What You Want Out Of The Pandora

Gaming Based Functionality you want most

• I'd like some Homebrew Games.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emulated Games for me.

• I'd like to write games for the Pandora.

• Eeh, I'll just use it as a UMPC or for multimedia.

• Total voters

AireTamStorm

Unix Addict
Website
Visit site
Since we're coming up on the hopeful release of this device, I'd just like to see what everyone expects to get out of the Pandora.
There seems to be a ton of possible uses for the device, and I've come up with a few categories to work with.

Personally, I want to get back into the programming scene. I had a really bad run-in with .NET development and haven't coded since. Recently I'm getting back into it, bought a few standard C / Linux programming books, and even an OpenGL book. I've got a couple of ideas and I'd really like to be able to exploit them with the Pandora as my starting point. Hopefully I'll get at least 1 small app or game out in a couple of months :D. That being said, I really look forward to PS1 / SNES emulation, decent video playback, and just having a solid Linux handheld.

Solid streamlined emulation and an open file system gui that I can do what I want with

Sphinxter said:
Clam emulation.
clam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a Linux UMPC that I also can play my favourite games of yore on, as well as use as a PMP and an ebook-reader.

Pandora might actually shine in that latter role, as I have the anti-social and unhealthy habit of reading while I eat, for which a clamshell seems like the ideal solution. I now use my N800, but the stand is somewhat limited in the positions it allows the device to take, not even mentioning that the Pandora's battery life would put the N800 to shame...

I'd like to play emulated games, homebrew games, video, and music.

In addition, I plan to set up a speech-recognition moblogging system.

• UMPC - Web Surfing, Email, chat, VOIP, light office tasks (note taking, simple word processing / spreadsheet stuff - probably the last two on Google Docs), blogging, twitter, VNC (fit that desktop in the palm of your hand)
  • Game - Emulation! Native stuff would be great (the only way to take advantage of the hardware, really) - but just having a NES/SNES/GB/GBA/Genesis/Atari2600/5200/7800/PS1 in my pocket is great! Plus, playing systems I've never played before - wonderswan, NeoGeo, etc. - will be great too.
  • PMP - The High-Res Screen is *MADE* for watching movies. And two SD slots means unlimited memory potential - so hours and hours of music - mostly Final Fantasy music - will be played.
  • Geek Cred! Are you kidding me? Homebrew - UMPC - Retro - Linux... If only it came with the full history of Firefly and Battlestar Galatica could it raise my rep among the tech set. I'm lovin' it!
Edit - tried to fix the bbcode... which i hate more than ever. just let us use HTML for cryin' out loud!

YOu add multiple options for the first one.. Ill be using it mainly for emulation AND makeing games, and most game makers probably play games too

I hope I can have more fun with this. It felt to me like some emulator fans were pushing anything new to the background - I'll try harder on my own next time - feels like an opportunity to take.

I will be using the Pandora for:
  • Emulators, especially Playstation, SNES and CPS2 (and 3 hopefully).
  • Music and Video, definitely
  • Ebooks. Got a lot of stuff I want to read.
  • Improving my Linux powers. I'm not going to make the switch on my desktop, but a little Linux box in my pocket? Sign me up.
  • Impressing the crap out of people.

PlopperZ said:
Why Isn't there an 'All of the above' selection?
Question is "what you want most"

Mods, may kindly I ask you to fix:
"Eeh, I'll just use is as a UMPC or for multimedia." => "Eeh, I'll just use it as a UMPC or for multimedia.
"It will my swiss army knife. At work, home, everywhere." => "It will be my swiss army knife. At work, home, everywhere."

I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be using Pandora for:
-PS1 games (Final Fantasy IX ftw!)
-Some homebrew games/apps
-Video
-Internet
-eBooks
-A reason to sell my eeepc to my sister for a rip-off price

I'll use it for everything it can do.

In fact, I think the greatest aspect of Pandora is how versatile it can potentially be.

I am really looking forward to it because it will allow me to have a very powerful emulating device in my pocket. I will also use it a lot for surfing the web.

What I'd use the pandora for:
- Emulation: PS1, GBA, SNES, hopefully N64, doubtfully DS, older systems as well
- Music player: I won't be able to fit my whole library, but it'd be sweet to have access to 16-32 gigs of music (yea, it could hold more, but 32gb sd cards are expensive). It'd also be really neat if I could stream music from my music library onto it (which is quite possible)
- Movies: Love to be able to bring a couple movies with me and easily hook it up to a TV and output them.
- Browsing: I would like to not have to use my PC for anything but school-/job stuff and games the pandora can't handle. I assume I could attach a fullsize usb keyboard if I really wanted to do work, but I still think it might be difficult to write a paper on that screen that small.
- Homebrew: I'm hoping to check out what the homebrew scene has to offer, and perhaps even work on submitting some stuff myself

So to answer your survey, pretty much everything is equally important to me

Back