What File Systems For Sd Cards?

Yorper

GP32 Hardcore
Website
www.xbinx.org
Just curious but what file systems can the wiz read of a SD? I seem to remember the f100 i had could read ext3 formatted SD cards, but can the wiz do this? Also can firmware upgrades be performed from a card formatted to anything besides FAT32?

I only ask as i HATE FAT32 with a passion and almost refuse to have anything formatted as it.

Thanks in advance.

SD cards are usually FAT32, but why do you hate it? Fat32 does not support files of more than 4 GB in size - you won't have anything like that on a wiz. It's a pocket console, FAT32 is enough :)

Mr.TwisT said:
SD cards are usually FAT32, but why do you hate it? Fat32 does not support files of more than 4 GB in size - you won't have anything like that on a wiz. It's a pocket console, FAT32 is enough :)

The size of files that people will use on the wiz are irrelivant. FAT32 is a poor choice of a file system, its so prone to error its not even funny. That is why i wanted to know if anyone knows if it supports a superior file system like EXT3 or even EXT2. So FAT32 is nowhere near enough :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, FAT32 is pretty much a standard for devices, BUT I don't see why the WIZ/GP2X could not take an EXT3/2 seeing as they run Linux.. Should be a driver issue? Maybe someone can fix up a patch, or already has?

kingoddball said:
Yeah, FAT32 is pretty much a standard for devices, BUT I don't see why the WIZ/GP2X could not take an EXT3/2 seeing as they run Linux.. Should be a driver issue? Maybe someone can fix up a patch, or already has?

The Wiz may already support EXT3, my GP2X F100 did. Its just i really dont want to format a near full 16gb sdhc only to find out its something gph decided to remove with the wiz. Most annoyingly i dont have any other spare cards to test on, which is why i asked if anyone else already knew.

Might have to go buy a cheap 1gb card just for testing purposes then report back for others....

I just did a quick partition/format of an old SD card to ext3 and the Wiz didn't recognize it. Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere, but my computer didn't have any trouble reading the card.

Thanks for trying, maybe you need to manually mount the drive...

Try making a script executing the following command....

mount -t ext3 /mnt/sd

Failing that, is there any chance you could try an ext2 filesystem?

Again you may need to manually mount it, as with the F100 you had to manually mount it via a script...

mount -t ext2 /mnt/sd

Thankyou very much for testing though, i really appreciate it :)

Yorper said:

mount -t ext3 /mnt/sd

Again you may need to manually mount it, as with the F100 you had to manually mount it via a script...

mount -t ext2 /mnt/sd

Not much luck, the mount command throws up the "/mnt/sd" is not in fstab" error.

Optimistic said:
Yorper said:

mount -t ext3 /mnt/sd

mount -t ext2 /mnt/sd

Not much luck, the mount command throws up the "/mnt/sd" is not in fstab" error.

That's because you've not specified what you're mounting where. You need to specify the device as well as the mount point.

Enverex said:
Optimistic said:
Yorper said:

mount -t ext3 /mnt/sd

mount -t ext2 /mnt/sd

That's because you've not specified what you're mounting where. You need to specify the device as well as the mount point.

What device is the sd card? I tried to do a fdisk -l to see the dev entry, but for some reason that command didn't work.

When I do: mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/sd

I get "device not found"

There is almost no filesystem support on wiz, only ubifs and vfat I think?
You'll need to compile your own kernel if you want anything more.

Optimistic said:
What device is the sd card?
/dev/mmcblk0
/dev/mmcblk0p<partition_number>

Back