Should I Buy A Gp2x

bumholesniffer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have a gp32 collecting dust these days and haven't visited this site for ages.
My main reason for this is the PSP, I have found that its homebrew has grown and grown!! So much that I cant check everthing and if I did it would probably have been updated by the time I finally have got round to it. This does however make me sad though because the gp32 was such great machine with a great community. I would like to know more about the gp2x and maybe revive my interest !!

The main reason I would like to get one is the TV-OUT, does this work with emu's, videos(especially) and how well ???. Can you use DivX without haveing to mess around ??. How good are the emus (psp kicks ass in this department, I hope gp2x can hold its ground).

Is it generally worth it if I own a homebrew friendly PSP ???

Erm... nice username... yeah...

If you liked the community with the GP32, you will like the GP2X. As for TV-Out, videos are fine, they play just as well as they do on the LCD, but at higher resolution. Most emulators work with TV-Out, although some (like DrMDx, but that can be fixed with the TV-Out fixer) have graphical problems.

As for emus, DrMDx is an amazing Genesis emu, and GnGeo is a very good NeoGeo MVS emulator (better than the PSP's, afaik). Gnuboy2X is very good for GB/GBC, no GBA emulation as of yet. GP2XMAME is also very good, or so I've heard.

Whether or not you think it's worth it is up to you.

The Gp2x scene is constantly growing and everyone is supporting eachother. In the end the psp is not a homebrew friendly machine and sony has been making it a point to make it really annoying for homebrewers. The video right now supports divx and mp3s with support for other formats (such as mpg) in the future. The video players sometimes has bugs (depending on the firmware) but has over all impressed people since it can play videos that are up to dvd quality. You can clearly see the subtitles on even low resolution videos. I haven't really played with tv out (even tho i have the cable) but from what I hear it works pretty well.

Most emulators are being updated at a super fast rate and pretty soon an impressive collection will be available. The screen is also pretty beatiful on the gp2x (Perfect 4:3 for emulators). So in the end its up to you but if you liked the gp32 community you will love the gp2x community. I just got my gp2x and I haven't regretted it one bit.

I'm not used to the PSP scene and don't know, which emus are released there but alone the NEOGEO emus on GP2X are worth the buying (in my eyes). Since you're coming from the GP32 you should know what skilled coders can do with a machine if they really want it. Indeed we've lost some great coders to the PSP but still, ppl like Skeezix, Reesy, Ryleh, Franxis, Squidge (just to name a few, I know there are a lot more outside) are still active on the GP2X and new names like critical or pepone are releasing great stuff, too.
So it's more or less a question of taste, if you like homebrew and retrogaming like on the GP32 you should get a GP2X. And don't forget about the great TV-out, so now you can play your games on TV!

I can't comment on the comparrisons with the PSP scene but for someone who has been knocking around here for long enough I would say that this is a great time for the community and that the apps for the GP2X are only going to get better and better.

We all try to be as supporttive of each other as possible and try to reign in anyone being out of order. People are constantly working on hard and software mods with great attention to detail and a real passion for it.

From what the GP32 scene was 3 years ago the community has rown and developed, there are far more possibilities with the GP2X and far more people involved, that means more ideas and more people to make the happen.

There is some great homebrew here too (Bubbletrain, Ladykiller, Vectar etc) both professional in their appearance and with great gameplay.

I know I am biased but I am no fanboy, it's just a great hobby and a nice bunch of people into it.

Right that's my four penneth chipped in. :)

Back