What was the most disappointing game you ever bought

So difficult games are disappointing for you?
Of course. I don't want to waste 2 minutes (repeated 20 times or worse) tracing my steps through each level and then dying, when I could be enjoying another game such as Golden Sun, where I would have been making actual progress and maybe even getting a story, too.

That's also why I got bored with Guitar Hero II. I was okay on Easy and Medium, but the game suddenly became impossible for me on Hard, with way too many chords coming way too fast, and instead of playing I just tried to hit a few of the big chords until my life ran down and I was kicked off. Practice Mode didn't do anything, the game just required coordination that I did not have the years of practice or dedication or whatever to develop.

I did enjoy GHII on Normal, it just wasn't rewarding to try and do the same songs on Hard.

Gran Turismo 4 was also very disappointing, because I thought it was an arcade racing game, because it's a PLAYstation 2, right? So I'm gonna PLAY this game and have some FUN. Neither of those things happened. I think I spent like 3 hours on it the first night I owned it, and I've almost never touched it again. It's too realistic and I can't even keep the cars on the road, much less keep up with the AI. And real-life racing is very boring. You drive around a couple miles of track hundreds of times, trying not to make a tiny mistake and lose everything. What a terrible idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably Super Mario Advance for the GBA.

I was thinking, "Yeah I'm gonna see what all the hype for the Mario games is about" but it was too hard and I couldn't finish it.

And I couldn't give a damn, because there were almost no checkpoints and I got sick of traversing the level to die somewhere near the end.

Mario 64 DS was way better.

Ace Combat 5 was a little disappointing after I realized that I was just going to be flying planes and shooting things for the entire game, and that I wasn't really great at it.

After trying to raid the ice fortress or whatever (I can't even remember) about 50 times, I gave up. I'd already spent too much effort just getting to where I was (somewhere past the Hrimfaxi) and no amount of story would justify the continued grinding.
So difficult games are disappointing for you?

SAlso, wasn't Super Mario Advance based on the non Japanese SM2? A lot of people say that isn't Mario as it wasn't made by Shigeru Miyamoto. The people that say that don't realize that neither was the Japanese SM2, Mr. Miyamoto and the rest of the team that made SMB was working on the first Zelda game so all the Japanese SM2 was is sprites from the first SMB remixed by no one that worked on the first SMB. Well, maybe a few people that worked on SMB worked on SMB2 but the famous ones didn't.

Anyway it was the only Mario game I had for the GBA and I passed it and liked it. It wasn't that hard.

SM2 was doki doki panic, with mario characters IIRC. They mustve been like, haha yeah stupid round eye eat this up, if we put mario in it. Its one of my fav marios though. Just because it was different. No American kid had heard of doki doki panic back then. It was mario to us.

Ace Combat 5 was a little disappointing after I realized that I was just going to be flying planes and shooting things for the entire game, and that I wasn't really great at it.

After trying to raid the ice fortress or whatever (I can't even remember) about 50 times, I gave up. I'd already spent too much effort just getting to where I was (somewhere past the Hrimfaxi) and no amount of story would justify the continued grinding.
I remember liking that game. I'm more into arcade flying games than realistic ones. It took effort to get the plane to stall (but that could have been the difficulty). I didn't like the last level, though. The whole "fly through a tunnel with a bogey on your tail after 10 minutes of dogfights. And if you crash, you have to start allllllllllll over," thing bothered me. Plus sometimes the voiceovers were annoying.

Worst game I ever played: Commander Blood. I've heard Captain Blood is a classic, but I didn't really like this one. At the beginning, it's all like, "Hey, you need to do all this so I can see the Big Bang." And you get to see these teasers of the adventure you're going on. And halfway through the game, they're like "Game Over! The 'Big Bang' is a nightclub. You didn't know that?" And those teasers? They were parts from the closing FMV.

^^ Doki Doki Panic was a pretty good game in Japan, we're lucky we got it even if it was with Mario, and those Mario sprites were at least original. I still think at least we got a different game, SMB2 in Japan was just a game that used SMB sprites.

Shigeru Miyamoto said in an interview once that he wished he worked more on the Japanese version of SMB2, he had a passing role in it just so Nintendo could put his name on it, but he didn't have much input on it. If you look at the Mario games you realize Japan's SMB2 is the least innovative of the bunch, it was basically just SMB hacked.

