When Am I Getting My Pandora?

There may be newer, faster machines out there for your pocket-lovin', but none of them have a FREAKING COMPILER ONBOARD.

*THAT* is the difference here, people. Good luck trying to use your iPhone to build iPhone apps, or your Android phone to build Android apps .. but, oh, by the way .. that 'slightly outdated computer' you're complaining about: WILL BE USEFUL FOR DECADES BEYOND ..

I'd rather have an outdated OPEN handheld computer than a bleeding edge LOCKED phone.

*facepalm* @Smartphones
Get off the boards and buy a tiny cripply phone, bye.
Don't moan when it's outdated and you've got to spend money on the next gadget in a few months.
The N900 has got a community at least, but it doesn't prevent Nokia from declaring its obsolescence.

The people that need shiny fast things just because mommy hasn't taught them how life works will move to the next newer phone then. A part of the core community will stay with the old phone the other part moves on. Every new iteration splits the community and parts die off.

I never even imagined being part of a phone community. You know, it sounds kinda weird :)

out of interest, how much do unlocked phones/devices of similar power currently cost? i mean the iphones all cost around $700 unlocked new dont they? have they really come down as far as $330 yet? sure the cost of the pandora hasnt come down but it wasnt exactly high to start with

Someone please tell me where I can get a new Android phone for EU330,- or even an iPhone 3GS/4 for that matter .. kthxbai.

Specs only have any meaning in terms of the features and capabilities they enable a device to have.
You could have the fastest supercomputer in the world, but if there isn't actually any software it's useless.

^ Yep. You always have to keep in mind that you buy a "package".
The Pandora package might be more interesting for some, others just want to call mum from time to time and play touchscreen tetris on the bus.
Another interesting note regarding "package", our hacker urjaman just compiled an experimental kernel and the battery gauge now reports 6:30h battery life at 32%. Part of the Pandora "package" consists of enjoying these things instead of downloading the latest and greatest active wallpaper ;)

Gruso, is it bad that my first thought when I read your post was "He come to town! Come to save! The Princess Zelda!"?

Seriously, though, that's pretty damn awesome. :D

Gruso said:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55613-buiilding-the-kernel/page__view__findpost__p__898842

Btw, his Pandora does 1GHz, too :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Gruso, is it bad that my first thought when I read your post was "He come to town! Come to save! The Princess Zelda!"?

Seriously, though, that's pretty damn awesome. :D

hey and that reminds me of

If only the video had correctly attributed it to The Rabbit Joint, whose song it actually is. :lol:

Anyway, more on-topic, 1GHz, blimey. I am impressed. This is why I love this place. :p

Last week I upgraded my iphone 3gs to a 32gb iphone 4. My reason for this was that after years of hopping from phone to phone, constantly being disappointed with operating systems (windows mobile: AGHHH IT BURNSES!!)and promised features turning out to be wet blankets, I settled on an iphone 3gs because everyone was trying to emulate it, so I thought I'd try the cause of all the noise. I loved it, it does lack a few things but they're all perfectly acceptable things in my eyes.Before I upgraded, I did entertain ideas of leaving the closed shed of appledom for the freedom of android, and came away for a dabble with the nexus one but I decided that android was largely awful and the apps were of very poor quality, the phone would behave strangely and need resetting etc. I settled on the idea that once you've gone Iphone nothing else will do. So, here I am with an Iphone 4, I'm very happy with it. It's a smart, neat, stylish package with plenty of good quality "casual" games and useful apps, and an excellent music player too (alright itunes is satan's bot-bot, I've always admitted that).

Now, my point for this rambling, incoherent load of horse raddish (thanks for bearing with me by the way) is that never has my mind has made a connection between these phones and the Pandora. During the first minute I learned of it I have been childishly excited and am still impatiently/nervously glancing at my emails in the hope of seeing a confirmation of postage pop up. There just isn't anything like the Pandora, and if you think a phone can wear it's dubiously stained, musky trousers then you must be tied down and made an example of in front of the whole village.

Does that make sense, father?

Better an empty post seeing I'm still not ok with the other something ;)

EDIT: thx Mali, was bleeped off at something else and it translated into my post :)

Here's my phone:

ANTIQUE_PHONE2.jpg

Yeah, it plays crysis.

..seriously though, that's my only phone. You crazy kids and your fancy shmancy wireless telephones, I tells ya.

the flawed iphone 4 that you have to hold in a strange way to make a call or umm you will get a dropped call this is 4 genarations of iphones and still it cant make a call without dropping at some point.

relliker said:
Actually I'm more concerned that some Asian cloner might decide that the Pandora is worth cloning like they do with everything else.
Name one Asian clone device that has all the same capabilities of the original.
They may clone the form factor and stick a similar CPU in there, but it wouldn't be near as complex as the Pandora. It'd be a mini laptop with an SNES emulator on it and not much else. Such is my prediction, should any clone actually appear.

I recieved my Pandora on June 3rd, 2010, and it has been a wonderful experiance so far. It is truly a one of a kind item, and does not compare to any phone out there. ANYONE who thinks a phone can be better than a Pandora should go and buy said phone.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....What does it matter if phone "X" can run God of War 3 or Street Fighter 4, if you have to control the game with a keypad or touch screen? That's right, It doesn't matter! Games need good controls, PERIOD! If running the latest and greatest is your cup of tea, the Pandora wasn't for you 2 years ago, and it won't be for you 2 years from now, so please don't waste your time!

Now, even though I have received my own Pandora, and love it greatly, it is very sad to see that more have not shipped out yet. My unit is only as good as the community that supports it, and right now the community is less than 1000. Although this current situation sucks greatly, I can understand how and why the current holdups are neccasary. Out of the 700 or so shipped, many have had problems and needed to be returned for repair. And even though mine didn't have huge problems, it did have some hiccups(spongy A button, bow at the bottom of lcd, ect). Some members have even had to send their unit back twice. Now those are very unacceptable numbers. Microsoft has had a high return rate with the 360, but they can afford to throw money at their problems and I would say they have lost millions over the years due to a major design flaw.

The team really needs to perfect production at this level, so this project can excel in the future. But if they can't produce any faster than the current level, sadly my own unit will become an extinct dinosaur very soon, and it really won't matter that I was one of the first to receive it.

Chris

Back