What Would Happen If Windows Ran On An Arm Cpu?

cinicraft

Still Fresh
Arm processors are getting extremely popular and are starting to step into netbook territory. There has been a couple articles regaurding this on the net. How would the programs run If windows xp was on an arm processor?

cinicraft said:
Arm processors are getting extremely popular and are starting to step into netbook territory. There has been a couple articles regaurding this on the net. How would the programs run If windows xp was on an arm processor?

You mean, the same programs you already have on windows xp? I think they wouldn't work. They'd have to be recompiled too.

Last edited by a moderator:
cinicraft said:

They would not run, the programs are still x86.

2kba58f20bbe.jpg

;)

SomeGuy99 said:

+1

a new unstable windows has no chance against a well working linux or darwin (osx) on that platform.

LeChuck87 said:
a new unstable windows has no chance against a well working linux or darwin (osx) on that platform.
Is that why windows is still the most widely used operating system today?

edit- well maybe you're right, an arm based version of windows would suck..

Mofokubik said:
LeChuck87 said:

most widely used desktop operating system. right. have a look at the mobile- and server-market, it's a different deal.

i've nothing against windows btw.

Linux is certainly the most widely used Pandora operating system. That's all that matters folks.

WizardStan said:
LeChuck87 said:
mali said:

put that stuff down, talk's over. ;D
Or at least share. :(

I've been watching that gif for hours (not really, just pretend I have). He seems to:

-Have an endless supply of Popcorn

-Doesn't seem to get any fatter or sick

-Doesn't seem to need to crap

-He might crap, but it's out of shot

-Is he crapping on something or someone?

-Is he shooting the crap directly behind him?

-Does he have some kind of crap pipe?

I don't think he's eating it at all; I think he brings it to his mouth and pretends to eat. This is the only explanation!

EDIT: I think there's a pipe going from his arse to the popcorn bag. The popcorn never gets digested, just goes back into the bag.

craigix said:
cinicraft said:

They would not run, the programs are still x86.

This "there'd be no applications available" is a little misguided.

If Microsoft ported Windows to ARM you can be certain that they'd port Microsoft Office. Anything written for the .NET framework out of the box, without the need for a recompile. And it would be a matter of weeks before Open Source software such as GIMP, Open Office and Firefox was ported.

So productivity wise, there'd be no software issues. Games, on the other hand, is a totally different issue.

Pleng said:
This "there'd be no applications available" is a little misguided.

If Microsoft ported Windows to ARM you can be certain that they'd port Microsoft Office. Anything written for the .NET framework out of the box, without the need for a recompile. And it would be a matter of weeks before Open Source software such as GIMP, Open Office and Firefox was ported.

So productivity wise, there'd be no software issues. Games, on the other hand, is a totally different issue.

Not neccessarily. Microsoft software: would depend on the purpose of porting XP in the first place.. If it was to compete in the netbook market, then probably they would port this stuff as well (eventually, they might still start with just a browser and a crippled OS).

Third party (opensource) stuff: it depends entirely on how popular the new architecture ended up being. If people care enough, then this stuff will be ported eventually. Probably not in a matter of weeks though unless the developers of the opensource apps happen to love the new system for some reason.

Also, you haven't near summed up productivity. Companies' dependance on legacy applications that you have not listed above is legendary.

Loonie said:
But you can already have GIMP, Open Office and Firefox.

Yes you can. And Microsoft Office? .NET apps? Windows Media Centre?

IIRC Microsoft bought Connectix out. Those guys made the most impressive x86 emulator I've ever seen.

If Microsoft ever support another architecture, they have the people to do an emu.

Was the Xbox emulator on the 360 running at a low level? Not quite the same (more horse power than the target machine).

Pleng said:

What have they to do with "Open Source software such as GIMP, Open Office and Firefox [being] ported"?

Mofokubik said:

There's not only about Internet servers. Remember that most of routers, media servers, printservers, network storages, etc. runs lightweight linux distributions, or other UNIXes.

edit- well maybe you're right, an arm based version of windows would suck..

There are ARM based versions of Windows CE/Windows Mobile. They might not be perfect, but are at least usable.

Pleng said:
media center? really?

Back