was supposed to fix the wifi? It seems rather silly to have balked at such a relatively low price to fix what could have been the biggest cause of delays. But again, I'm trusting in your judgment, and only repeating what has been stated many times on other websites and videos, and telling you how your operation looks FROM THE OUTSIDE simply because we don't have all the information that you do, nor do I want it.
2) The Texas company doing board population will never be a bottle neck. If you had gotten the cases 6 months ago and told them you needed boards ASAP, I firmly believe they'd have been able to stick to the 500 per week EvilDragon originally quoted those many moons ago. I still hold this belief. When the cases show up, and you call the factory in Texas and tell them you need boards populated, they will start shipping them to you as fast as they can get nubs. The nubs may become the unfortunate bottleneck, with new testing and however many they need to reproduce, but that again is information we don't know, nor do I want to know. It'll happen when it happens, but without those cases it means nothing.

Seriously, it's well known that you're quick to defend yourself, sometimes almost violently so, but there was no attack in what I said. I talked about advice I gave a long, long time ago based on advice from other sources, and tried to explain why others were giving the same advice now, and you threw back insults at me. It's like you didn't even try to read and understand what I wrote, you just saw someone who had an idea (with no regard to where that idea came from or when it was first stated) that was different from what you had done and jumped straight into angry defense mode.

WizardStan said:
2) The Texas company doing board population will never be a bottle neck. If you had gotten the cases 6 months ago and told them you needed boards ASAP, I firmly believe they'd have been able to stick to the 500 per week EvilDragon originally quoted those many moons ago. I still hold this belief. When the cases show up, and you call the factory in Texas and tell them you need boards populated, they will start shipping them to you as fast as they can get nubs. The nubs may become the unfortunate bottleneck, with new testing and however many they need to reproduce, but that again is information we don't know, nor do I want to know. It'll happen when it happens, but without those cases it means nothing.
I thought it seems that the board population IS the bottleneck. They had been delayed by nubs (but some/all have now shipped to the factory?) but still have to test any boards they do build. I think everyone is expecting a few more boards to have arrived last week - and cases are also supposed to be in-flight (with 300ish waiting for boards). So maybe the boards got bumped because the nubs were a delay, and something else was ready to build, and they've already picked up the pace, but it's not very obvious.

craigix said:
So there were some new boards arrived last week then?

Any volunteers to contribute to
http://pandorawiki.org/Quickstart
or to test it out next week?

We have all tried to tell you we are doing everything we can to make this happen and to ship the best possible quality consoles. We didn't 'do a GPH' and just ship with the nubs ala GP2X MK1 screen/stick. We always said we would not do that sort of shit and here we are fixing something early on so the experience is better overall.

We are doing *everything* we can to speed things along. There is no magic way to push this any faster. Going to visit these companies will make absolutely no difference. It just makes for awkward conversations and wasted money. The companies actively tell us going to see them makes no difference, it's just some business myth (unless you are dealing with a genuinely 'dodgy' company who have done no work at all - or might not be real) that visiting factories magically speeds them up.

All harassing them in a aggressive manner would likely do would be to make them not want to do business with us.

Telling us what we are doing wrong is no help either, most of us have been dealing with other companies all our working lives. There is a long term goal with this so we can make Pandora 2,3,4 with people and companies we know and trust. What we are going though now is the OpenPanora baptism of fire.

I geuss every great idea and start up has to have alot of crap happen to the to see if they can handle it huh. I would rather have a great proublem free system than a great system that fucked right out of the box. you guys are doing all that you can for us and I appreciat it alot. I'm still waiting on mine but it will b worth it when it's here in octobr I hope.

Given that multinational companies take near enough 2 years to get a "new" mobile phone out, AND they use the public to beta test - there is some junk out there! ;)

Frankly it's amazing the progress OPT have made it such a short time, sure fronting up £200+ for those who have been waiting takes some patience but as people must have realised without this money there would simply be no Pandora - or worse it would have come without nubs or joypad as some "angel" (if ever there was a misnomer...) had demanded it was not needed and made it a condition.

I'll bet even the OPT never realised just how many hurdles were awaiting them, just as we have no real idea what it must be like living the stress they are having day after day at the moment.

Roll on the day they can meet their target of 7 days from order to dispatch - then *everyone* will be a lot less stressed!

Back