Whats Going On With Gbax

Okay, so we do know
1. Sony sued all British Importers
2. Craig is not selling the PSP anymore since a while, but redirect
3. He's probably not allowed to talk about anything which is PSP related.

That's a reason your eMails won't get replies (I'm in good contact with craig and still do get replies).

As there's not much more to sell at the moment as everybody is on holidays and everybody wants a PSP, he may want to give the gpx2 a decent start and maybe redo the GBAX page at the same time.

That's a good reason for what he's doing :)

EvilDragon posted on Aug 9 2005 at 08:19 PM said:
Okay, so we do know
1. Sony sued all British Importers
2. Craig is not selling the PSP anymore since a while, but redirect
3. He's probably not allowed to talk about anything which is PSP related.

That's a reason your eMails won't get replies (I'm in good contact with craig and still do get replies).

As there's not much more to sell at the moment as everybody is on holidays and everybody wants a PSP, he may want to give the gpx2 a decent start and maybe redo the GBAX page at the same time.

That's a good reason for what he's doing :)

So why did they sue? Because it's not officially released in the U.K. yet? And do we have any idea of what the outcome will be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, the same reason why they also sued LikSang, etc.
They don't want the machine sold anywhere before it's officially released there.

They want 2500 Pound for every PSP sold by the british retailers - which apparently did ruin a few :(

EvilDragon posted on Aug 9 2005 at 02:23 PM said:
They don't want the machine sold anywhere before it's officially released there.

They want 2500 Pound for every PSP sold by the british retailers - which apparently did ruin a few :(

Thats 4,468 us dollars... thats screwed up. sony is gay.

EvilDragon posted on Aug 9 2005 at 09:23 PM said:

I bet GBAX has sold alot of PSPs. At that amount it looks like Sony would sue GBAX right out of business. If that happens it will be bad for the GPx2 as well as Craig was going to be a major seller of them. Also Craig was going to go to GPH to make some important suggestions for the new system, so much for that now that he is tussling with Sony. Big bad Sony picking on the little guy, fucking things up.

I belive the link actually ends in .html not .htm I did notice though that the checkout process uses a script called "checkoutx.pl" which looks exactly like the old GBAX homemade checkout script... is that just a coincidence? doesn't seem to suggest its a _just_ a simple redirect at all ...

eg:

http://203.132.196.28/psp/checkoutx.pl

http://www.gbax.com/checkoutx.pl

http://l33t.spod.org/ratx/gp32/mirrors/200...-10-oldgbax.jpg ( taken from webarchive )

google for checkoutx.pl and you find only references to it being on GBAX's site...

SHK's site also used a script called psh.pl - same as GBAX....

Yup, I think next time you click on a link at gbax and it says "You do not have to pay VAT", simply close down your browser, or go elsewhere. For some people however, I think this will be the last time they place an order with them.

Regardless of what Sony has said or done, I'm still amazed at how people got treated that bought the (unknowingly to them) PSP from HK via GBAX - it's like the GBAX staff were told to not say anything about the SuccessHK website whatsoever, so you either got no response at all, or a response completely different from what you asked (eg. you asked why it was being shipped from HK, and if there was any import charges, and got the reply "It's been shipped - you should receive it soon.").

There is really no excuse for this kind of practice.

RATX: The merchants ID was also strange - always GBPSPX0001. Sounds like a code for "GBAX PSP", dont you think? Also, don't forget that SHK send out tracking numbers, and order IDs etc (as it states on there website), and GBAX mysteriously knew the state of your order, suggesting that these emails were rerouted to GBAX, and hence the reason nobody heard anything...

Well, they clearly ARE NOT ALLOWED to talk about that nor reply to eMails.
Sony did forbid this to the retailers in UK, and as Sony already won the court, it may lead to complete ruin if they do this.

Imagine Sony just ordered a PSP themselves at the store to find out if they really don't say a word (and I can imagine Sony is doing this... they are mad like hell at the moment).

Just look at the times craig is online here - he reads the threads here, replies some mythical stuff, telling us he may not tell us more about it... because he can't.

Knowing him pretty well, I'm sure he's trying all he can to get the still undelivered PSPs to his customers, though he's not allowed talking about it.

But you all know Sony also sued Lik-Sang - it may be possible that NO retailer worldwide will sell the PSP before the official start anymore - and what could craig do? He can't talk about it, can't even tell the people it won't be delivered... he's a nice guy, but he can't do miracles.

And craig vs. Sony - who do you think would win?

it may be udnerstandable from his point of view to act like this, but for the customers its a complete ripoff.

I cant see why they pull something like this, he should have known how it ends.

Gues i wont even buy my gpx2 anymore from him but search for another retailer.

What were GBAX supposed to do? I think the minimum they could have done with punters is level with them and pay the import VAT out of their commission made on each PSP.

I agree with Vimacs though, its understandable why they did this as a company.

EvilDragon posted on Aug 10 2005 at 03:20 PM said:
Well, they clearly ARE NOT ALLOWED to talk about that nor reply to eMails.
Sony did forbid this to the retailers in UK, and as Sony already won the court, it may lead to complete ruin if they do this.

That's fair enough. However, He was selling PSPs directly from his site, and then suddenly stopped selling them for no reason. Fair enough. Then all of sudden he starts selling them again. No where did he mention that the second time round people would actually be buying them from a completely different company in a completely different part of the world. There's a big difference between the UK and HK !

Emails inquiring about the PSPs to GBAX (before sale) came back with positive results ("Yes, they come with a 12 month warranty" etc). However, after purchase, they completely change and seem like they don't want to speak to you any more.

Now people are left with import charges which GBAX say are nothing to do with them (even if you get a reply at all), and useless warranty's, as nobody is going to want to send there PSP back to HK.

In short, they were tricked into thinking they were buying from a UK company, and tricked into thinking they could send the console back to a UK address if it went wrong.

If all they did was "Ok, we are sorry for what we did, let us pay the import charges for you", then it would be totally different story, but all we are getting is the cold shoulder - "It's got nothing to do with us".

Hey, maybe they could could give the people who bought the HK PSPs a discount on the GPX2 ? I think most people would find that acceptable, and would be good publicity for there new launch :)

Well, yeah, the only thing not nice was the problem with the redirecting and the import taxes.
I have no idea why he did that... maybe Sony sued him already and made him pay and he simply NEEDED the money (and forgot about the VAT in the haste).

Well, AFTER the sueing, he's not allowed to talk about that, so he can't even tell about warranty or anything... he simply has to ignore every mail with the word PSP in it :(

Bad for the customers, but that was exactly was Sony wanted: Destroy all the mean retailers who sold imported PSPs...

Back