I never played the Japanese version of SMB2, but Ive seen video, and screenshots. Looks like SMB with some new levels. I remember being like, what the hell is this when my friend got it for christmas. LOL, after a couple weeks I was hooked. SMB3 is best NES mario IMO. SMB2 is second. Oh yeah, metal gear was a horrible game when I got it. Sorry, Im a big MG fan but not NES MG.

SMB2 Japan was brought over here on the Super Mario All Stars on the SNES as the Lost Levels.

^^ Doki Doki Panic was a pretty good game in Japan, we're lucky we got it even if it was with Mario, and those Mario sprites were at least original. I still think at least we got a different game, SMB2 in Japan was just a game that used SMB sprites.
It's worth noting that the Western Super Mario Bros. 2 is altered considerably from Doki Doki Panic! in its gameplay - for example, you don't have to get every single character through every single level, and things like that (there are other differences, but annoyingly they're not coming to mind right now).

For the record, if my memory serves me correctly, Miyamoto actually did work on Doki Doki Panic!, by the by. ;)

Also, the Western Super Mario Bros. 2 was released in Japan during the Famicom era (they didn't have to wait until Super Mario Collection, which is what All-Stars was called there), as "Super Mario USA". It had some really cool box and label artwork, and came on a pink cartridge.

Yeah, I seem to recall Miyamoto was involved in doki doki panic, but not Japanese SM2. I dunno, been a while since I read about it, to remember such details honestly.

is there anything you dont know Prometheus?? can you tell me next weeks lottory numbers?!

dissapointing games:

gauntlet seven sorrows

c.o.d world at war

halo3

bought a game in box version of contra for the nes in a second hand store! turns out there was some bible game called joshua in the case.....i cried inside for days, and eventually tossed the box because i couldnt stand seeing the dissapointment. should have kept it.

now i have 2 contra cartridges

Oh what was that stupid NES game that told your fortune, and had a sun face on the front? It was pretty damn bad. I mean seriously, a game that tells you fortunes....wow. I remember having that one, and chucking it around the room at one point. It wasnt worth the plastic it was encased in.

Found it. Taboo the sixth sense. LOL, yeah it was a tarot card game. I dont know how I ended up with it. Pretty lame. No one ever wanted tradesies on it, I couldnt get rid of it....it sucked.

Taboo_-_The_Sixth_Sense_Title_Screen.png

Oh yeah, metal gear was a horrible game when I got it. Sorry, Im a big MG fan but not NES MG.

I could never really get into the NES Metal Gear either, but I really loved Metal Gear Solid. Kojima said that his favorite version of Metal Gear was for the MSX, which I've never played. I'll have to do that. Have you played the MSX version?

c.o.d world at war

Oh, my. Did you not play the Nazi Zombies mode? My friends and I were addicted to that for a whole year. That's basically all we did.

Also, call me a blasphemer if you'd like, but the US version of Super Mario Brothers 2 was my favorite SMB, whether or not it was Doki Doki Panic in a pretty wrapper.

Oh yeah, metal gear was a horrible game when I got it. Sorry, Im a big MG fan but not NES MG.

I could never really get into the NES Metal Gear either, but I really loved Metal Gear Solid. Kojima said that his favorite version of Metal Gear was for the MSX, which I've never played. I'll have to do that. Have you played the MSX version?

Nope heard it was the bomb though. IIRC Kojima had nothing to do with the NES version, or at least very little. He was devoting his time to MSX. It looks waaay better in screenshots. Looks like a game I wouldve actually enjoyed. Like other MG titles.

For the record, if my memory serves me correctly, Miyamoto actually did work on Doki Doki Panic!, by the by. ;)
Hey, you're right! Can't believe I didn't know that. It is under the wiki page of Super Mario Brothers 2.

I just get upset when people act like snobs saying OUR SMB2 sucks and Japan got the real one. Well, the real one sucked, it didn't sell well in Japan, well, not as well as other Mario games so you know something was up with that. If you read the wiki page you'll find this:

Super Mario Bros. 2 sold ten million copies, and was the third highest-selling game ever released on the Nintendo Entertainment System at that time. Nintendo Power listed Super Mario Bros. 2 as the eighth best Nintendo Entertainment System video game, mentioning that in spite of not being originally a Mario game, it was able to stand on its own merits and its unique takes on the series' trademark format. Super Mario Bros. 2 was ranked 108th out of 200 of the "Greatest Games of Their Time" by Electronic Gaming Monthly.

