What Should I Do? :s

borjadvance

Still Fresh
You know, i'm not very good with computers and, besides, I have no experience whatsoever with linux, compilers and the like... my question is... could someone like me really use a gp2x?. I mean, I could do the one updater or the other by following instructions but... do you think someone with few to none experience could enjoy this machine?, is it really that difficult to use as I see around the posts? :S thank you very much minnasan¡

You know, i'm not very good with computers and, besides, I have no experience whatsoever with linux, compilers and the like... my question is... could someone like me really use a gp2x?. I mean, I could do the one updater or the other by following instructions but... do you think someone with few to none experience could enjoy this machine?, is it really that difficult to use as I see around the posts? :S thank you very much minnasan¡
What do you want to do with it?
As with most things on computers, it is just to do with being able to follow out exact instructions, and to be able to know what the right questions to ask are when you have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I think the really important things for me are console emus (snes, gb, nes...) and video. If those 2 things go good, that's all a ask from it. Thank you again guys.

If you are going to buy a GP2X it helps if you are the sort of person that is interested in the gp2x scene. Thats what makes it fun. I don't even have one yet, and I have been here for ages!

You don't need any experience with coding, compilers, etc. to use the GP2X. Linux knowledge helps if you want to do some tweaking of scripts, but it is not required to be able to run anything.

I would say if you consider yourself somewhat of a "power user", you will be able to do anything just fine. By "power user" I mean, when you have a problem with your computer or you want to change its behavior, you can fix it yourself or find out through the web, books, or help files. If you need to have the system administrator do everything for you and you never understand what he does, then a GP2X is probably not for you.

Using the GP2X involves a lot of learning as you go and remembering along the way.

Here is an interesting way to guage you, Do you still use IE without knowing about the alternatives and why users use those?

Sure, I have thousands of problems with things along the way and I always get through somehow... I mean, I'm afraid that, being this clumsy, I might brick my gp2x on the first software update or something. Maybe it's a problem of reading too much into the forums. You hear about broken screens, broken firmware, broken everything... I'm a bit afraid :S...

P.D.: no no, I don't use IE anymore I use firefox instead but, you know, just because i find it muuuuch more comfortable. Even if I have some isssues with plugins you know

Well, you passed the 'naive PC user test'.

I think you be okay for the GP2X but when new things start coming that can potentially break your GP"X, wait a while until it is deemed clear by other users.

And order a DaveC (another member) joystick cap if you order one now, it is miles better then the stock stick.

OR

Wait till GPH start properly launching their product in March (not confirmed) hopefull with a better stick and firmware and see how it goes then.

I'm also seriously considering a GP2X i'm currently a GP32 user and have just returned to these forums after just over a year of not posting here. What i want to kno is how bad is the standard stick? Cus i really want to buy a GP2X but i don't want to spend nearly £200 on a handheld with an awful control system. :unsure:

thank you very much all of you. Yeah I think I might give it a try after all. You know I very much love the concept of the machine, even if still had some big questions. Problem is, the official release will most probably take ages to ocurr here in Spain (if it does, the gp32 did but you know, it did not sell very well). Yeah everyone is speaking of the stick, but somehow, with these things, you never get to believe how bad something is until you suffer it yourself :D

I'm also seriously considering a GP2X i'm currently a GP32 user and have just returned to these forums after just over a year of not posting here. What i want to kno is how bad is the standard stick? Cus i really want to buy a GP2X but i don't want to spend nearly £200 on a handheld with an awful control system. :unsure:
Its ok, some people can stand it (i couldn't) but DaveC's is miles better (~£7). Again, I would wait for confirmation if there will be a cap change later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say go for it. most of the emu's and applications are a breeze if you read the readme files thoroughly. DrMDx is near perfect, full speed with sound, Sonic blazes through the levels just as fast as he did on my TV all those years ago. SNES is still in its infancy so there's a few issues but the knowledge that it's being worked on by a competant developer is enough to keep my hopes up that it'll be perfect as well, in time.

The only emu that's given me any grief has been MAME and that's probably more to do with converting the roms to version 0.34 via clrmame coupled with my stunning inability to figure out its various menus and settings.

With movies, on the other hand, this thing is very picky. Right now you're stuck with AVI encoded with DiVx or XVid (correct me if I'm wrong, that was my understanding) but you can find great re-encoders on SourceForge.

The absolute best thing about the 2X I've found has been the community. Any question I've had about setting up, installing, skinning, encoding or emulating anything has been answered on these boards.

yeah, i think the community is really doing its best. I thank you all again, you are really giving me courage I hadn't myself¡¡ :D

The community was always the best thing about the GP32, always very helpful etc and i'd really like to get back into tht with the GP2X i'm just worried about this joystick lol. Perhaps i should wait until the "official release" whenever tht will be, shame ive never been very good at waiting lol.

im by no means good at computers.i wouldnt have a clue how to make/edit a script (whatever a script is :D ) but i have found it relativly easy so far. the only problems i had was some emulators were not working, but that was down to my sdl libary not installing correctly.
so go for it!

in general i dont find the stock cap to bad.its only in the drmd menu (anyone else get really annoyed at it skipping around?) and when playing tilematch it becomes really noticable.
im going to get the davec cap and see how much better it becomes.wont be to gutted if it does not help much as its not always noticable.

Yer i have decided i am still gunna buy 1 i just can't wait (ive always been impatient lol).
I'm gunna buy a new joystick cap from DaveC i just hope he's still making them. Ive sent him a PM not entirely sure if he got it or not tho it hasnt appeard in my sent items :huh:

Ok guys you convinced me¡. I already ordered mine, its expected to arrive tomorrow¡. I'll update you when it happens. I count on you to help me and don't brick my gp2x right away ;). See you guys¡

Back