Should I Buy A Psu, And If So Which?

Haggis

Still Fresh
Hi

I just got my order from gp2x.co.uk, but they're out of PSUs at the moment. I've read elsewhere on this board that you're better off not using a PSU - is this the case? If so why? I just put a couple of batteries in and it chewed through them while transferring files over the USB connection, and if it's always going to do that then a PSU seems pretty much essential.

Sooo, where can I buy a PSU? I mean, I've been into a few places like Maplin and the right PSU (3V, -ve polarity, the right sized connector-doohickey) seems hard to come by. Anyone know where I can buy one that's compatible with the GP2X, be it on the internet or high street?

Cheers

I use a PSU when I'm playing/developing though the PC, saves using batteries and having to recharge them halfway though doing something.
Aside from that it's batteries all the way :)

You can get a power supply from Argos (if you're in the UK).
If I can find it I'll get the URL for it.

Haggis posted on May 31 2006 at 11:31 AM said:
Hi

I just got my order from gp2x.co.uk, but they're out of PSUs at the moment. I've read elsewhere on this board that you're better off not using a PSU - is this the case? If so why? I just put a couple of batteries in and it chewed through them while transferring files over the USB connection, and if it's always going to do that then a PSU seems pretty much essential.

Sooo, where can I buy a PSU? I mean, I've been into a few places like Maplin and the right PSU (3V, -ve polarity, the right sized connector-doohickey) seems hard to come by. Anyone know where I can buy one that's compatible with the GP2X, be it on the internet or high street?

Cheers

I recommend a few things before worrying about a PSU.

1) Get an SD reader, they are much cheaper than a PSU, the USB mini is a wothless power drain on the GP2X.

2) Do you plan on playing more than 4-5 hours without taking a break? If not then get a set of Energizer 2500mAh NiMH batteries with charger, they are only about as much as a PSP standard battery pack, you get two sets (4 AA) and a charger.

3) Can you order a PSU from EvilDragon's german web-shop?

I got over 4 hours play-time from the Energizer NiMH Rechargables, Alkaline batteries are NOT capable of providing the 700-800 mAh constant current drain for any useful length, even if they were it is not worth your money to use disposables.

Are you using Alkalines?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a PSU is indeed essential. If you are playing at home, you don't wanna waste any batteries. Also rechargebles do take time to recharge and also they will die after a while. It is environmentally friendlier aswell (if you are a hippie)...

xnopasaranx posted on May 31 2006 at 02:35 PM said:
I think a PSU is indeed essential. If you are playing at home, you don't wanna waste any batteries. Also rechargebles do take time to recharge and also they will die after a while. It is environmentally friendlier aswell (if you are a hippie)...

Maybe he doesn't play more than 8 hours a day (2 sets of two AA).

Maybe he doesn't really want to be next to a power outlet.

I agree that a PSU is necessary if you are going to play more than the sets of rechargables that you have, or you play sitting near an outlet, or worry about the environment.

Edit: but if he is just burning money on Alkalines and using the GP2X as a card reader then that should be fixed before he gets a PSU.

The cost for an SD card reader and a set of Energizers with charger is about the same as a PSU

hmm I payed like 10 bucks for my PSU... so I don't know why getting one would be not a good idea. When you are near a power outlet it really pays off since you don`t have to waste your precious batteries... whatever floats your boat though.

xnopasaranx posted on May 31 2006 at 02:47 PM said:
hmm I payed like 10 bucks for my PSU... so I don't know why getting one would be not a good idea. When you are near a power outlet it really pays off since you don`t have to waste your precious batteries... whatever floats your boat though.
Where did you get a PSU for $10?

I am assuming it isn't regulated, unless you lucked upon a surplus/used one.

xnopasaranx posted on May 31 2006 at 02:47 PM said:
Where did you get a PSU for $10?

I am assuming it isn't regulated, unless you lucked upon a surplus/used one.
he will only notice that after it has fried its gp2x... ;)

well the ones on gp2x.co.uk are only £8 (~$12). I got one and then wished I'd spent the money on some rechargables. I've experienced some resetting when moving the unit due to a loose connection.

Back