What Is The Wiz Good For?

Iorgy77 said:
I never use UPS for items from overseas. Learned that lesson with the gp32. You see UPS act as customs agents and when applicable will charge you the maximum amount in duty, customs fees and customs agency fees.

Even though the wiz + 2 screen protectors is well under the threshold for chargable items I will never take that chance with UPS again. AirMail is good enough.

I payed nearly $400AU for the GP32 from LikSang 6 or so years back thanks to the arseholes at UPS.

Oh?! Ok, that's shitty. :(
That reminds me that I once made a $1500 PlayAsia order, and used UPS, only to be hit with a 100-and-something dollar tax fee. I was totally taken by surprise and didn't have any money on me, so I used my CC, but was super-pissed that I was unaware of such fees...because apparently, and this is what the UPS guy told me went your package is over $1000, you're charged customs tax.

Anyway, sorry for going off-topic. Please let me know when you receive your Wiz, because I used PlayAsia AirMail (first time for me, lol) for some games the other day and wouldn't mind an estimate time of arrival. Cheers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my Wiz yesterday and I have to say I really love the Wiz. The display is overall great. The slight graininess to solid colors is something to me that is just distinctive and different and not bad. When you have a portable screen that has a response time, black level and contrast like plasma I think a little graininess to solid colors is no big deal but as pointed out this is subjective. Playing games like Galaga is like playing a tiny real arcade machine with the black starfield. I understand the Wiz is a complete different animal hardware-wise than the f100 but It's surprising that it takes 700 or 800 mhz to do what the f100 can do with 270 mhz. Perhaps this is due to optimization. Even if the Wiz had identical performance to the f100 I think it's worth it for the screen controls, rechargable battery and size alone. It's really quite an addictive little device and the price has dropped a bit. I gave $100 shipped as I said for mine and I think I got a great deal. I think gp2xstore has the Wiz for $150 shipped.

Glad you're loving it, mate. And you're a lucky bastard for getting it at that $100 price point.
I was really thinking of getting a 2nd one for myself, but I guess you beat me to it with the BIN button. :(

EDIT:
Anywho~ Enjoy it, because a lot of us are in the same boat as you are now...The Fun Wiz Boat. :wiz: B)

SONY said:
Glad you're loving it, mate. And you're a lucky bastard for getting it at that $100 price point.
I was really thinking of getting a 2nd one for myself, but I guess you beat me to it with the BIN button. :(

EDIT:
Anywho~ Enjoy it, because a lot of us are in the same boat as you are now...The Fun Wiz Boat. :wiz: B)

I saw my Wiz for BN $100 with free shipping and I thought about it and I kept watching the item and nobody had bid on it or bought it and it started eating at me and there was only a couple of minutes left and I was like OK I can't chance it by bidding just to save maybe $10 on an already great deal. It really surprised me that the Wiz was still there after days and I usually hesitate and snooze and lose. Anyway it's interesting that it seems a lot of people like yourself get a Wiz and see how impressive it is and want to get another Wiz or 2. I Would maybe buy another at a good deal because it's not something you can get at any Walmart or pawn shop. I think this is a testament to all of the people out there on the fence about the Wiz. I was more on the fence when the Wiz was $180 plus shipping but I think the very real looming release of the Pandora as opposed to all the times it just appeared it was about ready to be released has dropped the price of the Wiz. I will get a Pandora in a few years when I can get one on Ebay for $150 or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I originally ordered a Dingoo from Dealextreme, but after reading about the differences of the Wiz vs Dingoo, and the fact my order was still waiting to be picked 5 days later, I cancelled and ordered a Wiz from gbax.com that arrived the next day.

The main thing that sold it for me was the Amiga emulation.. There is no Amiga emulation on the Dingoo, where as the Wiz has pretty much handled ever game i've thrown at it, still hoping for A1200/CD32 emulation one day though, and maybe an updated PSX emulator.

It's a shame the Wiz's 3d chip hasnt been utilised for anything yet.

I also think the Pandora has killed development on the Wiz.. People who would normally be developing for the Wiz have already moved onto the Pandora even though it isnt out yet.

I hope there is no announcement of a Pandora 2 cos that would have the same effect on the Pandora.

You know what killed Wiz development for me? Not being able to easily get a terminal shell on the Wiz without having to hack up a cable.

Now that has changed (usb-serial gadget driver is available and useful now) I may just go back to do a little Wiz development .. but of course, the Touchbook and Zii Egg are getting a bit more love right now.

Back