Caanoo / WIZ What Port Does The Wiz Recognize?

splatbert

Still Fresh
Hey guys, first of, I'm sorry for not responding with thanks to the guy who helped me out with the ./trash-1000 file. I have been busy with school among other things, and I kinda forgot. But thanks a ton anyway.

So any way, I was wondering what port the wiz recognizes? Currently, I have made a female to female USB cable and have bought a wishield (WI-FI shield) for my Arduino, however I am unable to use these as I have no idea what port it is. I know there's a way to figure out, but it's slipping my mind and the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are talking about the EXT connector, it's the same used in GP2X. Is a 24 pins connector used by Samsung and LG phones. You can see more info here, but the connections are a bit different in Wiz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardyx said:
I think you are talking about the EXT connector, it's the same used in GP2X. Is a 24 pins connector used by Samsung and LG phones. You can see more info here, but the connections are a bit different in Wiz.

So when specifying a port, instead of something like dev/tty.serial it would be something like 15 for operating under the attached thing and 17 for being a host, or did I get this wrong. I'm pretty sure I did.

You appear to somehow be confusing the hardware pinout of the external connector for the Wiz with the software device node for a serial device.

I also have this disturbing image that you're attempting to hook up a microcontroller using the bundled Wiz USB cable and a female to female USB cable.

It might help if you mentioned what you are trying to connect to where, how, and why.

pseudonym404 said:
You appear to somehow be confusing the hardware pinout of the external connector for the Wiz with the software device node for a serial device.

I also have this disturbing image that you're attempting to hook up a microcontroller using the bundled Wiz USB cable and a female to female USB cable.

It might help if you mentioned what you are trying to connect to where, how, and why.

Yes that was originally the plan. I was going to write a console program for the wiz that would read data from the microcontroller, and in order to hook it up to the wiz I was going to do that. I'm terrible with hardware -_-

splatbert said:
Yes that was originally the plan. I was going to write a console program for the wiz that would read data from the microcontroller, and in order to hook it up to the wiz I was going to do that. I'm terrible with hardware -_-

The cable that comes with the Wiz is a USB device cable, it's only any use for connecting the Wiz to a USB host (eg. a PC).

You need to make yourself a USB host cable if you want to connect a USB device to the Wiz, get a Samsung E810 or compatible data cable (just for the plug), cut one of the USB female plugs off that cable you already have, and solder the wires to the USB host pins (at least GND, D+ and D-) on the plug from the E810 cable (see that pinout topic). Unfortunately, there's no 5V supply available from the Wiz, so if your USB device won't run from the 3.7V available, you'll most likely want to use a powered hub.

If you're having trouble identifying pins having obtained a plug from an E810 cable, post a photo of the dismantled plug, and I'll mark the pins on the photo for you.

This is of course assuming your microcontroller actually communicates using USB, if you're trying to connect to its serial port, you're also going to need a usb to serial converter (which probably will run off the 3.7V available).

pseudonym404 said:
splatbert said:

The cable that comes with the Wiz is a USB device cable, it's only any use for connecting the Wiz to a USB host (eg. a PC).

You need to make yourself a USB host cable if you want to connect a USB device to the Wiz, get a Samsung E810 or compatible data cable (just for the plug), cut one of the USB female plugs off that cable you already have, and solder the wires to the USB host pins (at least GND, D+ and D-) on the plug from the E810 cable (see that pinout topic). Unfortunately, there's no 5V supply available from the Wiz, so if your USB device won't run from the 3.7V available, you'll most likely want to use a powered hub.

If you're having trouble identifying pins having obtained a plug from an E810 cable, post a photo of the dismantled plug, and I'll mark the pins on the photo for you.

This is of course assuming your microcontroller actually communicates using USB, if you're trying to connect to its serial port, you're also going to need a usb to serial converter (which probably will run off the 3.7V available).

Thanks for all the help! I will be sure to post a pic if I have any trouble!

Back