When it was re-released in 2001 as Super Mario Advance it received generally positive reviews, garnering an aggregate score of 84% on Metacritic. One reviewer concluded "all nostalgia and historical influence aside, Super Mario Bros. 2 is still a game worth playing on the merits of its gameplay alone", also saying that "the only reason you may not want to pick it up is if ... you already own it in another form." However, GameSpot thought that Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World would have been a better choice for a launch game considering their respective popularity; both titles were eventually also remade as part of the Super Mario Advance series. Conversely, IGN praised the choice, calling it "one of the most polished and creative platformers of the era". The game was named one of the NES best games ever by IGN, saying that the game offers greater diversity in graphics and gameplay than the original, making it a great bridge game between the other NES Mario titles. The game was ranked as the ninth worst game in the Mario game series by ScrewAttack; they said that while it was a good game, it felt like a lie because they weren't playing the real Super Mario Bros. 2. They also named the music played in the battle against the final boss Wart in the eight best 8-Bit Boss Themes

So a few negatives there in the reception area but those arguments just seem like they didn't like it because it wasn't a Mario game, not because it wasn't fun. So why do the snobs claim that SMB2 sucked? I remember before anyone my age knew we got a hacked version of Doki Doki Panic rather than SMB2 everyone loved it. Now the elitist video game snobs say it sucks because it is not the real SMB2. I know they didn't feel that way when they were 8.

I've played the SMB2 Japanese version and it sucks but I've always wanted to play a translated rom of Doki Doki Panic! but that rom is hard to come by. I'd bet money that is is way better than the Japanese SMB2!

NOTE: I'm not saying anyone in this thread is a snob, just saying I've encountered people that are. Now back to the original topic: 'What was the most disappointing game you ever bought?'

Oh what was that stupid NES game that told your fortune, and had a sun face on the front? It was pretty damn bad. I mean seriously, a game that tells you fortunes....wow. I remember having that one, and chucking it around the room at one point. It wasnt worth the plastic it was encased in.

Found it. Taboo the sixth sense. LOL, yeah it was a tarot card game. I dont know how I ended up with it. Pretty lame. No one ever wanted tradesies on it, I couldnt get rid of it....it sucked.
That would be a great party game now-a-days though. It might be worth money now also just because it is probably rare. I don't know of many kids who would pick that up when they see it: 'weeeee, Tarot for 8 year olds! Can we get it Mom?!?'

EDIT: Yeah, after seeing the game play this is a game that you would want to play once and then never pick up agian. I don't even know if I would want to show it to anyone after playing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPEEkbmy9M8

This is the real reason Nintendo sold RARE to Microsoft. Old wounds did not heal in this case.

Well, I didn't play the Japanese SMB2, but it seems like most of the Mario games are pretty lame aside from 64 and 64 DS.

There's something I can't stand about the art style of the older games, and Sunshine had really bad controls, and I don't actually own a GameCube or Wii so yeah.

The most disappointing game I have ever bought was Turok 3, easily on of the worst shooters ever made. After the awesome game, in spite of it's shortcomings, that was Turok 2 the game was an absolute let down. Even now, I can emulate the game at a solid 60 fps but that doesn't save it. The game tries to push the barrier graphically but I feel that it fails totally. It looks inferior to Turok 2, sometimes worse than Turok 1. A horrible game that I would recommend people avoid.

The most disappointing game I have ever bought was Turok 3, easily on of the worst shooters ever made. After the awesome game, in spite of it's shortcomings, that was Turok 2 the game was an absolute let down. Even now, I can emulate the game at a solid 60 fps but that doesn't save it. The game tries to push the barrier graphically but I feel that it fails totally. It looks inferior to Turok 2, sometimes worse than Turok 1. A horrible game that I would recommend people avoid.
We had a Turok game, my brother got it because he liked the comic book. It was for the N64 and was the only game we owned that needed the graphic boost thingie for the 64. I remember it looked really cool but at the time I built my own PC and was playing Quake II, or I think it was anyway, and after using a mouse and keyboard to play a FPS game you can't really jump into using a game pad again.

Anyway, from what I remember it had good graphics but the only weapon was bow and you just got different arrows for the bow. My little brother thought that was a cool idea but I thought it was lame. That coupled with a not being able to use a mouse and keyboard killed it for me.

Beyblade V Force for Gamecube.

Overworld was way too tiny. :angry:

Back