What Is The Wiz Good For?

Iorgy77 said:
sbock said:
Can a mod please close here?

The question really should be "What is this thread good for?"

I totally agree, dude...

Meh this thread convinced me to buy a wiz, so its not all bad. If the negative things said about the wiz in this thread are its only problems, it sounds like a decent system.

Nice to read. At least that's something... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Iorgy77 said:
sbock said:
Can a mod please close here?

The question really should be "What is this thread good for?"

I totally agree, dude...

Meh this thread convinced me to buy a wiz, so its not all bad. If the negative things said about the wiz in this thread are its only problems, it sounds like a decent system.

I've had this review unit just a day, but I can tell you that you won't be disappointed, especially coming from the GP2X.

Orkie said:
Aside from the use of "asshole" instead of "arsehole", I would say it is a fairly accurate description! I don't think being described as British can be taken as an insult if you actually are British ;) .

That is just it, being described as British isn't an insult but the way he said it was implying that Brits were "assholes" as he lumped it together. That is the way I read it. Maybe just me but I think using someones nationality, race, gender etc as part of an insult makes one an "arse" themselves.

Iorgy77 said:
It is decent. It just depends on what bothers you as they all have flaws. The d-pad on the Wiz is not as good as the Dingoo but the shoulder buttons are better. The thing with the d-pad is the pivot should be about .5 mm longer. The best way to use it though is to press rather lightly, it seems to control better. If you really mash down on it it tends to do diagonals a bit too easy. Hope you like it though. Some here have bought both and liked the Dingoo better some have liked the Wiz more.

DaveC said:
BrokeDad said:
How much fail can one man contain? I mean really?

D.

Not as much as a brit asshole like you !!!
Oh my, how nice.

What does "Brit" have to do with anything? If he was black you would be using the "N" word too I suppose. And we (I hate to admit sometimes that I am from the US) wonder why the rest of the world hates us? With arrogant statements like that I think we know some of the reasons.

Can I have a clean teacup ... this one's got a storm in it 8-}

Being the Brit that I am, I have plenty of teacups to offer you. Being the brit arsehole that I am, I shan't be offering them.

Peter R said:
I really like the Wiz, especially due to the OLED screen. I had a GP32 FLU and I played it a lot (enough to warrant purchasing a BLU when it was released) and then I bought a GP2x. The GP2x got some use to begin with and then I just stopped using it really. For some reason it just didn't have the pull to keep me interested in it like the GP32 did. The Wiz, on the other hand, has had the same pull on me as the GP32 and I really like to just grab it frequently and play quick blasts of fun little games (which I suppose are the ones that appeal to me most).

I tried a Dingoo and was even asked to buy it (the owner didn't want it anymore) and I can't say I was interested in it either ;) .

I agree completely with this. In fact I had exactly the same consoles and feelings towards them. I never liked my First Edition GP2X anything like as much as the GP32s and the Wiz. I did buy a Dingoo, which I sold later, it was an impulse buy and couldn't match the Wiz's hold on me.

I think the Wiz is good to do everything the GP2X can do (providing the emulator gets ported) and some things the GP2X doesn't have the power to do. Such as full speed Amiga and SNES emulation. I would say there are a lot of MAME games that the GP2X doesn't have enough power to play at full speed that can now be played on the Wiz. I still love the GP2X f100 and I will still use it but I ordered a used Wiz for $100 that I will receive in a few days. It will be nice to have a joypad and to have the better screen, battery life, size and power. I never expect the Wiz to do PSX full speed. My PSP is good for that. I bought a used Wiz for $100 that I should receive in a few days. I hope it can play Cosmo Gang at full speed. Maybe it can do most SNES games with transparencies. It's interesting to me to see the progression of GPH and their devices. Despite the GP2X's flaws it really was ground-breaking at the time it came out. I think the Wiz is also ground-breaking with it's OLED screen.

I have 3 dead GP2X's (dead in the sense that I don't use them at all) and one Wiz. The Wiz is my MAME machine, it is simply awesome to have a little Arcade nostalgia hit every now and then .. couldn't really use it for anything else, for some reason I find it tedious and boring to have to set everything up, find the ROMs, blah blah .. but MAME was easy so thats as far as I got.

I really wish there some shared-filesystem approach to getting games and SD cards set up for the Wiz, and some way for us all to share these files, but alas I know the legality of things prevents so much progress in this department ..

This theads always ends in a battle between consoles.

Wiz is good for take everywhere because is light, compact and has a good battery duration (6/8 hours). It has a bright and clear OLED screen and it is open source. You can play to all 8 and 16 bits systems in smooth emulators, listen music or play Divx/Xvid videos.

torpor said:
for some reason I find it tedious and boring to have to set everything up, find the ROMs, blah blah ..
That'd explain your username then :)

torpor said:
I have 3 dead GP2X's (dead in the sense that I don't use them at all) and one Wiz. The Wiz is my MAME machine, it is simply awesome to have a little Arcade nostalgia hit every now and then .. couldn't really use it for anything else, for some reason I find it tedious and boring to have to set everything up, find the ROMs, blah blah .. but MAME was easy so thats as far as I got.

I really wish there some shared-filesystem approach to getting games and SD cards set up for the Wiz, and some way for us all to share these files, but alas I know the legality of things prevents so much progress in this department ..
The only way you are ever going to get around the 'having to set stuff up' problem is to just buy the and games are emulating, but even then you'd probably have to...

torpor said:

Alas, it seems you missed the days of gp2x-torrents and their famous 'SD Packs'.

If you're still wondering what the Wiz is good for, I just finished my review. Click on my sig to check it out.

Awesome review there, Nova. I particularly loved that Roseanne analogy you used there, lol. Very accurate!

It's funny to read that you're thoughts on Wiz were like mine, if anything strangely enough, exactly my thoughts (I love Wiz as well, mate).
Sweet as, anyway. Thank you for an honest and detailed review...And thank you to Mr. Han for giving you a Wiz to let everyone know what's up in almost 'laymens' terms.
Cheers. :wiz: B)

P.S. What's up with that Quake 3 thumb pic under the homebrew descriptions?

SONY said:
Awesome review there, Nova. I particularly loved that Roseanne analogy you used there, lol. Very accurate!

It's funny to read that you're thoughts on Wiz were like mine, if anything strangely enough, exactly my thoughts (I love Wiz as well, mate).
Sweet as, anyway. Thank you for an honest and detailed review...And thank you to Mr. Han for giving you a Wiz to let everyone know what's up in almost 'laymens' terms.
Cheers. :wiz: B)

P.S. What's up with that Quake 3 thumb pic under the homebrew descriptions?

Aaargh, wrong quake! Thanks mate, fixed now.

I never use UPS for items from overseas. Learned that lesson with the gp32. You see UPS act as customs agents and when applicable will charge you the maximum amount in duty, customs fees and customs agency fees.

Even though the wiz + 2 screen protectors is well under the threshold for chargable items I will never take that chance with UPS again. AirMail is good enough.

I payed nearly $400AU for the GP32 from LikSang 6 or so years back thanks to the arseholes at UPS.

Back