What Should I Buy If I Buy A Gp2x? Also, Is The Gp2x A Competent Musi

esprit

Still Fresh
From what I understand, if I buy a GP2X I should also buy an SD card (duh), an SD card reader for my computer (duh), rechargeable batteries, and a battery recharger. Is this true? If so, is there a particular kind of battery/recharger I should get? (I don't mean a particular brand - brand comparison I can do by myself, so I don't need to bother you all with it - just particular specifications or something.) Also, is there anything else I should buy?

My second question is if the GP2X is a competent music player. I'm a poor high school student, so I can only justify the GP2X's price to myself if I tell myself that it's also a portable music player. Does it work fine in that regard?

I hope this is the right forum. Thanks, everybody =D

It works as a music player, but don't be expecting an iPod.

As for batteries/chargers, I reccomend a smart charger with a little screen that shows the status of the battery's charge, because they have the screen and they almost always have great features that prevent overcharging and many have a restore feature that bring your batteries to near brand-new charging capacity.
For batteries, I just reccomend any NiMh battery that is 2500 ma/h or higher.

I also reccomend buying the TV-Out cable. It's only about ten bucks and it's great to be able to plug in your GP2X into a TV and practicaly turn it into a console.

its a good music player. the default music player application built in is ok but its hard for me to find and eq setting that seems "right". I would recommend using one of the user made music players such as gmu, oldplay, or craigamp, since the sound works better and they allow the creation of playlists to some degree.

When I release Craigamp2.0 I'm hoping to squeeze 10 hours of life from one set of batteries + every option I've had suggesed by users. So I hope it will compare quite well to dedicated portable music players.

When I release Craigamp2.0 I'm hoping to squeeze 10 hours of life from one set of batteries + every option I've had suggesed by users. So I hope it will compare quite well to dedicated portable music players.
So will it be able to show album art stored in ID3 tags? That is one of the main reasons that I don't use my Gp2X for music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have code to do that, however I've not seen a ipod clone which can do it so I don't know the best way of displaying it on the screen.

Mostly I think people will have the screen on auto-off anyway, but how do you recommend it should appear on the screen if it is there?

Assuming you haven't changed the interface of it, you could have a button or button combo set to toggle the display of the art. When being displayed, it could bring up a small box as shown in this edited screenshot, and have the text from the songlist simply wrap around it. (White box) Perhaps a bit larger, I dunno.

Back