What Would Happen If Windows Ran On An Arm Cpu?

Dudes, windows is already ported to ARM. It's called windows CE. And of course, it's a piece of garbage...
Anyway, M$ doesn't scare anyone anymore, so their OS are dying fast now. No need to waste energy talking about it.
Unfortunately, most users switch to apple, which is an even more closed brand/platform.
That's where we have an important role to play, installing and speaking around about Ubuntu or some other easy Linux.
BTW the next Loongson chinese MIPS processor will have about ~50 qemu hardware instructions enhancement for x86 emulation ^^.

Linux-SWAT said:
Dudes, windows is already ported to ARM. It's called windows CE. And of course, it's a piece of garbage...
Anyway, M$ doesn't scare anyone anymore, so their OS are dying fast now. No need to waste energy talking about it.
Unfortunately, most users switch to apple, which is an even more closed brand/platform.
That's where we have an important role to play, installing and speaking around about Ubuntu or some other easy Linux.
BTW the next Loongson chinese MIPS processor will have about ~50 qemu hardware instructions enhancement for x86 emulation ^^.

I seem to recall that Microsoft bought Windows CE from some company (obiously with a different name) and have been haking it into shape ever since.

Edit: Not true.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi :)

What would happen if Windows ran on an ARM CPU ?

I'm not objective on that matter as I left the Microsoft boat years ago :)

I have to use Vista at work though, and it's just plain **HELL**, to a point where I wonder how a company could release such a flawed OS to the public, and how computer vendors could bundle it with their products ?

Where I work, brand new computers with Vista run slower than over 10 years old machines running Linux, and it's just not acceptable !

Seriously, this thread has everything to become another "Linux vs Windows" flame war, so let's keep on topic :)

A good question would be: which proprietary/closed source/Microsoft only application would be nice to have on an ARM powered device ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Um no they don't.

Windows still has a 90% share in end user machines - Apple is only 2% ahead of linux. Apple's share has increased a couple of percent more than linux in the last few years, but 6% is still very low.

On topic - if you want to run windows apps, get a netbook. Even a cheap one (like the original aspire or eee) will run XP fine and will cost you <£100 these days. I have one and it runs XP/Ubuntu depending on what I need from it.

Loonie said:
Pleng said:
Yes you can. And Microsoft Office? .NET apps? Windows Media Centre?

What have they to do with "Open Source software such as GIMP, Open Office and Firefox [being] ported"?

If you read it in the context of the conversation, an awful lot.

Linux-SWAT said:

No it isn't, no it's not, and yes it is.

Microsoft would never do that again. MS used to provide ports for both Alpha and Power PC back in the day. Both of which have been subsequently canceled do to not needing to anymore. As I can recall it was more of a way of getting Mac users to switch to Windows than it was about actually using the hardware. Not sure why they were allowing it to be installed on Alpha, probably the fact that it was Windows NT is some sort of a clue.

So in short, having done that I doubt very much that they'll do that again. It's just not worth the resources to do except possibly for netbooks, UMPCs and phones.

Magic Sam said:
I wonder how a company could release such a flawed OS to the public, and how computer vendors could bundle it with their products ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Monopoly.

Pleng said:
Linux-SWAT said:

No it isn't, no it's not, and yes it is.
Technically speaking you're correct, if I'm not mistaken they renamed it some years back. And technically they didn't port Windows to it, they ported the Windows paradigm to the ARM architecture. And yes, it is indeed a piece of garbage. OPT is going to have to work very hard indeed to beat their "high" water mark. Perhaps if they pound back enough tall boys they can hit the Ballmer peak, then pound so more and hit the Win ME point.

One of the worst things you can do is try to bring too much of the Desktop paradigm to the handheld market. It just doesn't work very well, if you don't have a lot of pixels to waste. (Gee isn't it obvious which modes I'm going to be pretty much ignoring once I get my Pandora)

Pleng said:

Er... if you say so.

Linux-SWAT said:
Dudes, windows is already ported to ARM. It's called windows CE. And of course, it's a piece of garbage..

I agree with this statement.
I guess the main point is that the result (which we can call "WinCE for ARM") would be an OS with no installable software.

The current effort is far superior obviously.

A new Windows for ARM, Windows Phone 7, is releasing soon.

It requires a 1Ghz ARM processor, though.

If Windows XP was ever ported to ARM for use, I'd be surprised. I'd much prefer open sourcing Windows 95 than a port.

And on the fact that Microsoft doesn't scare anyone anymore, that's their marketing. They don't want to be seen as big and evil. They've had enough hate thrown at them from everyone. Now its time to step back, play it safe and get the "good guy" image back.

Apple is surely to be the next mass "hated" techie company.

Microsoft can still ruin anyone's day in a blink of an eye, but that's not what they want. IBM use to be hated, then Microsoft, and maybe now its going to be Apple. IBM and Microsoft won't harass many these days, and for good reason. Neither has mastered the "interweb bloggers".

Loonie said:
Pleng said:

Er... if you say so.

OK it's pretty simple but I'll help you out:

I said you will have .NET apps, MS Office, and OS apps such as Firefox & GIMP

The response I got was that you already have OO apps such as Firefox & GIMP

That left .NET and Office unaccounted for, hence my response.

Simples.

Back